IGNORED

ipod with new RT

bgf50

Has anyone been able to get the ipod to work with the new rt sound system?

It has not worked since I bought the bike but this week I had a sofware update done at the dealer to fix the problem and it still doesn't work. It will play maybe 3 songs and then display "no usb" which is exactly what it did before the update.

If there is a real fix I would love to know what it is.

Thanks

Bill 2012 Rt, 09 KLR

No answer to your question because I've been having the same symtoms on my 2010 RT: one speaker will cut-out then come back on, cannot advance or replay with the controller,won't recognize the ipod, volume control appears to not make music louder than level 12-14 even when taken to max 20, etc. Have another appointment at BMW San Francisco in a couple of weeks. The service manager said he will contact BMW to see if any new fixes have been discovered. It's a pain not having it operate as intended. Wish they would have kept the CD player. I'm researching custom ear plugs and aftermarket music systems. Stay tuned.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Is there a special connector that is needed to do that? Mine just has a 3.5mm input and USB socket together on the pigtail.

Yes, there is a special cable to connect to ipod. If I use just the usb connector I can load up a usb memory stick with mp3's and it will play them but with the ipod the names of songs will show up on display and you can make playlists that will work.

Has anyone been able to get the ipod to work with the new rt sound system?

It has not worked since I bought the bike but this week I had a sofware update done at the dealer to fix the problem and it still doesn't work. It will play maybe 3 songs and then display "no usb" which is exactly what it did before the update.

If there is a real fix I would love to know what it is.

Thanks

Bill 2012 Rt, 09 KLR

What generation iPod are you using? Are you connecting using the BMW cable or an Evil-Bay special?

I have an older iPhone 3G I'm using as an iPod on my '12 RT, and have no issues.

FWIW, I do understand the frustration with the NO USB issue -- I had a K16GTL which had the same issue until BMW released a firmware update a couple months ago.

Interesting that a new RT would have problems with the iPod. I'm not an iPod/iTunes guy, but did play around a bit. Using a "neXplug iPod Adapter Charge and Audio Cable with USB and 3.5mm for Select BMW and Mini Cooper Car Models" that I ordered from Amazon for $22 and my daughter's cast-off iPod, I had no problems getting the thing to work.

The iPod is a Gen 5 30Gb unit (or so I'm told by iTunes).

My radio software is:

RBT

Radio type: RBT

Part No.: 7713627

Hardware Index: 1

Coding Index: 2

HWOE No.: 26819657

Manufacturer: Preh

MCV: 0.6.2

FSV: 2.1.0

OSV: 3.3.0

Using iTunes I built some play-lists on the iPod which can be seen in the attachment below. The number of songs in each play list ranges from 12 to 289.

Using the "Source" button on the panel I can get to the iPod. "Mode" toggles the play lists, though the play list title never shows up. The controller ring toggles the tracks, and each track shows up momentarily as "TrX", and then shows the first few characters of the song title. It's played for over an hour with no hitches.

Next Sunday I'll be riding all day; if it pukes on the road I'll certainly post up.

I'm probably telling everything you already know, but maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.

Tom

6010.jpg.11916a77b25809ba3376c850f7a78148.jpg

It's interesting that this has been mentioned, because I'm experiencing the exact same problem on the K16GT. I use my iPhone, and I have the "official" BMW pigtail connecter. When using the mp3 player, it'll play a song or three then disconnect, citing "no usb".

What's frustrating is that this only happens when riding. While sitting in the garage, I can play an entire playlist with no issues. Possible heat issue?

I'll mention this to the service manager when I take it in for the 6k service on Friday.

I should also note that the iPod was reset and formatted for use on a Windows 7 system and all the music files are .mp3.

Tom

It's interesting that this has been mentioned, because I'm experiencing the exact same problem on the K16GT. I use my iPhone, and I have the "official" BMW pigtail connecter. When using the mp3 player, it'll play a song or three then disconnect, citing "no usb".

What's frustrating is that this only happens when riding. While sitting in the garage, I can play an entire playlist with no issues. Possible heat issue?

I'll mention this to the service manager when I take it in for the 6k service on Friday.

That is exactly the behavior K16 owners have been experiencing before the latest firmware is flashed into the bike. The update cures this.

I should also note that the iPod was reset and formatted for use on a Windows 7 system and all the music files are .mp3.

What bit rate are the mps files encoded? The BMW audio system can't "see" anything higher than 256kps.

That is exactly the behavior K16 owners have been experiencing before the latest firmware is flashed into the bike. The update cures this.

Thanks, Mark. I'll ask about the firmware update.

Thanks, Mark. I'll ask about the firmware update.

This is what is frustrating to me. I had been looking at the K16 forums because at one point I thought I might get one. Anyway I saw that the ipod was not working so I was not surprised that mine did the same thing on the new RT. But now everyone is saying the software update fixed the problem on the 1600 but I just had the update on the RT and it still does the same thing. It will play maybe 1 to 4 tunes and then display "no usb". Dealer wants me to come in and have update done again. Only problem is dealer (who is absolutely great) is 3.5 hours away so I need to take a day off work. I'm also not convinced that this is the problem. Surely when they do the updates there is some software handshaking that goes on to let you know it was successful.

Archived