IGNORED

R1200RT Yellow tankbag map window - SOLVED

k9gromit

So when I bought my RT the salesman was kind enough to toss in a used tank bag in exchange for $25 to buy his shop guys lunch. Bag was in perfect condition except it suffered from the dreaded yellow map window disease. Saw some folks here who have taken it to boat canvas shops etc. and had it redone but I wanted a cheaper and easier solution.

Here it is: Wolfman Map Pocket

The "plain paper map pocket" is the one you want. A little velcro on the old, yellow cover and, volia, a clear window.

Cheap as chips, covers the old one almost perfectly (Use it to store other maps?) and if it yellows, get another one in a few years, it's only $13.

Safe Journeys...

From Wolfman's description, three velcro strips are stuck to the tankbag's map pocket, or perhaps around its edges. What I'm wondering is whether those strips stay stuck given the flexing and heat/cold exposure the tankbag endures. In other words, can you remove and reattach the Wolfman without it unsticking the velcro? (Is the velcro half on the pocket sewn on instead of stuck on?)

From Wolfman's description, three velcro strips are stuck to the tankbag's map pocket, or perhaps around its edges. What I'm wondering is whether those strips stay stuck given the flexing and heat/cold exposure the tankbag endures. In other words, can you remove and reattach the Wolfman without it unsticking the velcro? (Is the velcro half on the pocket sewn on instead of stuck on?)

I'm certanly going to find out...Should it become a problem, the map case really does not need to go on/off the bag as the Wolfman design allows. The BMW bag has a fixed map pocket.

Plan is to clean the surface well with alcohol and put the velcro on the yellowed surface using a couple of bricks to weight it down for 24 hours. If it looks like removal/reattachment will cause a problem, I'll avoid removal. I'd like to be able to remove it, however, as I like the new larger pocket better than the one that came stock on my Wolfman Denali and I would like to use it on that bag as well...

Hope that works. Always glad to know a cheap fix. Please let us know how it works out.

I wonder if anyone has tried the kit sold to restore car headlights. It polishes the haze and yellowing off the polycarbonate lens and, they claim, makes them as good as new. Might be worth a try, especially if you already have some to use on your ageing car.

pete

Got the weight (a huge atlas of the world) sitting on the lid of the tankbag now, pressing the velcro in place. Confidence is high and it looks very good.

Love to see a pic when you have a chance.

I'll take a pic tomorrow if I get a chance. Very satisfied with the results.

malcolmblalock

One suggestion. I know from my experience that the yellowed cover gets brittle eventually. And it looks ugly.

Consider cutting it off (easy) and attaching the velcro directly to the black cover? I've done that with a gallon zip lock baggie and it works just fine. I like Wolfman mapcase better, and I'll probably do that later, but in the meanwhile, the zip lock bag will do just fine.

One suggestion. I know from my experience that the yellowed cover gets brittle eventually. And it looks ugly.

Consider cutting it off (easy) and attaching the velcro directly to the black cover? I've done that with a gallon zip lock baggie and it works just fine. I like Wolfman mapcase better, and I'll probably do that later, but in the meanwhile, the zip lock bag will do just fine.

The yellow plastic on mine is very pliable (wonder if there was more than one formulation) and seems to be holding the velcro well. Sewing is beyond my abilities... :dopeslap: And, yes, it is ugly as sin...

Considered the ziplock idea, there are some mil-spec zip-lock map cases out there that were attractive but the Wolfman just works.

malcolmblalock

I'll probably do the Wolfman when I get back from the MOA and the Unrally, unless, of course, I find it offered by a vendor while on the road.

Nobody will ever see it?

Everybody's seen it now.

great idea - Wolfman is top quality. Aerostich sells a similar map pocket, if the dimensions don't work for your bag

My yellowed plastic did not become brittle, but it weakened to the point that it just fell apart. I trimmed it off and attached the velcro for the Wolfman to the underlying black surface. It works great. Also, I went for the larger of the Wolfman pockets. It fits very well.

• 2 years later...

Archived