IGNORED

Automatic Brake light on slowing down (even with only engine braking)

Meromorph

I've just fitted this to my bike:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPBKM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Connect (tap) one wire into your rear light power wire.

Connect the other into your brake light power wire.

Fasten (with the attached double sided tape) the switch under your seat on the rear fender, so that the end where the wires are points forward and upwards at an angle of 25 - 30 degrees.

Done.

Now you don't have to remember to tap the brakes when you close the throttle. The switch does it for you.

Pretty sure I don't want my brakelight turning on every time I roll off the throttle. I will continue to tap the brake lever whenever I want to alert the drivers behind me that I am changing my velocity. For less than $3.00 though, I guess it is cheap enough to experiment with. I do have the late, lamented Brake! :cry: flasher for my R1100R (is it still available?) and my wife has the Back Off! flasher for her Ninja 250.

Peter Parts

I rigged up such a device using intake throat vacuum. Device not smart enough, as MikeR1100R intuits.

In days of yore, with no brake switch on front brakes, rider could plan what kind of stop signalling he/she wanted and tap rear brake accordingly.

Some riders think machines are smart and they like linked brakes, ABS, etc. and it frees them for other tasks (like talking on a cellphone or steering). Some don't like 'em.

Ben

Pretty sure I don't want my brakelight turning on every time I roll off the throttle. ----

Evening Mike

I have to agree with you. If the brake light flashes every time a rider drops the throttle or hits a bump going downhill it doesn't take long for the vehicle traveling behind to figure out that the brake light doesn't signal actual braking intent so simply disregards the brake light (or just becomes real lazy in responding to it)

Ever follow a car with a driver riding the brake pedal with their left foot? Personally after about 20 seconds of that nonsense I quit using the brake light as an indicator of the driver's intentions.

I've seen LEO bikes that tie deceleration via throttle to

a flashing brake light.

Some machines seem to be smarter than some folks I've met.

;)

It's set at an angle so it only comes on if you're slowing down significantly (equivalent to braking)...

I've had this setup on two previous bikes.

Archived