IGNORED

Wunderlich Rear Protection Bars

moshe_levy

Guest Kakugo

Hi Moshe. I had them.

Fitment requires removal of all the rear end tupperware not to mention some "convincing" because fitting is not very precise. I suggest downloading the additional set of instructions from the Wunderlich website since the included sheet leaves something to be desired.

I ended up removing and selling them because I didn't like the look.

All in all they probably work well in conjunction with a good engine bar... however I did some back of the envelope work and found out it's probably cheaper to get a couple of scratched bag covers from a breaker's and have them resprayed with that thick, durable coating they use on flatbeds.

I figured there would be minor fitment issues. I actually like the look, sort of RT-Pish if you will, plus the functionality of additional anchor points for luggage. I may splurge on them.

-MKL

Hi Moshe,

I've got the front / engine version by Wunderlich.

I've never used them in anger, but they seem capable of doing their job.

My only complaint is the chrome plating isn't top notch. One run in road salt, that I wasn't aware of was enough for the

surface rust to set in. Metal cleaner sorted it, but I was surprised at how easily they started corroding.

Maybe one of the painted finishes may fare better.

I have the front ones, and had the bike roll forward while on the kick stand and fall. I am not real impressed with them. They worked, but barely. Had the bike been moving at any speed, I doubt they will do much good. They are sufficient for the no speed drops. The amount of rebending afterward, and what I had to do to fit it was more then I would expect on something that cost so much.

I have them. Never had to use them but my SO loves the extra handhold. They really look dumb without the saddlebags though.

CaseGuards-1.jpg

[/img]

I have both the front and rear bars from Wunderlich; mine are powder coated silver. So far no drops so I can't comment on their effectiveness. The rear bars are a minor PITA to install, you have to take off the tailight and the luggage rack. That's where I had a problem the cheap plastic luggage part wouldn't come loose because the cap nuts had stripped out of their plastic and were just spinning around. Got BMW to warrant the part (otherwise $250) and finished the install. Won't be taking them off anytime soon.

Kinda gives the bike a Reno 911 look.

• 2 weeks later...

I put them on today. Some minor fitment issues, but nothing too bad. Overall I am pleased with the "look" on my bike, and they appear quite sturdy! I'll write up a short article for BMW Owner's News on them this week.

-MKL

Judging only from the picture, they appear as if they'd prevent the saddlebag from crushing but not much else? It looks (again from the picture) that even laying the bike down while not moving would result in contact. No?

Looks are deceiving. I'm not sure about sliding off the road into uneven ground, but these bars should be effective in the parking lot or flat roadway.

See the

, starting here at 45 seconds.

The bike seems to angle down to the front when it is on its side, giving more clearance to the rear of the bar.

Larry

Al-

The vid shows the bike lying down, no contact to the cases. I believe that is the main functionality here, not so much high speed crashing. Since they made a vid that's pretty clear, I didn't think it necessary to lie my own bike down, to check! :grin:

-MKL

Just finished the article for BMW Owner's News.

wunderlichbars.jpg

Now, is it just me, or do the bars on the right side (brake side) sit much closer to the system case than the bars on the left (clutch side)? You guys notice that too?

-MKL

• 3 months later...

Moshe. I'm looking forward to your review of the Wunderlich Rear Protection Bars in MCN. I just bought a 2009 12RT and I'm seriously considering a set of these bars. I never carry a passenger so I'm not concerned about the passenger's legs hitting the bars, but I do wonder if the bars make mounting the bike more difficult when you swing your leg over.

Rinkydink: I'll ask you and anyone else with the Wunderlich rear protection bars the same question I asked Moshe; Do the bars make it more difficult to mount your bike if you are of average height? My boot often hits the far-side bag. Looks like the bars would make it worse.

Al, I still occasionally have trouble clearing them. I usually step on the left foot peg and that surely helps that.

I haven't noticed any changes in mounting the bike, but I've taken martial arts for a few years and don't mind kicking my leg up and over too much. Even without I don't think it really makes a difference. About the only thing I'd be concerned about (and have no real experience with) is interference with pillion's legs, depending on her inseam and general positioning. For me, it's not an issue, and I've already used the bars as very useful tie-down points for luggage. I'm very pleased with them thus far.

-MKL

PS - This will be in BMW-MOA Owner's News, not in MCN

• 1 month later...

Hey, Moshe,

I got my Wunderlich rear protection bars mounted and I'm very pleased. Just wondering if anyone has had to remove their rear wheel since mounting the protection bars. The bolt that holds the muffler would be nearly impossible to get to because of the bar's mounting bracket. Any thoughts? I thought about replacing the Torx cap screw with a standard hex head bolt which should resolve the issue since it could be held from the side with a wrench.

Hey, Moshe,

I got my Wunderlich rear protection bars mounted and I'm very pleased. Just wondering if anyone has had to remove their rear wheel since mounting the protection bars. The bolt that holds the muffler would be nearly impossible to get to because of the bar's mounting bracket. Any thoughts? I thought about replacing the Torx cap screw with a standard hex head bolt which should resolve the issue since it could be held from the side with a wrench.

That's exactly what I did. I wrote it all up for BMW ON but they have yet to publish....

-MKL

That's exactly what I did. I wrote it all up for BMW ON but they have yet to publish....

-MKL

Thanks, Moshe. I guess that's what I'll do. I'm looking forward to your review.

Archived