IGNORED

Hard Bag Scratches

Sonor

Just curious how others would take care of any hard bag scratches. Where would you order your paint and clear coat? What sand paper would you use? If it is just one bag, would you do both of them to make them identical? Would you just take it to a pro shop?

Thoughts?

well.. you could wet sand with grits ending all the way at 2000. Colorite sells spray cans and you must get clear coat. it actually works pretty good if done properly.

I tried polishing compound on my old RT and it didn't get the scratches out.

Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? I ask because before I traded my old RT in I toyed with the idea of getting the cases painted. I got 2 estimates from local body shops and both were in the $300 range. The dealer routinely has these painted before he sells a used bike and gets it done for a much better price. He told me if I scratched the new ones to sent it to him to have painted.

Bill

2012 RT, 09 KLR

w2ge

That is one sharp looking graphics kit. At $40 it has the same look as the $650 two tone paint job BMW does.

dc

WestyLancs

Think my 'get rear ended at a stop light and let the insurance pay' is a bit of a non starter really !!

I didn't actually think that, but that is how the scratches on mine came to be sorted by the bodyshop. :clap:

TADT

I look at them as inevitable and try to be positive

about it as most are from my pillion and I see them as

a way to relive the many trips together.

Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? I ask because before I traded my old RT in I toyed with the idea of getting the cases painted. I got 2 estimates from local body shops and both were in the $300 range. The dealer routinely has these painted before he sells a used bike and gets it done for a much better price. He told me if I scratched the new ones to sent it to him to have painted.

Bill

2012 RT, 09 KLR

Who is the dealer?

Maybe I've got it wrong but adding up the prices on the parts list I come up with about $130.00. Pretty pricey for vinyl graphics.

^^depends on how bad it is... and how much you care! ;-)

I'm looking at this to cover my hard bag scratches.... (one way to get ride of them... at least till I drop it, again.) ;-/

http://www.autotrimdesign.com/Shopping%20Pages/Installation%20Information/Custom%20Graphics/ATD-BMWMGRPH29/ATD-BMWMGRPH29.htm

The only problems I see with this is full coverage of the scratches and applying the strips without air bubbles.

Bill

2012 RT, 09 KLR

+1 on cost of DYI versus professional repair. I've seen side cases repainted locally by a professional shop with BMW paint and looked like NEW! Cost was $150 per case lid. For an extra couple $$ I'd go with professional shop.

Archived