IGNORED

auxilary fuse panel has "issues"

randy

and NO they are not back issues :-)

Just as an FYI this is on my 2007 Aprilia tuono, but I did the exact same set up on my BMW R1200st

I installed a centech AP2. I used the rear tailight wire to "trigger" the switched pole on the centech. I did the standard 12 guage 30amp fused wire from battery to centech for power and non fused for ground.

I then wired my GPS female receptacle, my Gerbings female receptacle, and my Moto lights to a manual switch and the manual switch to the centech. I wired the two receptacle to the "always on" AP-2 connection, and the moto lights switch to the "switched connection".

The reason for the switch is to "turn off' the moto lights on occassion. i.e for example one early morning the fog was very reflective. basically otherwise the moto lights are always on when the bike is on.

So I put the fuse in the battery to AP2 + wire, and turned on the ignition. Moto lights come on. BUT the tail light is not on. I turn the moto lights switch off and the tail light comes on. ?

any idea what i missed. I used the yellow/green (middle wire) going into the tail light.

Randy,

I don't have an AP2, but I believe I know what your problem is. You wanted to use the tail light simply as a trigger, to close a relay and enable the switched portion of the AP2. However, there is no relay inside the AP2. Your tail light wire is providing all the power to the AP2's switched circuits, so that wire is what's powering your moto lights. The tail light wire cannot carry sufficient current to light both your moto lights and the tail light.

To correct the problem, you need to add an external relay. The tail light wire will control the relay coil. The main relay contacts will switch power from the battery, through an appropriately sized cable, to the switched portion of the AP2. Eastern Beaver has these relay harness ready made.

thanks for the reply. I do believe the AP-2 does have a relay. The AP-1 has no relay, but the AP2 does have a relay. there are actually three "poles" on the AP-2, Battery, Ground, switched. Now maybe I just do not understand the switched "pole" on the AP-2. But my understanding was it just provides switched power (similar to adding a relay) without the need for a relay. Basically saved space as you had switched and unswitched in one package. But I will check into it.

Morning Randy

I haven't installed an AP-2 in a while now but the last instructions I have show it needs the optional AP 130R relay to power the switched side 3 fuses.

Unless the AP-2 has changed significantly you still need a power relay for the switch side power input or you are asking your switched power-in supply source to supply all the power to the switched accessories.

I never used the Centech power relay harness as I make my own power relay harness as I have lots of relays & sockets handy in my shop.

ok, interesting, I thought the whole point of the AP-2 was that the power in from the battery powered the non switched and switched connectios. And the "third pole" was the "replacement" for the relay we all used on the AP-1.

But I will install a 4 connection relay into the wire coming from the tail light to the AP-2 and see what happens thanks.

Afternoon Randy

Didn't installation directions come with the AP-2. If not call the place you got it from or look the install directions up on line.

yes I have installation instructions. And based upon my memory (at the office) they show, wire to battery, wire to ground on bike (i.e. not battery) and wire to "trigger" But I will look, you make an interesting point I may have missed something. I had installed 3 of these prior to this, and as far as I remember just a wire from a "hot source" to the AP-2 switched pole is all I did. But I will check. thanks

Afternoon Randy

Unless the AP-2 has been recently changed the AP-2 schematic doesn't show a relay in either power IN side.

Obviously the BATTERY side would be battery (B+) direct but on the switched side you only get out what is put in current wise.

AP-2.jpg

Randy,

An alternative to the Centech unit is a FuzeBlock .

This unit does contain a relay and has the option on each fuse circuit for switched or non-switched controlled by the fuse position.

Inputs are Battery+, Battery- and the switched trigger source.

I am checking but I have installed 4 AP-2 now. And they all work the same, fuseblock AP-2 etc. they all have Batter power in, Ground and switched power. the only difference is the fuseblock as noted above is I think 20 amp max and each connection can be either switched or unswitched. the AP-2 is 60amp max, with three mfixed non switched and 5 fixed switch connections. I have always used the AP-2 due to it's higher aperage and smaller format. I will test some more this weekend.

as usual this group was right. re-read instructions and with your explanation the light bulb went off. relay installed, moto light working (only when running) GPS always on, and bmw receptacle for gerbings is set to always on. I will eventually wire up an aftermarket horn and maybe HID. we will see. anyway thanks for explaning the issue so even a hard head like me could figure it out.

Camhead in STL
I just know I'd rather have a single fuse/relay module than two separate modules.

How about neither, yet 6 separate 15amp circuits (gangable). http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

If you get it from RocketMoto, they can set any outputs to always hot, switched, variable delay etc. http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module-digital-circuit-breaker-panel.html

Archived