IGNORED

Helmet liner cleaning

Trojan

Morning all. I have a Shoei multitech - most of the foam liner isn't removable. How do you clean the foam liner? Shoei suggests damp cloth, and maybe that's ok, but it doesn't really get the job done. Any thoughts?

Thanks. John

Wet clean cloth, light soap, wet clean cloth, air dry thoroughly.

Wear a head covering as that prevents a lot of liner issues from the get go.

Don't be afraid to scrub it, just let it dry completely.

Sailorlite

Is there anything about a Multitech that's not waterproof? Why not just submerge the whole helmet and try to work plain water in and out of the padding?

RockBottom

I'd recommend against the Fabreeze. I did that and after a few hours in the heat, the aroma became quite overwhelming and unpleasant. I use Helmet Fresh and I leave little muslin sacks of cedar balls I bought at Lowe's in my helmets whenever I'm not riding. Aeorstich makes a cedar filled sack for this, but the home made version is about 20% of the cost of the Aerostich version.

I was down to Shoei North America in Tustin a couple of weeks ago getting some cheek pads and I asked them for the same advice on cleaning the nonremovable liner. They said take the helmet in the shower, shampoo the liner and rinse well, then dry. I thought it was an odd response. At least they didn't say to use conditioner.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Remove the cheekpads.

Using some baby shampoo in warm water, soak a very clean absorbent rag or towel. Then daub the rag all over the remaining liner. Get it good and wet and try to get an exchange of moisture between the two on each daub. I try to avoid wiping to minimize stretching of the material. I will get most of the liner from both sides for soaking and the later rinse. When I do this I take a good 20 minutes, or so, total for all the steps. When you think you've gotten all your head oils touched by the shampoo solution, repeat with clean warm water. I change the water out a couple times to get the shampoo out of the liner. Also, get rid of the rag or towel after a couple rinse go-rounds. It'll help the rinse.

While doing all this:

1. Soak the cheekpads in baby shampoo and then rinse thoroughly.

2. Wipe the hard foam under the liner with the cleaning solution and rinsing solution.

New cheekpads can be ordered from, I think, Revzilla? I replaced mine after the second wash and the helmet fit much, much better.

When all is said and done, you'll have a helmet and head that smells as good as a baby's butt. And, it won't turn bad smelling if you eat Gerbers Green Beans, Tapioca or Squash.

Wear a head covering as that prevents a lot of liner issues from the get go.

+1

As far as cleaning, I'd turn it upside down, fill it with warm water and dump in a cap full of Woolite. Rinse a few times and let it air-dry..

Good luck.

I use a foam helmet cleaner (spray in, wipe with towel and let dry). When I'm not wearing one of my helmets, I put a Bounce dryer sheet inside and put it in a helmet bag.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the gentle soap and water approach, maybe woolite, and see how it goes. I always wear one of those under armour skull caps, and I'm sure that helps some, but it's time for a washing.

John

Morning all. I have a Shoei multitech - most of the foam liner isn't removable. How do you clean the foam liner? Shoei suggests damp cloth, and maybe that's ok, but it doesn't really get the job done. Any thoughts?

Thanks. John

I've been using Nikwax Techwash on my old Nolan N 100 helmet twice a year for the past 8-9 years. Yeah I know, that I should have replaced the helmet long ago but it fits me so well and I have never dropped it. I wash it in the kitchen sink with a couple of ounces of Techwash and warm water then rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Then I just set it upright on a clean rag and let it air dry for a few days. The helmet always feels brand new and when I am wearing it for a significant length of time, it gives off a faint odor of cinnamon/lemon. Nikwax Techwash is available at many sport clothing clothes (at least in ) Canada.

Thanks. John

I've been doing this for years, and have posted how to do it several times on this board. (BTW, the suggestion to wear a Helmet Slik liner is excellent).

1. Remove all electronics/communication devices from the helmet.

2. Remove the face shield

3. Open all vents

4. Fill your kitchen or utility sink with warm water and Woolite (baby shampoo will also work)

5. Submerge a folded towel to the bottom of the sink (it helps keep the helmet from getting scratched).

6. Submerge the helmet and massage the soapy solution into the padding. Repeat the entire process if the helmet is particularly stinky.

7. Drain sink and rinse towel.

8. Refill sink with warm water. Place soap-free towel at the bottom.

9. Submerge helmet and massage the water into the liner to rinse out the remaining soapy solution. Repeat at least once, if not twice.

10. Leave the helmet at room temp (or out in the sun if it's warm) with the opening side down for at least two days, or until it feels dry inside. Adding a fan if indoors helps speed up drying. Replace faceshield and comm devices and go riding.

Once a year and my Shoei helmets have never had an odor problem.

The easy way:

Remove Shield

Remove cheekpads

Remove electrics

Pop it in the dishwasher, air dry (medium temp!)

HI. I have a Multitec. I love it. When I get home, I place it over a small open box of baking soda. YMMV.

---John.

RockBottom
Then there's the easiest way -- forget about cleaning it.

Foam earplugs will also work in nostrils.

Then there's the easiest way -- forget about cleaning it.

Foam earplugs will also work in nostrils.

:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks. John

I've been doing this for years, and have posted how to do it several times on this board. (BTW, the suggestion to wear a Helmet Slik liner is excellent).

1. Remove all electronics/communication devices from the helmet.

2. Remove the face shield

3. Open all vents

4. Fill your kitchen or utility sink with warm water and Woolite (baby shampoo will also work)

5. Submerge a folded towel to the bottom of the sink (it helps keep the helmet from getting scratched).

6. Submerge the helmet and massage the soapy solution into the padding. Repeat the entire process if the helmet is particularly stinky.

7. Drain sink and rinse towel.

8. Refill sink with warm water. Place soap-free towel at the bottom.

9. Submerge helmet and massage the water into the liner to rinse out the remaining soapy solution. Repeat at least once, if not twice.

10. Leave the helmet at room temp (or out in the sun if it's warm) with the opening side down for at least two days, or until it feels dry inside. Adding a fan if indoors helps speed up drying. Replace faceshield and comm devices and go riding.

Once a year and my Shoei helmets have never had an odor problem.

+1

:thumbsup:

Archived