IGNORED

How do you repair a small hole in your cordura jacket?

FLrider

The forearm on my cordura motorcycle jacket has a 1" hole in it form a fall. Has anyone used a patch with any success. If so, what kind of patch, where did you get it, how do you secure it (stitched or glued)?

I know it's not as "protective" as the original material but I don't want to buy another jacket over this small hole.

What kind of jacket is it? My 2 cents is to contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Most have repairs available that will not compromise the safety of the garment.

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Dropped my 11RT a few years ago when the centerstand came apart. Leaning over to guide it down, the cat burned a hole in my TPG pants.

Either on ebay or at a fabric store, I found some 600 cordura with a waterproof or coated side. Walmart had the fabric glue.

The two of those made for a very cheap and viable patch.

What kind of jacket is it? My 2 cents is to contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Most have repairs available that will not compromise the safety of the garment.

-MKL

BMW Airshell. The local dealer referred to a place in Seattle that does repairs but the repair cost is almost as much as new jacket (overstating)....

I didn't think to contact BMW although I'm not exactly sure where I would start...

Either on ebay or at a fabric store, I found some 600 cordura with a waterproof or coated side. Walmart had the fabric glue.

The two of those made for a very cheap and viable patch.

Hmmm... getting warmer....

Had you thought about having it sewn on with nylon thread by a seamstress?

Send it here:

http://rainypass.com/

Official BMW gear repair, gore-tex, dry suits, wet suits, backpacks, tank bags, whatever you got, they can fix it, and fix it right. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

btw - this is the place in seattle referred to above

Hmmm...

Let's for the sake of argument say you have a get off and make contact

on the "patched" part of your jacket. Ya gonna put your trust on a patch?

I'd lean toward a repair that involved stitching with an approved material and method.

MB.

Send it here:

Official BMW gear repair, gore-tex, dry suits, wet suits, backpacks, tank bags, whatever you got, they can fix it, and fix it right. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Yep, that's who gave me the quote of $195. I thought that was kinda steep.....

Hmmm...

I'd lean toward a repair that involved stitching with an approved material and method.

MB.

That's a valid argument MB, however the tear is at the elbow where the armor is. In this case, I don't think it's so much the fabric that saved me from the road rash as much as it is was the armor.

Hmmm...

MB.

That's a valid argument MB, however the tear is at the elbow where the armor is. In this case, I don't think it's so much the fabric that saved me from the road rash as much as it is was the armor.

My thought was to buy the appropriate weight cordura and have it both glued and sewn on....

I think I can do that for a lot less than the $ 195 that rainypass wants..

I guess noone here has ever darned a hole in a sock or a pant's pocket. Pretty sure you can find instructions on line; just use an appropriate thread and have at it.

-----

When Rich's DArien got a hole in it they quoted him $175ish

to repair, years ago, so price is in line.

He found a new Darien that was a cancel order for not much more $$

so a new jacket rather than a patch.

Good luck.

Send it here:

Kinda steep??

Maybe you can find a place (small shop) in South Florida that will do it for...... :grin:

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. :dopeslap:

Seriously, whatever you do, do it right, for your skin's sake. Good luck in your search.

MB>

John Bentall

The BMW Airshell outer is not waterproof.

So you could cover it with Cordura but equally well with Leather. The main things is to repair with strong stitching so that the patch does not come adrift in the event of another mishap.

HTH,

John

I had good use out of my Airshell on a recent trip. Great jacket!

Yeah, okay, so that seems a bit much. Is that a real quote, or an overestimated guess that they gave you over the phone? How much is the jacket worth new? How old is it? What's it worth used (both with and without the hole)? Do you love the jacket? There's lots of questions here...

For that kind of money you're gonna get a repair that doesn't look like crap. And it may even be hard to tell that a repair has been done. My two cents is that they'll give you an "official repair" quote, but they might also give you a "fix it up, but keep it cheap" quote.

Regardless, the glue on repair will look like crap, and you're gonna hate it, and you'll end up with a new jacket before long anyhow... (or at least that's where I'd be with a $2 repair job...)

let us know how it turns out.

Well said....

I think the jackets sells new for $400 plus NP armor. The insurance company already wrote me a check for it. 1 year old and I do like the jacket.... hmmm.

Yeah, okay, so that seems a bit much. Is that a real quote, or an overestimated guess that they gave you over the phone? How much is the jacket worth new? How old is it? What's it worth used (both with and without the hole)? Do you love the jacket? There's lots of questions here...

For that kind of money you're gonna get a repair that doesn't look like crap. And it may even be hard to tell that a repair has been done. My two cents is that they'll give you an "official repair" quote, but they might also give you a "fix it up, but keep it cheap" quote.

Regardless, the glue on repair will look like crap, and you're gonna hate it, and you'll end up with a new jacket before long anyhow... (or at least that's where I'd be with a $2 repair job...)

let us know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - I decided to let Rainy Pass repair the jacket. I was a little hesitant to pay the repair price for what they described as "patching". I envisioned the worst.

In the end, it came out pretty good. They even replaced the panel on the other side (which wasn't torn) in order to make it look uniform. If it weren't for the nice clean repair, compared to the dirty original, you'd never know it was repaired.

They use the same grade of textile as the jacket material and the correct thread.

Had this been a cheaper $150 jacket, I obviously wouldn't have fixed it. But in this case, it saved a pretty good jacket.

BEFORE

7712407642_48805b49dd_n.jpg

AFTER

7712414306_e6b2a7fa5b_n.jpg

BEFORE

7712406232_babd83ecd0_n.jpg

AFTER

7712414538_0d93d671ee_n.jpg

Hey, now that looks pretty good indeed! Glad to hear you're satisfied. I've always been impressed with their work. It usually is on the steep side, but it beats the alternatives...

John Bentall
UPDATE - I decided to let Rainy Pass repair the jacket. I was a little hesitant to pay the repair price for what they described as "patching". I envisioned the worst.

In the end, it came out pretty good. They even replaced the panel on the other side (which wasn't torn) in order to make it look uniform. If it weren't for the nice clean repair, compared to the dirty original, you'd never know it was repaired.

They use the same grade of textile as the jacket material and the correct thread.

I was talking to a BMW clothing "research worker" at Garmisch (OK, so she was also young and pretty..) who said the Airshell material was a special layered weave of two fabrics. The outer layer is a textile that happens to retain the flourescent color particularly well and the innner Cordura layer provides the strength.

They cannot make a flourescent Airfow suit, because the (much stronger) Dynatec material cannot hold the flourescent dye.

Who said clothing technology was simple? ;)

John

Archived