IGNORED

Blue Tooth for non-Dentist Ludites

Albert

I just ordered a Zumo 660 to replace my Streetpilot 2820. Since it's stereo BT and I'd like to go wireless, could I simply eliminate my Autocom and go with Sena, for example, as a replacement? I'm not sure what, or how many, devices can be paired to a Sena but it seems like this could be a possibility. I run an ipod, phone, radar, intercom and gps. I'm thinking I might be able to pair some of the stuff to the Zumo and reduce how many I need to link to the Sena. I looked into just plugging in the Autocom BT boxes (I guess I'd need 2) but for the $$$ I may as well upgrade the whole system. No?

TIA

You can put your phone on the gps and move your tunes from an ipod to the gps also. Intercomm comes with the headset. Only thing left out is the radar. Maybe it could connect to the gps also; don't have one, never tried.

-----

No bluetooth experience, but after recently changing from a 2820 to 660 I did find the WIRED audio out from the 660 into Autocom,

is much quieter than the 2820.

May be worth trying to find out if the bluetooth output is similarly down, if only to avoid problems down the line.

John Bentall

The 2820 has next to no room for music - I have one.

To take advantage of the stereo BT on the Zumo, are you planning to move all your tunes from the iPod (proprietary Apple format) back to standard MP3 format to suit the Zumo?

Otherwise the main advantage of the Zumo is the SD card which allows a whole load more space for maps.

Last time I shelled out a load of dough for the 2820 a mere 5 months before the Zumo 550 was announced :dopeslap: Can someone tell me if and when the 660 is due to be replaced? Maybe it will never be replaced because that unit now slides into a slot in dash of the K1600GT/GTL........? But the 660 is missing a whole stack of features now available on the latest automobile GPS devices, which are fairly significant for a product to be used in both types of vehicle.

I think you might need a Sena Hub device for all the gadgets you intend to use.

Thanks John, I know what you mean about the memory on the 2820. I'm curious as to what you mean about the SD card providing lot's more space for maps. Do you mean routes, waypoints, etc.? I thought all the base map information was already in the unit.

Thanks,

The zumo unit has all the maps, points of interest (POI) on-board.

But, if you update to a newer map- which you will want to do on a regular basis, then it will either be required or at least very helpful to have an SD card.

Get the biggest one that will fit. You do not have to worry about "managing" the memory on the card since the base unit will just act like it is all one memory source.

You can also delete all the Voices in Foreign languages that you are unlikely to use... unless you like to hear directions in Urdu or Swahili...

Get yourself over to the zumo forums for all the latest information and help....

John Bentall
I'm curious as to what you mean about the SD card providing lot's more space for maps. I thought all the base map information was already in the unit.

Thanks,

Sorry Albert, that was a very EUROPEAN response. Our Zumo's come with the most popular Western European countries pre-loaded. If the more adventurous want to go to North Africa or Russia, then additional maps are purchased and loaded onto the SD card. I suppose the equivalent for you would be South America. I hope this helps.

John, what is involved in converting iTunes files to mp3 files for the zumo?

John

One other reason I hate iTunes. They intentionally have it set up to suck you into Apple hell once you start ripping and downloading music because it tries to store everything as the Apple proprietary formats. Here is what I do

For importing new music. If you go into iTunes, then click on Edit, Preferences, Import Settings.... It opens a new window where you can select the import encoder. Change the top box to "MP3 Encoder", and then choose your setting quality. I have mine set to 192kbps. From now on, any music you import via CD will be stored on your hard drive as an MP3 instead of the Apples proprietary format.

For music you downloaded from iTunes or songs you already imported in their proprietary format. Just go to your list of songs in iTunes, highlight the songs you want MP3 copies of, then right click and select "create MP3 version".

The only downside of this is that you now have an Apple version and MP3 version of the same song, which takes up 2x the space on your hard drive. I got lucky and did a bunch of research before iTunes sucked me in. That allowed me to get my settings how I wanted them before I imported anything. I keep MP3 versions of everything backed up on an external hard drive.

• 1 month later...
Autocom Matt
Only thing left out is the radar. Maybe it could connect to the gps also; don't have one, never tried.

Nope. Although if Garmin didn't abandon the "sport tour" market they may have decided to build an intercom enabled mount and have firmware capable of doing exactly that.

Autocom Matt

If you're going down the Bluetooth hole:

I'd look at using the MP3 player on the zumo and pairing your Sena straight to it. The Sena nor any other BT system with the exception of the J&M (warrantyless and chop your helmet to install) systems, will allow for listening to music while hearing a radar detector and talking to your passenger. You will connect to one and only one paired device at a time.

Here is the Scala Priotiry List:

The priority of the devices connected to the Scala Rider G4 are as such (1 being the highest and 5 the lowest priority) 1. Mobile phone audio or GPS instructions (device specific) 2. Intercom 3. A2DP audio source 4. FM radio (built-in) 5. Auxiliary MP3 Port (for corded connection e.g. MP3 players). For example, incoming mobile phone calls will interrupt ongoing intercom calls, while incoming intercom calls will interrupt the audio from the built-in FM Radio etc.

Sena offers a multi-point feature which lets you connect to two HSP sources at the same time. Understand this still won't let you hear music + x while talking with passenger.

Don't do the Autocom Wire3a's. I tried a pair prior to selling them and the sidetone is significantly delayed. This is a reality of the Bluetooth profile and a problem with all BT systems. J&M has it down to 90ms using proprietary profiles, but A2DP/HSP juggling will have you much higher.

Determine what's important and whether hearing the detector while listening to music is important -or- if a intercom conversation while hearing a street name is a necessity.

Bluetooth headsets have made big strides. Just make sure you don't expect multiple audio sources, are OK with ~5 hour real life battery usage, and learn the book because you will be fiddling with them while you ride.

I just bought a pair of SMH10 and the SR10. I've only gotten around to mounting the SMHs to our helmets, flashing the FW, doing a couple rudimentary comm checks (by myself with one ear plug from each helmet in either ear), charging, and looking for the right place to mount the SR10 on my bike.

So far, so good except ... I didn't hear ANY sidetone whatsoever.

Was it that I was doing something wrong OR is this how Sena gets around the sidetone delay issue?

I hope it's the former and not the latter ... As a former airborne communicator I can't imagine relying on ambient voice to substitute for the benefits of sidetone - especially ina moto helmet buzzing down the road at 70 mph. Please tell me I did something wrong and there is sidetone, but I just didn't know how to turn it up ... someone ... anyone.

Archived