IGNORED

Smart Phones, Tablets, on the bike

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I keep my smart phone in the glove box of my RT. Gets pretty hot in there. I've just installed a USB port in there so I can keep it charged while listening to Pandora crossing the Panhandle, and to experiment with using the gps function for directions. It's plugged into my Autocom.

So Question #1: will it get too hot in there while on the charger, damage the phone?

I can even move it to a simple mount I made, between the two handlebar attachment points, with dual lock or velcro, which brings me to the tablet: I could probably figure out how to mount one of the new 7-inch tablets there...BIG GPS SCREEN!...or perhaps mount a tablet on my BMW shelf somehow.

So Question #2: Can the phones or the tablets handle the vibration and bumps? Naturally, they'd have to be put away in wet conditions.

[Years ago I met a guy who had a huge Lowrance touch-screen gps unit mounted on his Goldwing. Tres cool.]

I use the usb charger in the glove box in my RT. I leave an iPod in there full time and never have an issue. I also have a Droid X that I put in a slip-grip mount to a RAM ball mount on my left handle bar. The Droid provides GPS if needed, still camera and video. I have seen vibration cause blur at some RPM ranges but have not had any damage from vibration.......yet.

MotorcycleWriter
I've just installed a USB port in there so I can keep it charged while listening to Pandora crossing the Panhandle, and to experiment with using the gps function for directions. It's plugged into my Autocom.

That's on my to-do list. So what is an Autocom and what does it do for you?

markgoodrich

Google is your friend; search for Autocom.

It's an intercom system for rider and passenger, and also a hub for inputs for radar, xm, ipod, gps, even cell phone. Oh, and with a two-way radio, you can talk to other riders similarly equipped.

I keep my smart phone in the glove box of my RT. Gets pretty hot in there. I've just installed a USB port in there so I can keep it charged while listening to Pandora crossing the Panhandle, and to experiment with using the gps function for directions. ....

So Question #1: will it get too hot in there while on the charger, damage the phone?

I keep an MP3 player in there plugged into a "cigar lighter outlet" that is powered by a stock BMW Powerlet outlet in the top of the left side fairing. It does get very hot in there as you say. Sometimes I also charge my cell phone in there also. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but things in there get so hot I thought I'd have a problem. Lately I've just left the glove box top unlatched...not open but a tiny bit....maybe 4-5mm? That ended the heat problem. I'd have a leak if it rains, but it's easy to simply push it shut in that case.

Looking for a 6/7in tablet that has4g and bluetooth, to replace my shitty factory garmin, are they making one yet?

I keep my iPhone in an inside jacket pocket.

Unless I make lots of calls during a day, it stays charged all day.

Have a couple of ICE (in case of emergency) APPs on the phone and it seems to me the possibility of emergency personnel finding my phone on my person is greater than their finding it in the glove box, tankbag, etc.

Bluetooth to NAV IV then Bluetooth to BMW helmet works fine from my pocket.

Don't know what kind of phone original poster has, but the iPhone will shut itself down if it gets too hot - it displays a message about being overheated and then quits. However, you pretty much have to leave the phone out in direct sunlight for awhile to get this to happen.

I carry my iPhone in the tank bag, which I electrified, and the phone is fully charged when I get off the bike. With a Big Ear custom ear plug, I listen to my playlists or Pandora. Had Autocom for awhile - bulky and overpriced. Had a few BT set ups but in the end went back to a wired ear set - good bass, low tech, always works, custom fitted for free at the Johnson City rally.

Archived