IGNORED

High End Winter Gear

moshe_levy

All-

As some of you who visit "Other Topics" know, I recently traded in my Prius for a Chevy Volt. The Volt is leased, and so now I suddenly find myself riding ALOT more, commuting to keep within the lease's mileage limits. With 3 kids, it's been awhile since I was riding this much!

My 3 season gear is strong - BMW Airshell jacket, Motoport kevlar mesh overpants, and top-of-the-line Alpinestars track gloves (for highway use) or BMW gloves for non-highway trips.

My winter gear is currently in need of replacement. I've got an original version of Firstgear's Kilimanjaro jacket, now likely 13 years old, and a pair of Firstgeat HT Overpants. Now, for its age and its price, this gear is nothing short of fantastic. None of it feels worn out, and not a drop has EVER leaked inside, despite thousands of miles in the rain over the years.

But as I've said before, once premium gear was sampled, it became my goal to upgrade everything until the whole collection was top shelf, and this is what's left.

So now I'm looking at the good stuff. Aerostich, Motoport, Rukka, etc. I'd like a good winter jacket, which must be absolutely waterproof, wear very well, preferrably with hi-viz coloring and lots of robust armor coverage. I would definitely prefer to buy made-in-USA all else equal. I'd like some matching cold-weather OVERpants (not pants) as well.

I know many of you have many hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with this type of gear. I'd like to hear your experiences, ESPECIALLY if you have had the chance to use Aerostich / Motoport / Rukka or some other premium brand vs. the other, and can provide some comparison.

Thanks in advance.

-MKL

My winter gear is currently in need of replacement. I've got an original version of Firstgear's Kilimanjaro jacket, now likely 13 years old, and a pair of Firstgeat HT Overpants. Now, for its age and its price, this gear is nothing short of fantastic. None of it feels worn out, and not a drop has EVER leaked inside, despite thousands of miles in the rain over the years.

Here's my 2 cents Moshe:

The only thing I'd consider reviewing on that gear is this...

What is the denier of the fabric? If it's 600 or better I'd replace the armor with the First Gear armor (the new orange stuff) and keep this gear. If you don't have hip armor I'd have that added. It's easy to add a pouch, visit a seamstress if need be.

As you know, this fabric/gear is not compromised by age. If it is "nothing short of fantastic" why spend the bucks to replace it?

That being said, you mentioned that you wanted hi-viz....and for that I love the Olympia AST jacket. I can vouch for it's performance under pressure :eek: Add one of those to your old First Gear over Pants, with new armor, and you are good to go...savings some bucks for the kiddies next dental appointment. :)

Have fun shopping.

Kath-

I've got upgraded armor on all the winter gear. But in my experience the good stuff has SO much more coverage, that it's making replacement a viable option for me.

I haven't seen KLIM yet. Will take a look.

-MKL

With an RT I don't bother with dedicated winter gear anymore.

I use a Gerbing jacket liner to convert a 3 season jacket into a winter jacket. Generally don't even bother with the liner in the jacket, good down to low 30's high 20's. For colder I will put in the jacket liner with Gerbing liner.

Use Darien pants down to mid 30's. For colder I use some fleece over pants under the darien pants. I also have some older First Gear pants that I will use when it gets cold - in the teens.

Under 40 I use Gerbing gloves.

BTW all temperatures are Fahrenheit.

Moshe, I've just returned from Alaska and the Yukon (the second trip) and have probably 1M miles total (that just means I'm old). The first trip to Prudhoe I wore a Belstaff jacket and pants and it worked wonderful. Not high end but very good three season suit (summer is not one of the seasons). This time I changed to KLIM Traverse. Worked great. It rained almost every day and I was never wet and always warm. Only problem with the Traverse was it had only one pocket in the pants (a big deal to me) and the neck clousure did not have an adjustment. I just upgraded to the KLIM Badlands and all problems have been solved including the addition of a chest protector. It is high end from a cost perspective but well worth it IMO. Check out their details of using the NEW Gortex 3 layer. It also has great venting in the pants and jacket for the summer. I've not seen anything better yet.

Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece with Warm-n-Safe heated jacket and Gerbings heated gloves (with a dual controller to run the jacket & gloves at different temps).

The 'stich is wind & waterproof on an RT (some folks complain of crotch dampness in the rain but that's not been a problem on the RT and might be due to the size of the rider and maybe how it crumples up when sitting so water pools in the folds) and the jacket is just the ticket when it gets cold. The Gerbings are tough leather, well insulated and have heated hand tops to add to the heated grips.

You didn't mention boots - but once the rest of you is toasty, boots are the next thing to look at. Watch out for ones with an exposed full-length zipper without a placket of some kind to prevent the wind and room for nice wool socks. Never been cold enough to need electric socks or pants (fleece pants under the 'stich are fine during CT winters on an RT).

I've got BMW Allround boots - they're fine all year. No issue. Good advice. Nobody with Motoport or Rukka or other high end stuff?

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Moshe

I wear a Motoport airmesh jacket year 'round. For the sub 40F mornings, a gerbings liner. Just got the motoport pants so, haven't tried those in the winter to replace my FG TPG pants.

Riding buddy has worn both of the above for several years through some of the coldest and wet weather we get in Sacramento with no heating in the pants on a GS. He has to ride 2 hrs each way in the evenings once a month or so.

Hi Moshe. I have used the BMW Tourguard (still have it and even though you it is not made anymore it occasionaly pops up on eBay), BMW Streetguard 2 (sold it) and have has the Rukka Armas Jacket for several months (to replace the Streetguard). I also have an Atlantis jacket which I believe is either goretex bonded or specially treated nubuck (I would not recommended that jacket for real cold and wet as for long periods of rain the jacket can become damp whereas the Atlantis pants I would highly recommend for all seasons except extreme heat. Maybe my jacket is somewhat faulty or a different model to my jacket).I cannot give a review on the Armas yet as I am still to take it on a long trip through rain and cold (which I will rectify knowing Victorian weather in October to the Australian Moto GP !). However, in my experience anything that is 3 layer goretex is good. However, what I have also found is that the thickness and type of material that the goretex is bonded to is critical. For instance, the Streetguard 2 material was not as thick as the Tourguard. What I found is that the Streetguard would get slighly damp (more so at the shoulders and forearms which I think were maybe kevlar inserts? whereas the kevlar inserts at the shoulders of the Tourguad are smaller and did not) after about 3 hours in heavy ( and I mean heavy) rain which would then make me somewhat cold. Conversely, last year to the motoGP I had rain for 8-9 hours which was at times heavier than the rain mentioned above and the jacket integrity externally remained cosy (whereas the fact that the idiot user did not use the inner of the outer and inner zips to zip the jacket up is another story. This is the reason I have gone to the Armas with its Gore Lockout Zipper so it only has one zip which is hard to forget to zip up!)

Another issue for me is that most of the jackets around today are more of the shorter sport cut (including the Armas) whereas the Tourguard is the longer touring cut. Where the Armas is better is that as it is newer it has some type of technology that deflects infra red(?) rays to keep the jacket cooler, which gives it an advantage when the weather is not so cold and that zip. I am looking forward to testing the Armas out and will advise but it maybe too late for you. Regards

Guest Kakugo

Three recommendations for you: Rukka, Rev'it and Hein Gericke.

Rukka doesn't need presentation and is as high end as you can get. My borther has now which he shelved after losing a lot of weight. It's nothing short of phenomenal.

Rev'it makes very good stuff, worth a look. My brother bought one to replace the Rukka.

Hein Gericke is what I use. My Master IV jacket/trousers combo has now over six years and almost 100000 miles on it. It has never leaked a single drop of water and the only problem I had was having to replace two zippers earlier this year. Cheaply and easily done by a local tailor. Name a weather condition (except for hail) and it has been through it multiple times.

Should I replace it today I would surely opt for either another Hein Gericke or a similarly price Rukka.

RichEdwards

Nothing better than a Roadcrafter for dressing in work clothing and zipping it on in a few seconds. I rode to my teaching job on Long Island for years during the cold months.

Peter Parts

Like the Roadcrafter that can be worn over ordinary clothing, I buy second-hand snowmobile bib-overalls from the local Salvation Army store for about $20. Full snowmobile suits are great too if you are willing to spend $40.

All kinds of snowmobiling gear works OK on the bike for the short trips I take in sub-freezing weather. But tricky getting mitts that are adequate for working the levers and switches on the bars. I prefer the ergonomics of my somewhat gushy insulated gloves to my stiffer Gerbings but the Gerbings are needed at colder temperatures.

For sure, a layer of thermal underwear helps greatly, provided you won't have to wear them all day while in heated buildings.

Can't beat hippo-hands but they need to be custom to your bars and not pretty.

real good BMW hippo-hands

Boxers keep feet from being as cold as other engine layouts and so less is needed there.

Very helpful to buy the little packs of self-heating charcoal you shove into your gloves and boots. Also, vaseline does a lot to keep the cold pain at bay.

Ben

My winter gear is the Aerostitch Darien Jacket and Pants. Waterproof and wind proof, I use fleece pants and a Gerbings liner under 50 degrees. Under 40 degrees I plug in the Gerbings. I have used this set up for 6 winters and the gear looks like it will last at least another 10. With keeping my core warm and heavyweight smartwool socks I never have any problem with cold feet.

I too wear the Darien Jacket/Pants when temps are below 75 or so.

At 65 I add the Darien fleece liner to the jacket.

At 50 I switch the Darien to a Warm N Safe heated liner, switch from 'stich Elkskin Ropers to Gerbing T5 (not plugged in).

At 40 I plug in the gloves.

At 30 I add a smartwool base layer top and bottom.

When it's raining, I add aerostitch lobster glove raincovers, as the T5 don't hold up for more than about an hour before getting soaked. I'm one of the folks that were mentioned earlier who end up with a wet crotch area in rain with the Darien pants. The water pools there and get's through. If I know it's going to rain all day, and it's below about 40, I skip the smartwool bottoms and add a lightweight pair of snowboard pants. That solves the wet crotch.

I'm a little concerned with this "wet crotch" issue. With this old Firstgear stuff, I've never gotten wet anything, and I've ridden in torrential stuff all day. If I spent money on premium gear, I want it to be at least that good. I don't even carry rain gear in the fall and winter because the gear I have is simply waterproof, period.

-MKL

The "wet crotch" was an issue with the one piece Roadcrafter, one of the reasons I initally went with the 2 piece Darien. Input from friends indicate that this is no longer a problem for the newer Roadcrafter suits.

Well, you know that I'm going to recommend heated clothing. But apart from that, it almost sounds like you want new for the sake of new. The older Kilimanjaro from 1st gear is one hellaciously good jacket, and the HT overpants are equally good. Their waterproofing seems to still be intact. If the need for Hi-viz is important, Olympia makes a nice over-vest. That all said, let's take a look at what's available on the new gear market that includes Hi-Viz.

Virtually all manufacturers have gone from Cordura-based fabrics to polyester-based. Understandably cheaper, and if I remember my training from BMW, they (polyesters) also have a lower friction melting point than DuPont Cordura. Olympia still uses DuPont Cordura. For that reason, I have Olympia gear (among others) in my garage closet. Kevin and Karilea make good stuff, even if priced above the norm. And it's usually very well styled. People do pay the price for their quality.

Moving up in price, BMW gear is outstanding and with BMW's connection with Schoeller, they are always implementing innovative fabrics to accomplish more with less. Revit is much the same. I can't speak for Klim as I've not experienced their cold-weather gear. What I've ridden in has been very versatile cool-to-warm-weather gear taking advantage of much bonded Gore-Tex.

Finally, there's Rukka. If $1200-1400 for a jacket is in your price range, they've got the only jacket I consider to be a true 4-season jacket.

All of this, of course, is based on my miles and the limited list of apparel I've been exposed to. Others may have much more to add.

Yes, I'm all set with heated gear. As you know I am a fan of your products (and others) and I've got a nice setup as far as that goes (it's all Gerbing's including gloves, pant liner which I've never had to use and socks which I've never had to use) plus my W&S Gen 4 jacket liner (I like your liner better overall but I really dislike your PDU connections, to the point where I'd rather use the W&S) and the superb EXO controller which is vastly superior to anything else I've tried.

It is in effect new for the sake of new. The first-gen jacket I have, as you said, is excellent. It is still waterproof and doesn't feel worn out. But after this many years, I think it's time for a replacement. As I've bought all "high end" 3 season stuff, I've become a fan of what I see as superior construction and more armor coverage (with superior armor) vs. the less expensive brands. And I'm willing to pay for it, so that's not an issue either (within reason, of course).

The purpose of this jacket will be, say, 55 degrees and below, when the Airshell becomes unsuitable (even with its liner in). So we'll say from October / November onward until Spring comes around again. Not a high mileage season for me, but it's time to get re-outfitted for it.

To be honest I'm leaning toward either Aerostich or Motoport, if only because I have some experience with those brands, and also because I'm trying my best to buy American all else equal.

-MKL

Prior to my KLIM stuff, I had a new two piece Darian followed by a new two piece Roadcrafter. I like the roadcrafter better because it has a finished lining. Having said that, the rear vent on the roadcrafter only opens to the space between the windproof liner and the exterior fabric so IT DOES NOT VENT!! Really stupid design IMO so I sold the roadcrafter and went to KLIM.

Most of the complaints aimed at the Aerostich will not really be applicable to me. I don't care about its venting because I'm only using it in cold temperatures. Likewise I am using a two piece, so any of the pooling issues of the 1 piece aren't really an issue for me.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can go to see some of these other brands in person. KLIM, Rukka, and so on. Big bucks - would rather touch and feel first before buying.

-MKL

By the way....

One thing I do NOT like about BMW gear is the jackets themselves are not waterproof - the liners are. So you ride in the rain, the jacket soaks through, and then the liner keeps you dry. This, to me, is not ideal. My current FG doesn't allow water in, period. No liner required. I don't much care how it breathes in the heat because I only wear it in winter.

I just talked to Motoport and it seems their jackets, too, are not waterproof - liners are.

That's a big push for me toward Aerostich.

-MKL

By the way....

One thing I do NOT like about BMW gear is the jackets themselves are not waterproof - the liners are. So you ride in the rain, the jacket soaks through, and then the liner keeps you dry. This, to me, is not ideal. My current FG doesn't allow water in, period. No liner required. I don't much care how it breathes in the heat because I only wear it in winter.

I just talked to Motoport and it seems their jackets, too, are not waterproof - liners are.

That's a big push for me toward Aerostich.

-MKL

Actually, all jackets get wet, thoroughly, before the water hits the polyurethane, Gore-Tex or other membrane. Whether the outer fabric is Cordura, polyester-based, or other (with some exceptions for some of the new high-tech fabrics from Schoeller, et al), they all get wet. The question is whether the waterproof barrier is bonded to the inside of the outer fabric, whether it's a separate liner sewn to the interior perimeter of the jacket, or whether the actual warmth liner is serving double duty as the waterproofing.

Bonded works well. Every inch that's outer fabric is sealed. An interior liner the same size as and sewn behind the outer fabric also works well. Water passes through the outer fabric and is repelled, rolling down and off at the bottom of the jacket. The problem is with interior warmth liners that are the sole source of waterproofing. Since most warmth liners are actually shorter than their outer jackets, this can create problems with the water that hits them running off the bottom edges and into one's trousers, especially at the rear and particularly when on a bike requiring substantial forward lean.

Separately, I didn't want to mention Gerbing's by name, but since you did, I'm glad you're a fan of our gear. As for the PDU plug, that was a change we made which had about a 50/50 response. It solved one problem and created another. The jacket you had for test was one of the last ones that came in with the PDU. But we had a warehouse full of those to sell before we could order our factory to produce the new one, which has hanging wires that tuck away neatly into a zippered interior pocket. That's the way it is with rolling changes. You must sell existing inventory before introducing something new.

Just like the change to the PDU, the new hanging wires (even with the zippered pocket) seems to please about half our customers, while the other half misses the PDU. But given the greater versatility of the hanging wires, we're staying with those. So, for the past year, on the new the new Made-in America jacket liners coming out of our North Carolina facility, all have had the hanging wires.

You might want to also consider the Aerostich "Transit" suit. It is waterproof leather and uses modern armor unlike the very stiff armor used in the roadcrafter. In cold weather, it is extremely stiff IMO.

Eff....

Oooooooo, now you've got me wanting your liner again. The one I tested fit me PERFECTLY - I mean like it was custom tailored! Fit great, worked great, much lighter and more comfy than my original Gerbing's from 1998. But I just couldn't stand the PDU. With the PDU gone... Hmmmm.... Although other liners are nice as well.

Thanks for the advice on liners. I'll keep on researching and listening for more experience from the group.

-MKL

John Bentall
By the way....

One thing I do NOT like about BMW gear is the jackets themselves are not waterproof - the liners are. So you ride in the rain, the jacket soaks through, and then the liner keeps you dry.

-MKL

Moshe,

Only some BMW suits (e.g. Airshell, Rallye, Trailguard) are constructed with separate waterproof liners. Others (Tourshell, Streetguard) have completely waterproof outer shells using similar fabric to Rukka.

My winter gear is a BMW Streetguard 2 Jacket and Hein Gericke Master V pants.

John

Guest Kakugo

BMW high end bike wear used to be made by a German company called Stadler Motorradbekleidung GmbH.

They make most of the motorcycle gear used by the German and Dutch police.

This is very high end stuff: prices are about the same as Rukka though Rukka tends to use more advanced materials.

The main difference is Rukka gear tends to have a "tighter fit" (like Spidi) while Stadler has a more "relaxed fit" (like Hein Gericke).

In the past two years BMW has moved to other suppliers around the world (guess why :grin: ) and hence Stadler has started marketing gear under their own name.

The reason I didn't post it before is that, simply put, their sales network is still in its infancy and getting their products isn't exactly easy.

I've had my two piece RC for a few years now and last winter was the first with W&S jacket liner. I rode almost every day. But I do not ride on ice, which eliminated most all of February. I take my truck when it is raining in the morning with no forcasted end in sight. However, I don't pay a lot of attension to the forcast in the summer. I've been in quite a few downpours and arrived very dry. My commute is roughly 40 minutes of side roads.

So this is not a great comparison and I cannot say my RC will survive a day of rain. However, it is a very decent, well constructed gear for commuting in cool weather. I would recommend it.

The only times I've ever gotten wet inside my 2 pc. roadcrafter was a) when water runs down my sleeves and into my gloves, and b) when water runs in through the closed vents on my helmet and down my neck. Both episodes are due to prolonged riding in the heaviest of downpours. Never had the imfamous crotch leak. I'm riding an 11RS. I've been commuting in Seattle winters for 9 years in the 'stich, anywhere from 20 min to 1.5 hours each way. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Oh, wait, I lied. I did take a big wave over the bow on the ferry once. All I had on my head was a ball cap. It was a little humid in there after that....

I find the sizing on their website is smallish. If you decide on a roadcrafter, do what I did: Narrow it down to a couple sizes, and have them ship random colors off the shelf that you can try on and then send back. Both I and my wife did this, and we both got a size or two larger than we had anticipated (I even had some custom sizing done). It may be that we're leaving more room for insulation than the average guy, but I really can't see having less room in there. I like the slightly loose fit in the summer too because it helps with the ventilation. Try that suit on with your anticipated winter insulation, and as well with a t-shirt and shorts. Find the balance that works for you.

Provided you get the fit perfect, you'll be keeping it a long time. Some folks I know would say that you might also leave a little room to fill out as you, and your suit, age.... Personnally, if I can't fit in my suit, it's time for a diet.

By the way....

One thing I do NOT like about BMW gear is the jackets themselves are not waterproof - the liners are. So you ride in the rain, the jacket soaks through, and then the liner keeps you dry.

-MKL

Moshe,

Only some BMW suits (e.g. Airshell, Rallye, Trailguard) are constructed with separate waterproof liners. Others (Tourshell, Streetguard) have completely waterproof outer shells using similar fabric to Rukka.

My winter gear is a BMW Streetguard 2 Jacket and Hein Gericke Master V pants.

John

John-

The Streetguard has my attention now as well. Good reviews everywhere online that I've seen. Looks like about a 2-3 year old design by now. Care to offer your impressions of it?

-MKL

John Bentall

The Streetguard has my attention now as well. Good reviews everywhere online that I've seen. Looks like about a 2-3 year old design by now. Care to offer your impressions of it?

-MKL

I have 2 Streetguard Jackets. A 10-year old Mark 1 Goretex jacket that is still used for commutes up to 30 miles. It beads water in a most amazing way and I have never got wet.

It successor is a Streetguard 2 (Goretex XCR) in a short, fat, ba***tard size that offers more room to fit a Gerbing heated jacket underneath and still do up the zip over my belly. Never felt damp in that jacket either.

I have no experience of the Mark 3 which uses a Schoeller C-change membrane in the new suit.

Pants are a different matter IMHO. Heavy rain drips off the jacket and onto the pants where it stays for longer. I thought my 10-year old Mark 1 pants were leaking but I was out in a cloudburst yesterday and did not feel wet at all. One can get a damp feeling but I think this is just the effect of a cold waterproof membrane against bare legs. Yesterday I was wearing some summer underwear and did not feel a thing. Never had a "damp crotch". Unlike the jacket the Mark 1 pants did not have a thermal liner.

Their successor will be a pair of Hein Gericke Master V pants, also in a SFB size, bought in a closeout sale (75% reduction) this Spring because they do have thermal liner.

Neither of the above are intended as over-pants, they are tailored as riding pants. For commuting I use an ancient pair of BMW Cover pants that are designed for this duty.

Personally, having been spoiled by high-end gear, I would not buy any textile suit that did not use a membrane bonded to the Outer Cordura. Goretex charge a fortune for their "Pro-Shell" material, it is difficult to work with and only Rukka and a few others can afford to use it. BMW and a few others have now made the switch to the Schoeller material (it was used in the BMW Comfortshell suit as well). BMW personnel have commented on how easy and pleasant it is to work with the Schoeller folk, so I do not see them switching back.

Good luck with your choice,

John

John Bentall

If you really want to go high-end there is always this

http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/motorcycle-textiles-and-waterproofs?product_id=1280

Doesn't look much, but it is textile with bonded Goretex and Kevlar-lined so that it qualifies "officially" as Safety Work Wear. The whole suit is CE-approved, not just the armor.

It is so incredibly time-consuming (and expensive) to get approved that there will not be any style changes for a long time to come.

Can be custom-tailored as well.

The British police are evaluating these as an alternative to leather in the winter.

"How about the Halvarssons Safety Jacket?", some might say. Well, have you ever felt the weight of one?

Peter Parts
Take a ride to Duluth and get fit for what you want......

:thumbsup:

YES. Best fit.

Very nice people, interesting store. Bargains. I forget the name of the boss, but he is a pillar of the biking community and deserves praise.

Lucky for you, the route includes some great roads in Ontario and nice road from Thunder Bay to Duluth*.

Ben

*c'mon, nobody is so daft they want to go around Chicago, nice as Chicago itself is.

Popped into the local dealer today. No Streetgaurds in stock, but they did have a Klim selection. I came away impressed! It had chest armor, more pockets than I could count, stout construction, and high quality materials and stiching. Hmmm......

-MKL

I have a FirstGear TPG Ranier jacket that serves me very well. I've never been wet, it's very well constructed and it has pockets everywhere.

Linz :)

I am riding in Aerostich Transit leathers after using a Roadcrafter for ten years. I've been in a temperature range of 35 to 100 degrees in the Transits; any colder and I would get out my Gebrings; any hotter and I stay home.

In the spring I did a four hour interstate trip on a day with very heavy rains and a high of 40 degrees - I did not get cold, other than my hands, and I was bone dry inside the suit. I did not have the heated vest with me that day. I would highly recommend the Transits if cost is not your first criteria.

The Transit is a gorgeous suit! I do like it, but for my commute I prefer Textile for a variety of reasons.

-MKL

...but for my commute I prefer Textile for a variety of reasons.

-MKL

Yeah textiles are great in many ways, especially because they have a lot of pockets. The Roadcrafter has enough to almost be a second tank bag.

And black leathers have a way of creating a lot of social space around you when you walk into a family restaurant. Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.

I just purchased a Richa Spirit jacket at the BMWMOA Rally. It is made in Belgium and is just being exported to the U.S. by Vega Helmets. It employs a high tech feature called Nanosphere to repel water and dirt. The jacket also has the c-change capability to react to body temperature. It is not inexpensive, but it is high quality.

Here is a link:

http://www.vegahelmet.com/richa-spirit-jacket.html

Bill

Archived