IGNORED

New shoes for the the pony

Pletch

I am near the end of my Conti's, one more good ride this season and she gets new shoes and shocks over the winter.

Question is, I need a hi-bred tire, something that wears well in the center, but still bites like a pitbull on the sides. I have heard different stories of new tires on the market that combine the long life of touring tires with the side grabbing of sport tires, but I would sure like to hear from some one that has a set and which ones they are.

The Conti's I have are the only ones I have ever used, simply fantastic, hold the corners in very aggressive driving, even loaded and two up in the rain, never even a hint of slip. And I have used every milimeter of the sidewall, all the way to the edge, nothing wasted :grin:

Next year we are FINALLY taking that dream tour, up to Norway for 10 days, then ferry across to the U.K. for 10 more days, then back home to Heidelberg Germany. While most of the riding will be secondary roads, that is still hell on the middle of the tire, so a hi-bred tour/sport tire is in order...I think :S

Any ideas?

Dunlop Roadsmart 2.

The Roadsmart 2 must be a lot better than the original. I tried a set of the originals and wasn't impressed.

Martyn, Thanks but Dunlops...ummm yeah, no. Htey have the highest silicon composition of all motorcycle tires, and when hot can 'bleed' silicon. Take a look at some of the Harley's in the south, once hot, there is a silicon spray all along the tank leading egde from the silicon. Not so safe in the twisties.

I am sure there is a hi-bred tire out there, just need to find it and take a look at some profi reviews as well as cutomer reviews.

Pirelli Angel ST.....

When my Conti RAII's give up, I'm trying the Pirelli's...heard a lot of good things about them.

Looks like it's going to be the PR3's. Read a bunch on them and talked to a guy on Staurday, 06 RT, rides a lot 2 up and (unfortuantely) a bit of extra autobahn time, and his PR3's have nearly 12,500 on them and they easily have another 3 or 4 k left. Best part, he claims that in the mountians, real mountians mind you...the Alps, his cornering is the best he has ever had. The tires bite like nothing else, wet or dry, and two up loaded. He used to run the same as I have now, the Conti's, but claims he'll never go back, best tire ever in his opinion. So with a lot of similarities in riding styles...looks like new PR3 in a couple weeks

UPDATE, took a ride on a 2012 RT with the PR3's about 90 minutes in the hills, not quit mountains but still some great twisties. The tires are a bit louder than the Conti's I have, but, the grip...what can I say, even better than the rail riding Conti's. And then the bike is upright and riding, i.e. highway, there isn't as much drag feeling when you drop a gear or two and give full throttle. The hard center strip on the tire seems to easily manage the increase requirements. One thing I did notice almost right away, the hard center strip transmits the information straight from the road to the rider, you can really feel the contact...in a good way. I was concerned that would lessen as the bike leaned and transitioned onto the soft sides, not at all, infact, I had road feedback to the point I thought something was wrong...bad tire belt or something. After inspecting the tires I went at it again, it was actually the feed back from the tar snakes I was feeling, I have never had that level of feed back before, normally the tier rolls over one and you only know because you saw it or slid on it. With the PR3's you can feel the snakes and the slight undulations and changes in the pavement all through the turn. And the transition from right lean to left and back, smooth as a track tire, you realy can not feel the tranistion between the various rubber compounds strip on the tire.

At the cost, I'll take another ride on them in the rain just to check them out one last time, but if they are half as fgood wet as they are dry, then I'll be making the change. Bar none, so far anyway, best I have ever been on if you can stand the slightly elevated noise, which I think will lessen with a couple thousand mile on them, these only had about 700 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

SECOND UPDATE: Took a buddy's 2010 RT with the new PR3 throught the Black Forest, some rain and some heavy rain...there was no noticable grip difference in the tires between dry, kinda wet and really wet, they simply knew their job: grab the road and hold on! Great tires, simply the best I have ever ridden on. He has about 10k miles on his PR3's now, and they aren't even close to the warning bars, in fact, it looks like he easily has another 10k left on them, and he rides hard.

Dropped my order for a new pair just this morning. Expensive...but well worth the money from everything I have seen on them!!!

Archived