IGNORED

HIGHWAY PEGS

ully211

Have Sahara Elf pegs on my '09 RT but the arthritis in my right knee makes it pretty uncomfortable to have my leg that high.

Is the Ilium Highway peg the only other alternative out there? Just trying to look at EVERYTHING out there - and obtain opinions from the great folks on BMWSPORTTOURING before I pull the trigger on a replacement peg.

Look forward to your recommendations.

Elf pegs makes pegs for the 1200 but they are of the same style, that is, they mount to the head. The Illium's look the best but you need crash bars installed for them to mount to.

I have the Elf's but am not crazy about them. Ok for a short stretch time.

Dean Wirsing

On my 07 RT, which I bought in April 2012, there are brackets bolted to the valve covers. The passenger pegs (or spare footpegs) go into these brackets. The pegs are located at the leading edge of the valve covers. Not sure of the make, I can look tonight. These position your feet out further in front, at the same height as the Elf pegs. Thus, your knees might have less bend in them.

I haven't really used them, so I can't comment on them one way or the other. I think I'd like to try the Elf pegs, though.

Dean

Nice n Easy Rider
Elf pegs makes pegs for the 1200 but they are of the same style, that is, they mount to the head. The Illium's look the best but you need crash bars installed for them to mount to.

I have the Elf's but am not crazy about them. Ok for a short stretch time.

Ilium makes a set that will mount directly to the frame of an 09 RT.

http://www.iliumworks.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=230185&InfoID=5919&ShowLarge=True

I had the Sahara pegs on my 06 RT and could not use them. They rotated my legs too high and bothered my hips. I ended up selling them.

I just installed a set of illium pegs. I just took a short ride and they are definitely better than the Sahara pegs for me.

http://www.iliumworks.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=230185&InfoID=5919&ShowLarge=True

I have yet to take a long trip, but first impressions so far are good.

I've got the Illium pegs on my 09 RT. They are ok but not particularly comfortable. Not because the peg itself is not comfortable but rather they are still too high for guys who have longer inseams. They would be much more comfortable if they were a little more forward and down IMHO.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I was at their shop this morning. Mechanical Engineer's fun house with all the CNCs and smell of cutting fluid.

Nice setup.

Have their pegs on the 11RT and ordering them for the 12RT with the relatively low profile mount.

Thanks for all of the inputs.

Sounds like reviews of the ILIUM are mixed as well ... I'm 6 ft with a 32 inch inseam. The thing I like about the ILIUM is they are mounted lower than the ELFs...

I have the Illium pegs and they do tend to ride high, although I like mine very much and they are compatible with the engine guards I have on my RT. Another option you may want to look at for something that rides lower is Mick O' Pegs, which I've seen at a couple of larger events.....nice guys, interesting product. Check it out:

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

I have the Illium pegs and they do tend to ride high, although I like mine very much and they are compatible with the engine guards I have on my RT. Another option you may want to look at for something that rides lower is Mick O' Pegs, which I've seen at a couple of larger events.....nice guys, interesting product. Check it out:

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

Gotta agree on all of this. Had the Iliums and got rid of them for the Mick-o-Pegs. The Iliums made me try to reach around the heads to get to the peg - probably a longer peg would help...and like the Elf pegs, I still tended to end up resting my ankles on top of the pegs in order to get my leg out straighter.

The Mick-o-Pegs fold downward (& are sprung so they fold back up automatically when you take your feet off) and are much more comfortable for me. Don't be surprised if you scrape a boot heel when you lean over a bit taking some highway curves but no harm there. They're not the most attractive pegs out there but they're the best I've found for comfort.

Another option is get 1 inch engine guards such as ZTecknic and mount any of Kuryakyn highway pegs using their 1 inch clamp. Can move the peg fore/aft and cant it up so your foot is perpendicular to the peg. Folds up easy for leaning.

Bill

Thanks for all of the inputs.

Sounds like reviews of the ILIUM are mixed as well ... I'm 6 ft with a 32 inch inseam. The thing I like about the ILIUM is they are mounted lower than the ELFs...

They ride MUCH lower than the Sahara (elf) pegs. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inch inseam. I was unable to use the sahara pegs..

Archived