IGNORED

13W Trail Tech HID replacement bulbs?

elkroeger

After some atrocious customer service at trail tech (it was like talking to Homer J. Simpson. Seriously, she grunted at me in response to a question!), I'm now in search for some replacement bulbs elsewhere.

Anyone got any ideas on where I can find a 13W HID MR11 "spot" bulb? Or should I just put these paper weights on ebay?

By the time you get done buying replacments for those unreliable TT HIDs you could have a reliable set of 10W LEDs on the bike.

More light, way more reliable. From Solstice, Denali, others...

I had the TT 30W version and should have given up on them a whole lot sooner in hindsight. Definitely NOT recommended.

Looks like those guys are selling a trail tech brand bulb. everyone's out of stock. trail tech is out of stock. I was thinking more like I'd find a generic replacement at Grainger, or lightbulbs.com, etc.

I won't fool around with these things too much longer. Prolly switch to a motolight, like I have on the other bike.

My Trail Techs went in the trash after several bulb replacements and a failed balast. My advice would be to cut your losses. They are a poor quality item.

I haven't investigated mine yet to see if it's the bulb, or a deeper problem. I suppose that's step #1, but hopefully it's just that and if so, no big deal to replace it.

-MKL

Dont know about the 13W ones but for the 30W ones there have been at least two ballast designs and 3 variants of the bulb design.

None are reliable.

The 30W bulbs taught me that it makes no sense whatever to use a modified indoor bulb design on a motorcycle unless its in a hermetic housing. When run without the TT's silicon covers in the wet, all eventually get water inside the bulb because it's front lens is simply cemented to the reflector with what appears to be a butyl adhesive- not at all like a 1 piece sealed beam design.

MotoLights get by doing the above because they have a good housing to protect the bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, actually... trail tech does have a "flood" version of the bulb available (trailtech.net). I haven't bought it because I want the "spot" bulb, which they don't have anymore.

I may convert my remaining light to a bicycle light. Or maybe I should put it on ebay (I'll give you a heads up, if I do).

Mine are spots too. I guess I can convert them to floods. They don't do much anyway - mainly on for conspicuity.

-MKL

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered two floods from Trail Tech. Apparently the floods are going to be discontinued as well, pretty soon, so I bought one for spare. $50 each. Ouch!

-MKL

• 1 month later...
louisvillebob

I have a set of Trail Techs, one side running spot and the other side running flood, and I can't tell them apart. Have replaced two ballasts and several bulbs, mostly under warranty. Units have been generally unreliable. Will eventually replace with LEDs. Water does get in the burner assemplies (bulbs), but soon percolates out under operating heat, without doing any discernable damage. Use them only for daytime conspicuity. My experience with customer service has been excellent, but that was several years ago. Haven't needed customer service lately.

Archived