IGNORED

Your opinions about gear.

Polo

I'm in the market for some gear.

I'm inclined for Rev'it: likely this any opinion or experience?

Any suggestions for like-priced gear is welcome.

I am well aware that there are many other brands. Money is a factor. Unless you're making a contribution - which BTW I'm willing to accept - spare us all any lectures on the virtues of taking on a second mortgage to buy gear.

Thanks in advance.

There is a bit of discussion on some similar models here so I suspect the same would apply to the Turbine. I've been very impressed with the quality.

After colliding with a deer, I survived a 100+ foot slide down asphalt, starting at 45 mph. My mesh pants and jacket had a fair amount of damage, but they were still intact when I came to a stop, and I literally did not have a scratch. Injuries were limited to a cracked pinkie and a few bruises. I have no reservations about well-made mesh gear, as long as you accept that it's essentially disposable, single-use equipment. For me, the comfort factor in hot weather far offsets the reduction in protection compared with something like race leathers or a Racecrafter.

Gear that doesn't fit and isn't comfortable is unlikely to be worn, and provides no protection whatsoever.

No real opinion about the brand you mention, but I do have an opinion about this source... especially for the budget sensitive:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Good source. I've had good luck with my FirstGear leather jacket. Their textile and mesh look good and very inexpensive. I'd need a good look at the construction.

I'm concerned about construction. I had an Olympia Airglide. During a recent getoff, it did not perform well, coming apart at the seams. The textile portion worked well, but it's no good if it is displaced as the mesh breaks loose.

No real opinion about the brand you mention, but I do have an opinion about this source... especially for the budget sensitive:

Good source. I've had good luck with my FirstGear leather jacket. Their textile and mesh look good and very inexpensive. I'd need a good look at the construction.

I'm concerned about construction. I had an Olympia Airglide. During a recent getoff, it did not perform well, coming apart at the seams. The textile portion worked well, but it's no good if it is displaced as the mesh breaks loose.

I'm currently using a FirstGear mesh jacket I got about five years ago. It's actually the second one I've owned. The first one was replaced after I went down in a collision with a deer. After going down, I rolled once and slid (I have no idea how far). The jacket was "chewed up" but the seams were all intact and it did its job fine.

I own two First Gear jackets and one Rev'it. While I like and use the First Gear ones, there's no question that the Rev'it is better made.

Guest Kakugo

I have two sets of Rev'it gloves. Great stuff and in my opinion better than the much more hyped Held.

My brother has a Turbine jacket and he's very happy with it. :thumbsup:

Two years ago I ordered a Turbine one piece suit in May but after a month of waiting the dealer rang me and told me there was no chance of seeing it in before September or even October. A true pity since it looked and felt phenomenal. Ended up buying a Spidi jacket/pants mesh combo. Good quality stuff with impressive armor but in my opinion the Turbine suit was better.

I have been pleased with long term use of Joe Rocket mesh jackets and gloves, Icon recon pants and gloves, Icon shin/knee armor, and icon field armor chest/back protection, Shift leather and mesh jacket, shift jeans, Alpinestar 2 pc leather suit, alpinestar leather jacket, and rain boots, Axo riding boots, Shoei helments. All had good fit and function. Excluding helment I have been wearing my gear for several years, because I have alot! I can't pass up a deal!!!

I also have a pair of moto gp leather/textile pants that work good. Only the knee cups inside the pants were murder! When I took them out to inspect, they were hard plastic with a leather pauch sewed around the cup with the seam on my knee's! Threw them away! Still wear the pants.

I would point out that #1 you get what you pay for, and #2 quality gear, amortized over it's longer lifespan, really doesn't cost any more.

Oh, and buy American.

I would point out that #1 you get what you pay for, and #2 quality gear, amortized over it's longer lifespan, really doesn't cost any more.

Oh, and buy American.

Good point, but I am talking about cash outlay, not cost of ownership. If I could pay for it at the same rate it would be amortized, the point would be moot.

Polo, Lone Star has a large selection of Rev'It models.

That's where the thought sprouted from. I saw that when I went to see the bike.

Did not try anything on, as the cast gets in the way. There's plenty of time though.

The cheapest thing you can do is buy used gear. Between that, and having a garage sale (via ebay, etc.), you probably have your new gear already paid for.

Like John above, I am extremely impressed with my First Gear TPG Ranier jacket.

It would be hard to get better for the price offered by Motorcyclegear.com

Linz :)

I'm pretty fortunate in that I have a Motorcycle Superstore outlet 2 miles from my office. I'm fairly new to BMW's and since I'm riding everyday now I figured I should get a decent jacket. I picked up last years First Gear Kathmandu jacket....listed at $199 online, they had it marked down to $179 and then they had a 30% off 4th of July special. Got the jacket for $134.

Now all I need it to do is cool down about 40 degress so I can try it out!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1501/MNGR/kentuckyoutlet.aspx

steelerider

I'm a big fan of Olympia gear. Between my wife and I, we have 3 jackets. Its all well made and uses high denier Du Pont Cordura.

Anything I've ever owned by Joe rocket has fallen apart (Junk)

Olympia stuff is well designed. You can find it in most BMW dealers.

I'm a big fan of Olympia gear. Between my wife and I, we have 3 jackets. Its all well made and uses high denier Du Pont Cordura.

Anything I've ever owned by Joe rocket has fallen apart (Junk)

Olympia stuff is well designed. You can find it in most BMW dealers.

I was wearing an Olympia jacket at the time of my get-off. It did not perform well at all. It basically came lose at the seams leaving me exposed.

I'll post a few pics this evening.

if your looking at Rev't then I think motoport (cyclport) will also be in your budget. If so in my opinion, Motoport is your first choice.

My two cents....pay special attention to the armor in the jacket. Many jackets have the El Cheapo "foam" armor. Yes it's "CE" but, if you take a tumble, you'll find that you wish you had better impact protection.

Rev'it :thumbsup:

Quality stuff. Deb had a bad wreck 6 years ago on her CB750, at 60mph and the bike was totalled.

She was wearing all Rev'it clothing at the time (Jacket, pants and gloves). It all worked VERY well and she suffered very minor injuries (bruising and one small 'strawberry') and now she won't ride in anything else.

It was suggested that I contacted Kevin Rhea, owner of Olympia Motor Sports.

I did with some pictures of the jacket. He was receptive and surprised that the jacket had suffered as much damage.

Although I stated that my interest was just to give him some feedback, he promptly offered a replacement at no charge, which he shipped at their cost.

I have received an Airglide 3 jacket, which is more expensive than the one I lost. It is well built, and full of features. It's good to see Kevin stands behind his gear and although not strictly required backs its performance. A less caring individual might have thrown excuses or sidestepped the issue.

You all draw your own conclusions on this one. I at least feel that the brand did all they can.

Archived