IGNORED

Road Ready bag on a BMR

kltk165

Bill_Walker

Nice bag, but I'd be very careful of overloading it. I'm pretty sure that just what I pack in my top case exceeds the rated load limits of the case and rack. Adding another bag on top of the case could far exceed the limits. Pack only light stuff in there!

The bag is fairly rigid. While it doesn't have to be full to maintain its shape (The bag is empty in those pics) if you put weight on top of it it will collapse.

Agreed on the possibility of overload. If I load up my 49L top case liner with clothes it comes in at about 20lbs. Rated load as per BMW is 22lbs. I'm hoping BMW did their usual job of over engineering it's equipment and that the rack the top case mounts too can handle 30+ lbs.

Nice bag, but I'd be very careful of overloading it. I'm pretty sure that just what I pack in my top case exceeds the rated load limits of the case and rack. Adding another bag on top of the case could far exceed the limits. Pack only light stuff in there!

:thumbsup:

I actually weigh my loaded bags before each trip and have a check list with the weight of general items.

Have gotten pretty good at distribution, ususally w/in 1/2# or so on each side.

Same w/GIVI which I try to underload and keep things needing ready access like rain gear, gloves, cameras, etc.

And we're generally packing for two.

Good luck.

Tim,

Why do you purposefully underload your Givi? Trying to keep weight low?

The R 1100 R I just bought has a 55 L Givi which is big enough for t full face helmets and room left over. It is on a Givi mount, which doesn't seem to be as stiff as the BMW topcase rack.

I think the GIVI is rated at 10kg, would have to go back and check.

Over the years we've developed a system of loading the bag liners in a certain way so that I don't have to open saddlebags at stops, just the GIVI.

My GIVI is mounted differently than yours, it has two metal side rails that attach to severl points on the bike frame and the rack then is bolted to those rails.

Prolly the strongest top case mounting design system available.

Personal choice for us about what conveniences we want available

w/out opening side cases.

W/2 of us, I carry a variety of gear, liners, gloves, depending on destination and time of year.

I'll put rain gear in a plastic bag, gloves in a plastic bag, camera gear, etc.

If we have to stop to add or change gear it is accessible and ez to find.

The bags keep items separate and dry.

For day trips ours holds 2 helmets plus a bunch too.

We carry microfiber clothes and other lightweight gear.

By keeping weight down, if needed, I can take rain gear and put it in H2W mesh bag on topcase luggage rack and have room and weight available to add something to the GIVI.

Archived