IGNORED

Tank bag repair

Quinn

My Big Mak bag needs some work. The zipper has several bad places in it dispite my efforts to clean, reform, and wax the teeth. Where can I send or take it to have the zipper replaced or is there an option of adding the bottom sleeve and velcro flap to the bottom of a new bag?

------

Paul Mihalka

If Big Mak was active, he would be the best. Too bad he is AWOL. Recently he had a post on Advrider so he is still alive.

I just did some work on mine...zipper wasn't grabbing using one pull...seams coming loose. I took it to the local tailor, and in broken English he said "impossible". Long story short, I reworked the zipper pull with two sets of pliers, cleaned zippers with a toothbrush and compressed air, nylon thread and needle on the bad seams along with a blazer microtorch on frayed seams, silicon spray and wax on the zippers...a washing and 303 protectant...dang thing is maybe better than new!

Look for a luggage repair shop. They have all manner of zippers, snaps and parts and the skill to do a proper repair.

There's a small one locally that has done great work on a couple of old tank bags.

If you decide to buy new...might give these guys a try http://www.rka-luggage.com/

I had some minor issues with tank bag thread after having it 7 years. Wrote them and asked if I could buy a new one since I liked it so much..They said no can't buy it, but we can send you one for free as our bags are warranted for life.

No affiliation etc...but shameless plug for a good supplier.

I'd try a place that fabs/repairs boat covers. They deal with zippers, snaps, etc. in similar fabric. If you have trouble finding one,any marina would be able to refer you to one.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I may end up trying a place that advertises luggage repair, but for now I've got it working. I'd tried cleaning it up with a toothbrush, flossing out between all the teeth with a dental pick, and snipping any loose threads. Didn't work. Then I used a pair of slip joint pliers and squeezed the sides of the pulls a little tighter on the tracks and that worked. I'll see how long it lasts before having to go to plan B.

-----

elkroeger

Send it to Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle. They are a "factory authorized" repair outfit for BMW, among others.

http://www.rainypass.com/

I've had them repair dozens of items (gore-tex, backpacks, etc.) and they always do a top notch job. I have complete confidence your tank bag will look like new. (no affiliation)

Archived