IGNORED

Genital worries

RT3

I have been a lurker on the site now for a year or so, and finally today, I registered so I could post.

I own a 2010 R1200RT with a Rocky Mayer (of Bill Mayer Saddles) seat. I don't know what to say; I think the seat just does not work for me. It completely pushes my nuts INTO me. I can ride 30 minutes without extreme discomfort, after 30 minutes, it's hell.

Looking online, the Airhawk R appears to have some sort of cut out for the genitals. I am thinking of buying one to try out.

Has anyone else experienced genital discomfort on a seat and had it cured by the Airhawk R? I can mail my seat back to Bill Mayer Saddles and maybe get it fixed, but I don't want to spend $100 unless I know it will be fixed.

Looking for feedback.

I have a Rocky Mayer seat (I've used it for about 80k miles on my 07 RT and it's now on my 2011 RT). I rarely have that problem. On rare occasions, my underwear will get bunched up inside my jeans and I will have that problem if I try to sit as far back into the seat as possible. The Airhawk may (or may not) fix the problem. I think the first order of business should be a phone call to Rocky.

First off, Welcome to the board! :wave:

I had the same situation with my BMS seat when I was having it made. I did a ride in, so was able to remedy the problem at that time. What they did was to take a drill (3/8"?) and put a bunch of holes into the foam in that area. After that it was nice and cushy. I'd try giving them a call and see if they can help you out. They were pretty good folks to work with. Spent about 4 hours getting mine right for my wife and me.

If you're handy with upholstery, you might be able to do this yourself.

Your profile dosesn't say what area you're located in, but if anywhere near Ojai CA, you might be able to ride in and have it done while you wait. That has the added bonus of knowing it's right before they re-cover the seat.

Just so you know, it took about 1,000 miles for ours to "break-in" and really get comfy.

Good luck!

I have a BMS seat (via mail order not ride in) and have no problems caused by the seat. I have had issues if I wear regular baggy shorts and Olympia overpants - the shorts and pants bunch up differently (and painfully) than my Olympia Phantom or Aerostich Roadcrafter - both of which seem to drape better over that area. If I wear a snug short like LDComforts, the Olympia mesh overpants aren't a problem either. If I'm wearing regular shorts under the overpants I have to adjust myself before riding off or I'll soon be stopping to do it.

I have an 1100 RS. One complaint I had was that I was chronically sliding forward, and wound up sitting on my nuts. Some people manage to tilt the seats back with washers or some kind of spacer under the front seat mounts. I had Rich build me a seat and the problem (along with some others) was solved. If it were me, I'd go back and ask myself if the cause is from sliding forward on the seat (seat's not level), from leaning forward on the bike (can you sit up straight and still reach the bars), or some other reason (like really big nuts). From there, you should be better able to arrive at a solution with Rocky Meyer.

However - before you go back for a seat mod - make sure you try wearing some loose, perhaps even baggy pants and drawers. Personally I find that if I've got on my Levi's 501's, and a pair of whitie-tighties, I'll have that same problem all over again. Especially in the summer time, when I'm liable to get sweaty. You see rock climbers and arborists will have "diamond gusset" jeans like arborwear, or perhaps some stretchy pants like these from REI, made from a schoeller type material. That little extra gusset or stretch may give you enough room to solve your problem. Don't ignore your drawers too - experiment with loose or stretchy (personally, I like a boxer brief like these at REI, or there's lycra shorts that are popular like LD Comfort ) avoid cotton. Avoid the sweat too, as that can cause things to bunch up where you'd rather not have them (go for a fast-drying synthetic material, and avoid cotton). Some people like bead riders, some like sheepskins, and there's probably other solutions to keep things from getting sticky. Anyway, that's where I'd start.

What causes problems for me also is sliding forward; better or worse depending on pants. My only solution so far is to stand up every once in a while and shake down a little extra room in the crotch. Probably should have the seat reformed to help with the forward slide.

You can also try golf tees. The guy at the pro shop told me that I could drive further if I put my balls on them.

-------

B4 anyone can suggest info, you need to provide more.

Build, gear, etc.

What are you wearing now?

Jeans?

No, no.

Cotton underwear?

No, no, no.

What type of riding style and seating?

Cruising and upright, sporty, leaning MYRP?

How long have you ridden?

What other bikes?

Same problem?

Etc.

Your size, inseam, experience, will all factor in to a solution.

Year and years ago there was a thread on this that I can't find anymore.

My personal suggestion w/out more feedback is to wear wicking riding undergarments or bicycle type shorts, dedicated riding pants that fit, and use MYRP.

Good luck.

Jockey makes a jock strap type of underwear that helped me and a company named Exofficio makes synthetic underwear that doesn't stretch out in the legs like cotton......A little costly but hold their shape well....Very good for travelling as they dry overnight after a washout..... Find them on line....Cabella's carries them.......

Of course, the baseball player "rearranging" act craftily disguised as "just stretching my legs by standing up" is necessary no matter what your wearing or who made your seat....

I just looked at the Exofficio's, specifically the Boxer Briefs. The only picture they showed was from the front, so I could not tell if there are any seams that would be between my derriere and the seat. I find these are the biggest cause of irritation for me. I emailed them the question, but if anyone here knows, that would be appreciated.

Peter Parts
Castration will solve your problem.

One of the things I really love about this board is how individuals can bring their own personal experiences to bear*.

Ben

*or should that be "bare"?

A custom seat maker, like Rocky Mayer, should be able to help you get this straightened out.

Maybe it's a Mayer thing, but my Rick Mayer saddle for my R12ST caused a similar affliction until I adjusted it to have the front of the seat in the highest position, with the back one notch down. I don't own an RT, and don't know how its seat height adjustment works, but you might be able to obtain some relief by getting the seat angle to cant back to some degree. Back in the day of the R11RT, there were some aftermarket products that raised the front bracket slightly.

Personally, I would first try modifying the seat, before opting for the Airhawk.

Castration will solve your problem.

One of the things I really love about this board is how individuals can bring their own personal experiences to bear*.

Ben

*or should that be "bare"?

And what I love is that a guy with the handle "Peter Parts" replied to a thread about genital worries. Too funny.... :rofl:

Glenn.......No seam in the back at all.....

Phil,

Thanks for the quick, affirmative response. I love the fact that we can (sometimes/usually) get information here more quickly than from the manufacturer.

Glenn

+1 on the exofficio from REI. I bought one of these; http://www.rei.com/product/684397/exofficio-give-n-go-boxers-mens

and one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/694431/exofficio-give-n-go-boxer-briefs-mens

both are great. One of the salesmen said his father was a long distance motorcyclist and uses these on his rides, and now I do too. I recently wore some cotton boxer briefs on a day long ride and I noticed the diff.

MotorcycleWriter
Go commando. Let the boys go where they wish to be.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, road rash.

Go commando. Let the boys go where they wish to be.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, road rash.

Negative. While I was in the grunts, the underwear wearing people would get the "monkey butt" after long hikes whereas I wouldn't, they would also rash up on runs.

I've done 15 hour rides without so much as a hot spot. To me, underwear is a useless garment and I have no need for them ;)

I have a rick mayer seat on my RT, I hate it, but it does look cool, Going to send it to russell when I can get the time

Bill_Walker

I have Bill Mayer Saddles on both of my bikes. I did a ride-in to get the one on the V-Strom, but the BMW came with one from the original owner. The latter isn't perfect for me, but it's good enough that I've ridden about 50,000 miles on it.

Neither one gives me any problems with genital pressure. Something is wrong with either your saddle or your anatomy, IMHO.

Well you and the rep from Ex-Officio said the same thing, no seams in back. I received them yesterday, and, well, there are seams in the back. I am going to assume they have changed somewhere along the line, but I was very frustrated to say the least. They go back today.

Well you and the rep from Ex-Officio said the same thing, no seams in back. I received them yesterday, and, well, there are seams in the back. I am going to assume they have changed somewhere along the line, but I was very frustrated to say the least. They go back today.

Ummm, I would try them out first. I love 'em. Just a suggestion.

Glenn Reed

Ummm, I would try them out first. I love 'em. Just a suggestion.

Glad to hear they work well for you, but at this point, it's not about how they work, it's about how they dealt with me.

I can understand the thought process, but this kind of service, where I ask a very specific question and am given false information from the vendor, means to me that I do not do business with them. If they had said something like yes, they do have seams, but they are very flat and you might want to try them out anyway, well that's different. Instead they told me there were no seams when in fact there are.

I realize that this might be something to overlook, and I don't have a problem with that if others want to give them the benefit of the doubt, or give them a try. For me, returning the entire order and never doing business with them is the solution that fits.

gmarktbone

I deal with this constantly. I could turn 300 mile days into 500 miles days if I ever get this problem solved, so I look forward to seeing what folks have to say.

I know the original poster, so I have answered him personally. However I thought I would share with the rest... The Airhawk R has cured my comfort problem. I've been using it for some time now, and the reality is, when properly inflated, it is as good or better than any custom seat that I have used. That is not to say that it'll be perfect for everybody, but for me, I think it is as good as it gets.

As mentioned many times before, inflation is critical. It should be inflated so you are a a quarter to a half inch off of the seat. Over inflation of the Airhawk will make the seat very uncomfortable, in my experience.

Good luck!

I use an Air Hawk- one of the prototypes for the R. It does help.

A friend had your issue with his Russel. We peeled the leather back and took a 4" grinder to the crotch area. He would sit for a while, carve some more out tasdill comfortable. Worked.

I have this issue some, but my tailbone hurts worse!! I had Air Hawk customize one w/o any air cells under the tailbone. Helps.

Archived