IGNORED

Windshield Wax

moshe_levy

All-

In all my years of riding bikes with windshields, my '09 RT is the first shield which apparently doesn't act like it needs a periodic wax. I had Lucite and Lexan shields on my Harley, as well as stock and Aeroflow on my prior '04 RT, and each of those would get a wax with plastic polish once in awhile, when it became hard to clean using warm water and a gentle cleanser.

This RT's shield (which looks like a National Cycle unit, judging by the tiny logo at the bottom) is impervious to use. It always wipes clean, even after many miles of heavy accumulation. Waing it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. It STILL hasn't scratched, at all. Good stuff!

I'm wondering - do you guys with Hexheads wax your shields? If so, what do you use? I'm talking an actual wax, not a wipe down with Novus, etc.

-MKL

I used to use carnuba on my HD shields too but haven't found much use for it with the RT. I usually hit it with Plexus occasionally as well. I wonder if the more upright stance of the HD shield makes it more susceptible to grunge build up?

Interesting. Pledge worked on my Lucite HD shield, but turned my Lexan one yellow! I never tried it on a BMW before. Sounds like you guys have experience with it, and yes, of course it is is much cheaper than dedicated plastic wax.

-MKL

Guest Kakugo

I wash it when I wash the bike. No special treatment whatsoever. It doesn't need it. At most I remove it once in a while to properly clean those hard to access areas.

I am with you in saying this shield is really good stuff. All the previous bikes I have owned, no matter how carefully kept, had those damn tiny scratches which in the long run became really annoying and were impossible to get rid of.

Head to Walmart, in the RV aisle, and look for Protect All - blue and white bottle, manual spray.

Its liquid Carnuba wax.

For about $9, a bottle will last you quite a while and is safe for your faceshield as well as your windscreen. And when it rains, the water runs off.

Been using this for years and love it. Couple others here have been turned on to it and love it as well.

Jim

I clean the shield periodically with Plexus. My '07 shield still looks new.

Oh, and I use Dupont Sontara Wipes which won't scratch plastic. I bought one package from Cee Bailey and it has lasted 5 years now and it is currently not even half empty.

Archived