IGNORED

dew rags whatever

majrosebud

It's in the 90's and humid. Do those dew rag things keep your helmet from getting stanky. I have pretty good ventilation in my schueberth, but I wouldn't want to put it on if it wasn't mine. Or should I go commando?

It's a doo rag. It has to do with putting pomade on your hair. Probably not appropos for your ethnic persuasion, tho' one can never be certain. The word comes from hair do.

I've never heard of a dew rag.

Nothing will keep a helmet from getting skanky after a while.

You can sometimes replace the lining. But you do have to just get a new helmet from time to time.

dc

A lot of the liners can be cleaned and put it the deep freeze in a zip lock for a couple weeks to make sure everything is dead.

You can sometimes replace the lining. But you do have to just get a new helmet from time to time.

dc

It's a lot easier and quicker to pull a sweaty, funky doo rag off your head and throw it into the laundry than it is to remove a helmet's liner and do the same. You can also get a couple of spares cheaper than getting an extra helmet liner. In fact it's a whole lot cheaper to get a doo rag than replace a good helmet that is otherwise serviceable but completely funkified.

Think about it: that doo rag is absorbing the sweat and catching the salts and other minerals that would otherwise soak into the lining and stay there for a couple of months (or eternity) until (unless) you get around to removing and laundering it. Don't worry about your ethnic persuasion; get what works for you.

It's in the 90's and humid. Do those dew rag things keep your helmet from getting stanky. I have pretty good ventilation in my schueberth, but I wouldn't want to put it on if it wasn't mine. Or should I go commando?

In a word, yes.

I never put my helmet on my head without a balaclava like what MC and car racers use. Think of it as an undershirt for your head. Would you wear your riding jacket with no shirt, day after day, sweating in it? Sure you can wash it, but it will be more comfortable, and you'll have to wash it a whole lot less frequently if you wear a shirt.

I find it also increases the comfort and improves the fit of the helmet.

A lot of the liners can be cleaned and put it the deep freeze in a zip lock for a couple weeks to make sure everything is dead.

I don't think that works. Cold--at least home freezer levels of it--keeps bacteria from growing but doesn't actually kill them. Imagine if you took a piece of rotten meat and froze it. It wouldn't be unrotten when it was thawed--the bacteria making it rotten would have just been in suspended animation.

I don't think that works. Cold--at least home freezer levels of it--keeps bacteria from growing but doesn't actually kill them. Imagine if you took a piece of rotten meat and froze it. It wouldn't be unrotten when it was thawed--the bacteria making it rotten would have just been in suspended animation.

Depends on the organism. Spore forming bacteria will survive it. A dedicated freezer may be colder...

I've been using the same old cotton liner for years but recently switched to a higher tech "headsweats" version one than in that link. I walk several miles everyday and (um) my head sweats, so got a few of these for that but found that one works better inside my helmet than the old cotton job since it stays in place and wicks due to 100% Coolmax.

Depends on the organism. Spore forming bacteria will survive it. A dedicated freezer may be colder...

Just pee on it first...

Under armour skull cap. Got a few, into the wash after each wearing. Helps the helmet hygiene.

The only way to go.

Slight hijack

Dirtrider, it's funny they spell it both ways in this ad. #6 pic is spelled doo rag. WTF

They're probably a racist company as it's only the black one that is "misspelled"...tsk tsk tsk. On another note, what makes some of them high performance?

Hijack done, talk amongst yourselves.

Cycle Gear is promoting their new hot weather clothing line, so its on sale. I stopped by there the other day and I picked up a do, dew, doo, due, doo doo rag for only $5 (I think $10 normal). Now that's a deal.

For me it wasn't so much about the heat or sweating... I started shaving my head, so unless I shaved it in the last 24 hours I have velcro-head, making getting the helmet on/off miserable. The dew rag is working great for being able to get the helmet on/off with ease.

I bought a high tech skull cap, whatever, from the local

BMW shop. Only been riding with it for a few days. I do have good ventilation with my Schueberth. The cap is soaked when I get home, but I think it's because I'm sweating more. I don't feel the air going through the helmet as much. I do look cool though. :wave:

My problem with any of the skull caps is that they make impossible to get my glasses in there once my helmet is on.

Archived