IGNORED

fixing a gouge

rabbibgr

I put the /5 on it's centerstand,it was too close to the RT. The rear rack bumped the front of the RT. I now have a gouge about 1/32 of an inch deep and 1" long. How do you repair the plastic, is there any kind of filler that wont just make things worse. appreciate any help.

Thanks, Don

If the gouge is on the plastic, on the RT, the plastic is painted. If you fill it, it will still need paint.

Most of us are of an age where we would have trouble seeing a gouge 1/32 x 1 with a magnifying glass.

I promise that you will never have anyone going near your bike with a magnifying glass.

dc

With such a shallow gouge as this, I have in the past had success by "filling" in the damge with layers of the correct paint using a small artist's brush. By "small" I mean tiny and you can find one at an art supply store. Let each layer dry before applying the next one because (1) the paint will "shrink" as it dries and (2) you can imediately wipe off any mistakes without disturbing the earlier layers. When the paint is sufficiently built up and dried, you can come back with some polishing compound to carefullly smooth it down before applying the final wax. This is not a perfect solution but it's simple with minimal disturbance.

Archived