IGNORED

Possible Seat Fix for short Person

Splais

So I recently purchased an R1100RT. It is starting to appear it was a huge mistake. I haven't owned that many bikes, but had a few. This R1100RT is just about the most uncomfortable bike I've ever sat on. I'm going to try a couple of things before I decide to put it up for sale. One of my problems is that I'm only 5'8" tall in my boots. Currently I'm riding the bike on it's stock seat in the middle position. At the lower position it's pure torture and at the highest position I can't touch the ground on both sides. Putting it delicately this bikes seat design shoves my "boys" forward and cramps things down there terribly. I've ordered an Airhawk seat pad to try (cheapest thing to try first), but I'd like to hear from any R1100RT riders in my size about what if anything you did to improve comfort? Right now I would not even think about taking this bike on a long ride. The right aftermarket custom seat is an option. omments?

You are in the right place for answers. First you need to pull the seat off and examine the supports. Some of the rubber can be trimmed off to lower the back of the seat supports (3/8"?)so that the front can be lowered with the provided adjusters and still not slant forward too much. Second what I did was to pull the upholstery vinyl off by pulling the staples out, then trim (bread knife) away the foam down to the harder plastic supports on BOTH sides of the Front of the seat so that at a stop you can slide slightly forward and put your legs down nearly flatfooted on the ground. Third, trim the back of the seat to fit your butt with a finishing sander with coarse grit. I deepened the pocket and cut a 1" wide rounded groove down the center front to back like many bicycle seats. SIT, try, redo, sit, try, redo and when it is right restaple the streched uphostery back on with a construction staple with 1/4" or 5/16" staples. or spend $$$$ on custom seat

I went out and removed the rubber bushings, just for a test, seems to make a difference, will try a test ride tomorrow. thanks.

PS: should mention I forgot I had another thread were a good bit of aftermarket seat advice was provided. Here, I'm looking for changes as mentioned above - something other than just buying a new seat for 25% of the bikes value :(

The most common mod is to add spacers below the front mounts - known as seat jacks. This recent thread discusses the options open to you in some detail.

I have a 27-inch inseam, am 5ft 6in tall and I run a comfort seat jacked up by about 3/8-inch at the front. I ride 12-hour days without issue after the mods.

Andy

Richard,

Your design in the linked post above is a great idea, but how about a slight modification? The stock seat adjuster is designed to provide support along three planes in order to minimize the ability of the seat to come loose.

Unfortunately your design only has one set screw per "L" bracket... if a screw comes loose on one side then the bracket can swing inwards and become disconnected from the seat, and it is only a matter of time before you have a screw loose. :)

I suggest you lengthen the bottom of each bracket and secure the bracket on each side with both stock set screws. I would also make two 1" wide "U" shaped brackets that span in between of and are bolted to the front and back of the two side brackets (it doesn't look like one long "U" bracket on top will clear the shock mount). Doing this will provide support along three planes and make your design much more secure.

Bill, The brackets have 60,000 miles from me alone and countless from others on this site who have tham and they never move.

Talk to Rich. He'll fix you up - he even does mail order work.

I had the same problem (sitting on da boyz) on my RS. And my wife had the short problem on her 650CS. Years later, and some cross country trips, and we both would do it all over again.

Sorry Richard, but I disagree about the safety of your current design. Vibration is inherent to a motorcycle, and the vibration combined with the rider shifting his weight on the saddle will eventually loosen your single bolt design. If either one of your individual seat brackets comes loose it will lead to a dangerous situation.

The way to ensure maximum stability is to brace the design in all three planes. If you had cross-bracing between your two brackets and then secured that assembly to the frame with four bolts, the seat would stay in place even if all four of the mounting bolts came loose. By contrast, your current design only takes one loose bolt for the seat to separate from the bike... why take the chance of this happening?

Feel free to do it that way.

Like Richard stated, hundreds of thousands/millions of miles on

the change outlined above and no reports of issues I'm aware of.

Make the changes and document with photos.

Most likely people will appreciate the option.

Well my first modification was a huge failure. I ordered an Air Hawk R seat cushion. complete waste of money. Did nothing and not one bit better than without it no matter how I positioned things.

On my bike with the seat in the lowest position I can put my feet flat on the ground but this position throws me to far forward and is VERY uncomfortable. The second mod I tried was to put some spacers under the front of the seat and cut down the rubber bushings at the back. Doing this and putting the seat in the center position on the bracket moves me up and rearward and provides a more "level" seating postion is actually not too bad. I cannot put my heals on the ground but enough of my foot on both sides to feel comfortable. It appears that the secret to comfort is not so much the heighth as it is getting your "boys" off the tank and back a bit. This also changes the leg angle to a less bent position. I've ordered Mick-O-Pegs as the next step.

Bill, I use Richard's brackets and I'm entirely satisfied. If I had the slightest question about the bolts coming loose I'd just add a bit of blue locktite on each one and rest assured. Richard is a hero for making those brackets.

Archived