IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road 2

jbr7t

My 1150R is in neet of new shoes! I have PCR 2's on it currently and have been very happy with the longevity and even wear. So far the best price i'm finding for the set is on motosport.com at $269.99.

1) Anybody delt with motosport? Good / Bad / Indifferent?

2) Anybody know of a source that may have a better price?

(ps..I'm really not a fan of shopping online, I'd rather support my local economy, but my local dealer isn't stocking the PR2 now that the PR3 is out. PR3 sounds nice and all, but the price is SIGNIFICANTLY higher)

On an additional note:

I guess the "targeted marketing" plan is working. A side ad for Revzilla just came up with the Shinko tires. Anybody tried these yet? They are about $100 less than the Michelin.

Shinko ravens are fine tires for an older, chicken strip rider like myself. 10,000 miles front and back similar to the 880's. Lowest cost per mile I have found.

Shinko ravens are fine tires for an older, chicken strip rider like myself. 10,000 miles front and back similar to the 880's. Lowest cost per mile I have found.

And for those non-chicken strip types too.

The only thing I don't like is the channel down the middle of the front tire, it does not like grooved pavement more than other tires I've used.

I guess, I'm in this boat as well. I'm a firm proponent of good equipment. I've run both the PR 2' & PR 3'. Both are excellent tires and I have/will get 12K on this current set of 3'.

I also realize that my riding skills never approach the capabilities of my RT or the tires. Consequently, I've considered the Ravens, but really think my next set will be the Conti Motion Sports.

Perhaps, my thinking is skewed but I can justify somewhat less mileage for the price difference and don't think the Motion' will offer any less, in terms of overall safety for my riding style...or lack thereof.

Have any run the Conti Motions Sports...what are your opinions?

Vol

RAMBLIN RED

May I suggest "sanity strip"?

James I have bought tires from motosports. They had the tires to me the next day, but I think I am close to them. I have found that the PR2's will give better mileage than the PR3's.

Two brothers tires out of Atlanta might be a hair cheaper. Linky

Alan

I have seen mixed reviews on the Shinko's. I've heard of their street tires wearing out quickly (4-5k miles). Also, there are big threads over on ADVrider about their dual sport tires having tread separation issues. Lots of nasty pics with big bubbles showing up in the treads.

Sorry, I can't take that chance.

PR2's were always my favorite. Great handling and they always wore evenly.

Yes, I too consider it a sanity strip. No matter how good you are there is always the cager coming around the blind corner in your lane, the deer deciding to cross the road twice, the rock that picks this time to roll down the mountain, the piece of plywood flying out of the pickup going the other way, etc..

I don't doubt the problems, They are, after all, Chinese now! But I am on my #3 set of Ravens with no problems. I can't address racing of any type since I don't race. I have been over 100mph on occasion with these tires and my chicken strips are small at times. I like the Michelins too but whoo hoo the price they are or use to be! To tell the truth I expected better mileage out of the PR2s than I got (~10,000) after the hype they put out. When the Chinese Shinkos first got here you could get a set for $125 and so far I have heard only good about the Ravens. Now they are slowly pricing themselves out of consideration IMO.

I recently (about 1k miles ago) mounted a Shinko Raven rear with a PR2 front.

So far, so good on both. No real noticeable wear on either. Haven't been able to test them on the rain yet though...

I have seen mixed reviews on the Shinko's. I've heard of their street tires wearing out quickly (4-5k miles). Also, there are big threads over on ADVrider about their dual sport tires having tread separation issues. Lots of nasty pics with big bubbles showing up in the treads.

Sorry, I can't take that chance.

PR2's were always my favorite. Great handling and they always wore evenly.

I found some of those reviews as I started to dig a little deeper last night. For less money I'd be ok with a little less mileage..though 4 or 5k is way less miles. But yes, can't take separation, bubbling etc. Safety is HIGH on my priority list!

So, PR2's I think will be the way I go.

Archived