IGNORED

Rain Gear

MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter

Any recommendations on some reasonably priced waterproof gear to go over my protective clothing for those summer showers? Really getting tired of driving the cage when the rain chance is over 30%.

I bought a set of First Gear Rainman jacket and pants from motorcyclegear.com (formally newenough.com). First gear changed the style a little bit for this year, so they bought their complete stock and are selling them at half price. Looks like the jackets are pretty much all gone, but you can still get the pants.

LINK

So far, its the best rain gear I've used, and I'm really happy with both purchaces. I bought a jacket/pants combo for myself and pants for my wife. We used varias versions of Frogg Toggs before this, but we were never impressed (or completely dry). These obviously get stuffy if it is hot out (what waterproof garment doesn't), but we haven't been wet since. If something happened to my jacket, I would buy another at full price with no concern.

This is going to be a recommendation that you did not expect.

I was on Harleys for near;y 20 years. I have an H-D Over jacket and bibb pants. I wear a First Gear Denali jacket that is pretty water resistant/proof (so far). If I want waterproof pants I slip the H-D bibbs on and they are warm and waterproof.

They fold up pretty small and easily go in my side case. They are the rubberized version and really work well.

This is going to be a recommendation that you did not expect.

I was on Harleys for near;y 20 years. I have an H-D Over jacket and bibb pants. I wear a First Gear Denali jacket that is pretty water resistant/proof (so far). If I want waterproof pants I slip the H-D bibbs on and they are warm and waterproof.

They fold up pretty small and easily go in my side case. They are the rubberized version and really work well.

I'm in agreement. I still have an HD rain suit that I carry every day on my commute. I rarely need the jacket since my textile jackets pretty much have that covered. The pants are really good though and, as you said, pack nice and small.

I bought a set of First Gear Rainman jacket and pants from motorcyclegear.com (formally newenough.com). First gear changed the style a little bit for this year, so they bought their complete stock and are selling them at half price. Looks like the jackets are pretty much all gone, but you can still get the pants.

LINK

So far, its the best rain gear I've used, and I'm really happy with both purchaces. I bought a jacket/pants combo for myself and pants for my wife. We used varias versions of Frogg Toggs before this, but we were never impressed (or completely dry). These obviously get stuffy if it is hot out (what waterproof garment doesn't), but we haven't been wet since. If something happened to my jacket, I would buy another at full price with no concern.

Big +1

got this for Beth years ago, works great, hood excellent for keeping torso dry, no drip intrusion.

I have TourMaster w/aqua hood that isn't rain proof at hood jacket intersection, hood gets leaky, wish I had gotten the first gear.

I have some rain gear stuffed in my sidecase. However, I think I'm just using up valuable space as I never seem to use it. In the winter I try to avoid riding in the rain to avoid black ice. This time of year I just get wet...helps to keep cooler.

Nice n Easy Rider
I have some rain gear stuffed in my sidecase. However, I think I'm just using up valuable space as I never seem to use it. In the winter I try to avoid riding in the rain to avoid black ice. This time of year I just get wet...helps to keep cooler.

+1. By the time I stop and get the gear out the rain has usually stopped. And here in North Carolina if you put rain gear on in the summer you end up just as wet as if you didn't because of the humidity.

I have never stopped on the side of the road to put rain gear on. The only real time I have rain gear is for.....

1. Commuting in the afternoon when those bad freak thunderstorms roll through. My commute is over an hour and I don't like my business clothes getting soaked.

2. On a trip when it is raining in the morning, and I know I'm going to be in it for a few hours. This has only happened twice that I recall. Once I had good gear and was glad I had it. The other time lit the fire under my ass to find and buy good raingear. I was soaked from head to toe for a good 5 hours, and was completely miserable.

A quick shower is never worth the side of the road shuffle, but anything over an hour or two in the dumping rain will fatigue you faster than just about anything else.

Mrs. Caddis

We use tourmaster rain gear. Living in Colorado we can get some heavy afternoon rain in the summer. I don't like being wet and cold so the "side of the road shuffle" is worth it to me. I keep them in the side case. They pack up small and are not that bad to throw on over your gear. Had to pull them out 2 weeks ago. They are good extra layer of warmth on a cool morning in the mountains. Layering is the way to go out here! From the comments above it seems that those of you in warm humid areas are riding "wet" whether it is raining or not!

MotorcycleWriter
From the comments above it seems that those of you in warm humid areas are riding "wet" whether it is raining or not!

Definitely when not moving!

I use Tour Master rain gear and it works great for me. I also have the one piece BMW 3 suit, but it seems a little too long for me.

Aerostich.

I don't have any Frogg Toggs, but I always thought I'd buy a set if I had an infrequent need for rain gear over my perforated leather. But sadly, I wear my perforated jacket maybe twice a year, and the rest to the year I'm in my 'stich because it's so friggin' miserable out there. Today, for instance. rain rain rain rain rain. I'm sick of it.

RichEdwards

Just got the new First Gear Splash rain suit. Very nice! I got the dayglow green/yellow. Better fit and internal pockets than their previous model.

RAMBLIN RED
We use tourmaster rain gear. Living in Colorado we can get some heavy afternoon rain in the summer. I don't like being wet and cold so the "side of the road shuffle" is worth it to me. I keep them in the side case. They pack up small and are not that bad to throw on over your gear. Had to pull them out 2 weeks ago. They are good extra layer of warmth on a cool morning in the mountains. Layering is the way to go out here! From the comments above it seems that those of you in warm humid areas are riding "wet" whether it is raining or not!

+1....cheap and effective

MotorcycleWriter
Today, for instance. rain rain rain rain rain. I'm sick of it.

You should move to North Alabama where it's just rain rain rain rain.

Aerostich.

I don't have any Frogg Toggs, but I always thought I'd buy a set if I had an infrequent need for rain gear over my perforated leather. But sadly, I wear my perforated jacket maybe twice a year, and the rest to the year I'm in my 'stich because it's so friggin' miserable out there. Today, for instance. rain rain rain rain rain. I'm sick of it.

I have a set. Make sure that you button and zip up everything or you'll get leaks (DAMHIKT).

Since upgrading to the HD RK, I bought a new bib frog toggs pants.

For me, there is a little gap (think plumbers crack), and having a pair of bibs will solve that issue.

BTW, went to the Tampa Bay Rays - free parking for MCs and special pricing. Game time was 1:40pm, @4-5ish we usually have some rain roll in the Tampa Bay Area.

I a backpack with me that had my Frogg Toggs set. Sure enough, after the game, it was raining cats and dogs. Everyone was freaking out (maybe because they might melt???) - I put on my suit and walked up to the bike and took off.

Luckily, the rain stopped and didn't run into rain the whole 30 miles home from Downtown St. Pete to NPR.

Remembered the gap and glad I had just ordered the bibs.

Archived