IGNORED

GoPro Helmet Mounts..........

Redbrick

Curious about taking a 3M adhesive camera mount shoe from a helmet..That stuff is super strong....Is it possible without damage and how's it done?........

Thanks.......

Lots of glued on emblems on newer cars these days, so the guys are using fishing line to remove them, gently sawing back and forth....

Maybe a little acetone to remove the leftover glue, then a good waxing....

Oh yeah-hey good to hear from ya :thumbsup:

Don J :wave:

Thanks Don........I haven't mounted the shoe on the helmet yet but it's a pretty new Arai and wondered if you could ever get these things off....Norman has a good idea; slice under the mount through the double stickyback with a razor leaving a thin layer still on the helmet and then work at getting the rest off carefully....Anyway, no big deal but will be using the GoPro for the first time next week as we're going up the Valley and over one or more Sierra Passes the next day......Then back down to Lone Pine for the night and over Walker Pass for lunch in Kernville and home the next day....A two nighter....

Hope to see the "Wild Bunch" soon..

Phil......

I was wondering...

Is acetone safe to use on a helmet? I've seen it do a pretty good job of eating plastic...

I was wondering...

Is acetone safe to use on a helmet? I've seen it do a pretty good job of eating plastic...

Yeah, not too sure about that one...... :dopeslap:

Don J :wave:

PhilipJCaputo

I've got a mount for my Coutour+ 3M'd to the side of my Shoei. It sticks to the helmet like it was part of the helmet from the factory.

After a small accident I had in July, I pulled the 3m sticky from the old helmet. It was VERY difficult to remove by hand, VERY difficult. But the 3M pad came off very cleanly and without any residue.

I imagine that some dental floss would have made it even easier to break the glue bond little by little.

The 3M VHB foam adhesive GoPro uses is unbelievably strong HOWEVER, a steady TWISTING action will allow the stuff to release. I did it once and the stuff comes off clean and leaves no residue.

Archived