IGNORED

BMW tank bag map window

Crawdad

My BMW tank bag which I love had the dreaded map window death. I took off the reminants and was trying to find a way to get the map window feature back. I found a cheap reliable work around from ECLIPSE Sport and Touring Motorcycle Luggage. I bought their "MapPouch 3-Point". I threaded the two front snaps through the tank bag mount in the front and the third through the seat adjustment bar, voila a good sturdy replacement that still gives an instant off of the tank bag. Ready for the tail of the dragon in May.

Look around your area for a ''top and trim'' shop. They often make convertible tops for older sports cars, They could possibly replace your map bag window. It's worth a try.

While we are on this topic, anybody know how to best preserve the original window?

Dave

I'm sorry if it sounds facetious, but the only way would be to keep it in the dark.

Unfortunately BMW chose a clear plastic that is easily degraded by UV light; a very poor choice for a tank bag window. As mentioned above, a place that does boat tops should be able to provide a superior replacement.

While we are on this topic, anybody know how to best preserve the original window?

Dave

"303 Aerospace Protectant" will make it last longer. In some automotive shops or West Marine.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Dave

"303 Aerospace Protectant" will make it last longer. In some automotive shops or West Marine.

Thanks algover!

Dave

Archived