IGNORED

Cycle pump problems

MLTDWN

Maybe someone can help an "older" technologically challenged rider. Ever since my 2008 RT, I've had problems getting my battery charger and my Cycle Pump to work. I've talked to my dealer some time back who said there was a certain order to turning the key, hooking up the apparatus, etc. In any event, I have a 2011 F800GS and am leaving on a trip this Saturday. I've had my Cycle Pump for about 11 years and do not "want to leave home without it". I hooked it up yesterday and it worked for a moment and the turned off. I tried various permutations and it didn't work again. I don't know if the unit is finally giving out or I'm just not doing it in the right sequence. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You may have to connect directly to the battery. I know I could use an electric tire pump by plugging in to the accessory plug on my '02 RT but the later models have changed and the plug won't handle the draw of the pump anymore.

Bmr Deacon is absolutey right.

I believe the factory outlet is rated a 5 amps where as the pump pulls a touch more, thus the bike shuts off that outlet due to excess current draw.

Pulling directly off the battery will allow you to continue to be happy and use your pump. I idle my bike when using so as not to kill the battery.

The accessory sockets on both the RT and GS are current limited at a rate below what is required for most pumps.

Alternatives:

1) As mentioned above, a direct connection to the battery will work.

2) Check for a powerlet conversion or replacement for your accessory socket which allows for the socket to be directly connected to the battery.

3) Check for a Gerbings replacement for your accessory socket which connects directly to the battery. I just performed this modification on my F800GS. It is literally a 10 minute or less job. Available at Sierra BMW

Don't know what the accessory socket on your GS is rated at, but my '06 RT powers my Cycle Pump without any problems. The only wrinkle is the length of time that the accessory socket remains powered once I turn the ignition off. If I turn my key on (not starting the bike) then off, the accessory socket(s) will stay powered for several minutes, at which point the bike's computer will shut it down. If I haven't finished with my pump, I just turn the key back on/off and continue. How long is your pump staying powered up when you connect it to the accessory socket? If the pump's drawing more than your socket is rated for, it will shut down quickly no matter how often you turn your ignition on. I just looked at the Rider's Manual for the 2012 800GS, and it says that the socket will stay live for about 15 minutes after you turn off the ignition. However, it does not say what the maximum allowable draw is, just that it will turn off the socket if the plugged-in accessory exceeds the rating.

For the technically challenged:

It's blowing the fuse! Connect it straight to the battery, by any of a number of acceptable methods, and it will work.

Hook-up a short lead with an "SAE" plug on the end. That's the polarized 2-wire plug commonly used for battery chargers and other accessories - like a pump. Make the lead just long enough to reach open space so you can easily plug in a charger or pump, then tuck the plug inside when not in use. The positive (+) wire should have a fuse in-line and close to the battery. Radio Shack should have the plugs and fuse holder. And be careful about polarization (+ and -) on both the bike side and the accessories plug. You may have to cut off whatever is on the pump wires and install the SAE plug in its place.

With any luch at all, you'll never need the pump except to pump-up an air mattress.

pete

MeltDown

I saw exactly that problem with my pump, before I ever used it. Therefore what I did was look around here, and found two clips, with insulation on the handles, one black and one red, cut off the cigarette lighter from the pump, and attached the two clips (like alligator clips, only larger and with plastic insulation) to the wires.

That way, if I ever need to use the pump on my bike or someone else's, I will just pull the seat, and clip it onto the battery.

In fact, technically speaking, my adaptation may legitimately be referred to as an 'old school' adaptation.

dc

Archived