IGNORED

R1200RT Tank Bags/ Hydration

Snoopy182

(Not including the BMW OEM Bag) -- What are the options for tank bags for the R1200RT - and how are they secured.

Also - Does anyone have any ingenious hydration ideas/ devices for getting a drink while driving. I don't want to stop everytime I need a drink - which is often. I have thought of putting an insulated camelbak right on the tank mounting rails - anyone done that?

Guest Kakugo

I have a FAMSA tankbag. It fastens through a strap on the tank rail. Very, very satisfied with it. Can post picture if you are interested.

As per hydration, I prefer to stop at roadside to have a little water but my Hein Gericke jacket is predisposed for fitting a Camel Back. However you may want to consider the Techniche GULPZ . Seems like a pretty neat bit of kit and owning other Techniche products they make good quality stuff. :thumbsup:

I strap a collapsable cooler (6-pack size) on the back and put a small camelback (just the bag) in it with ice. Works great.

As I like to do some hiking on my trips, I bring the camelback with me anyway. Also, having a small cooler comes in handy all the time.

Pros

Collapsable cooler is easy to store when you don't need it.

Collapsable cooler can hold your favorite beverages when you need to transport them back to your hotel/motel/tent/whatever.

Cons

The first drink of water after a while on the bike is a bit warm. You can either spit it out, blow it back into the camelback, or just deal with the first warm drink.

Many of the collapsable coolers leak/sweat. Not a huge problem but they do. I've just bought a Polar Bear cooler...they say their coolers don't sweat (sort of a cordura/canvas material on the outside). I'll know soon enough as the next trip is in a few days.

Took an 8 day trip throught the Fench alps over the 4 July time. I have the OEM RT tank bag, I folded the waterproof liner over everthing inside the bag, the I set a 1.5 liter Camelbak on top of that and ran the hose out the zipper. The hose is more than long enough to get to my mouth, even with a closed helmet, and it was easy to get water. Big pluses, it stays cool in the tank bag, the opening of the camelbak is big enough to put ice in with the water, it's easy enough to get out so you can add water as you stop or need.

I will be getting a 2 or 2.5 liter bag, the 1.5 fits great, but it isn't a lot of water, especially when you're in the sun or it's hot.

there you have my two cents.

Just got the Geigerrig on Danny Noonan's suggestion. Wow...nice design. Working on location for it now, the 3 liter is a bit large for the front pocket of my 'stich and Darien jacket. Might be best to do the 2 litre if you're planning to go that route.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Just got the Geigerrig on Danny Noonan's suggestion. Wow...nice design. Working on location for it now, the 3 liter is a bit large for the front pocket of my 'stich and Darien jacket. Might be best to do the 2 litre if you're planning to go that route.

Boy, why do I come here...just cost me $58 for the Giggerrig!!!

I've succeeded when I can get others to spend money! My mission here is almost complete :rofl:

BTW, I let the wife carry it on her back (actually on the top case) since hydration pack weight pisses off my arse after a few hours.

I'm really happy with my Touratech bag. Besides the factory bag, it's the only one I know of that has a mounting system that takes advantage of the RT tank rails.

RT Tankbag

Archived