IGNORED

Cold/Wet Weather Jacket and Pants

Pennys Dad

Ok folks

I opened a Warm/Hot weather jacket thread a few weeks abck and got great information, so I am going to follow it up with a Cold/Wet Weather Jacket and Pants. I have an Aerostitch 1 piece and it works ok but I dont like it much so I am going to sell it and fund its replacements.

This is for cold weather and rain. I was thinking the Gerbing Xtreme jacket and pants.

What are your thoughts?

Alpinestars Drystar jacket and pants here.

Been down to 26 in them. Rain protectiion outstanding.

Had them 3 winters now, used daily rain or shine.

Good luck in your search.

MB.

I have a First Gear Kathmandu jacket and a pair of their HT overpants. That is my cold/wet weather gear and I couldn't be happier. Neither has ever let me down and that includes a 10 hour day in a completely soaking rain. I don't even reach for my Gerbings anymore unless I am going to be out for multiple hours under 50 degrees.

Its the best jacket I have ever used as long as the temps stay under 80 degrees. Above that it is too warm for me. The only thing I would like different about the pants is more substatial armor. They have foam knee and hip protectors, but I would prefer something a little more beefy. Probably going to splurge on Motoport next.

Darien jacket & pants. The most waterproof gear I have ever owned!

When it gets cold I wear the Gerbings jacket for the liner and plug it in if it gets real cold. I use fleece pants for the lower liner in the cold.

Darien jacket & pants. The most waterproof gear I have ever owned!

When it gets cold I wear the Gerbings jacket for the liner and plug it in if it gets real cold. I use fleece pants for the lower liner in the cold.

+1 -- just about exactly my rig now.

Alternatively, if I *really* want to layer-up for a single-digit ride, I have an over-sized one-piece Roadcrafter

I've been through so many different variations of rain gear I feel I should be a paid tester.

My current setup, and best so far, is my Olympia AST jacket coupled with Firstgear Rainman over pants. The AST is very versatile. It has a great venting system that really extends the temperature range. With Gerbings I've ridden 400 miles in rain/snow. With the vents open, I am good to a bit over 80.

SteveHebert

I use a Firstgear Sirocco suit that has been amazing over the past 9 years. So much that I just purchased another jacket for my wife. They stopped production on the suits many years ago, but I found one that had been sitting in a closet with the tags still on it. They were pricey for a jacket back then ($475) and are pretty heavy. I believe the Kilmanjaro replaced them. I have also used the Firstgear HT overpants which are still available at a decent price. The suits are 100% waterproof and are very warm, especially with a Gerbings liner. I have ridden in the teens wirh no issues. Longest and wettest ride was back in 2004, up I-81 for about 600 miles of 40 degree temps, rain and mist from all the trucks whizzing by. Again, no issues.

I love the durability and looks of the BMW clothing and have the airflow and club jackets, but I parted with my Savannah and 3 phase jackets because of the absurd system of having a waterproof inner liner and not the outer. I tried to make sense of why BMW does that but I could not and still cannot.

Good luck in your search,

Your profile says you live in southern California, so how cold is "cold" for you? I have been very pleased with gear that includes a mesh outer jacket for warm weather, with a removable insulated, waterproof liner. This combination, over a couple of base layers, works for me down to about 35°, which is about as cold as it ever gets in southern California. Adding a Frog Toggs rain suit over worked well in 300 miles of rain from Tok, AK to Haynes Junction, YT. The Frog Toggs and the waterproof liners pack down very small. A few months ago, I decided my 12-year old fleece vest had reached the end of its useful life, and I replaced it with an Arcteryx Atom LT vest that is incredibly light, packs down to almost nothing, has windblock fabric, and is at least as warm as the old fleece vest.

8918.jpg

Obviously, I'm a big fan of layering, and multi-use garments, rather than a single, do-it-all approach.

Pennys Dad

How cold is cold for me :-)

I noticed as I get older I get colder.

But I have been using smart layering, basically under armour cold gear top and bottom, riding pants (not water or windproof) and gerbing heat and a riding jacket (not water or windproof).

I want to keep from getting wet and wind chilled :-)

Here is southern Ontario Canada the weather can go down to -35 and up to +35c

I have a Olympia Phantom riding suit. take out the liner and the vents cool you very well and is water tight. Even with out the liner it is warm and dry.

Layering provides the most flexibility. I keep my Roadcrafter for commuting runs but use other stuff for longer runs.

Cold weather setup at present is a RevIt Scirocco jacket (has windproof rain liner plus a thermal liner that I rarely use). Its thermal liner gets replaced with a Gerbings or Warm N Safe jacket under the wind/rain liner when temps get to low 30s or less. Have used it in low 20s, about as cold as it gets where I live.

Pants are RevIts also with both a thermal liner and wind/rain liner. I use both in the winter and pull the thermal one when temps get near 60 or more.

Don't need electric pants or boot liners and with heated grips and shields to cut wind rarely resort to electric glove- thinner gloves give better control feel and the BMW Winter Glove is plenty for around here if temps go to mid 30s or less..

I use the above for 3 seasons and have separate mesh gear for summer use - also a Veskimo for A/C....

Learned to ride in the 1960s and darn near killed myself from hypothemia a few times. Way too old for that level of discomfort now. Gear has come a very long way and its now possible to be completely comfortable in almost any condition with proper choices..

Around here it can go from 42 and rain to 90 and full sun in 1 day so if on a long run when cold I, LDComfort/Darien jacket and pants/Kanetsu heated vest w/sleeves, plug in and go.

When it turns hot (Minnesota Hot) on the run I remove the Kanetsu from the mix and adjust air flow into the Darien and keep on trucking!

The Darien has been the most versatile outfit for me and after 10 years when a long ride and questionable weather awaits me the Darien gets the call!

:thumbsup:

Archived