IGNORED

Too Aggressive Tread?

biometrics

This tire is on sale at a very attractive price (Less than $50.00 delivered to my door).

It is the right size for the front wheel of my '99 R1100RT, BUT the tread is so aggressive that it looks like it will be very noisy on the hiway...

What do you folks think?

6034.jpg.f7ecdb9c8350d20fbc68d792b0c3d47c.jpg

Noise will only bug you first 100 miiles or so, they'll smooth out nicely, you'll get used to it or get some custom fitted earplugs. ;)

looks like a 4 wheeler tire to me.

I thought so too... but the ebay auction specifically lists the motorcycles that this tire fits... and the tire is ZR rated? I don't think ATV's are designed to go that fast...

I think I am going to pass on this tire cause I enjoy my quiet ride on my RT, but in case anyone else is interested, here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370635717929?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you try one of these, please do report on how it rides... (& Sounds).

-John

Guest Kakugo
There is something wrong with the ad. There is no way that would be used on almost any of the bikes listed.

Precisely, since the ad first specifies 12" and 14" rims as available and then a long list of bikes with 17" rims. Probably they wanted to save on fees by publishing a single ad for multiple products. :grin:

PS: CST (Cheng Shing Tires) is none other than Maxxis...

Paul Mihalka

I am more and more into reading scooter stuff. Apparently a few Yamaha Majesty and Suzuki Burgman owners are fitting automotive tires on their scooters. Stock size is 150/70-13, they fit 155/70-13. Comments are acceptable handling (OK, what is acceptable?), low cost, high mileage. Must be great to cross Kansas...

John Bentall

What is going on here?

Just a few threads away there is guy with a rear tire so flattened off it would do quite good service on an automobile (I defy him to do the Stelvio pass on that tyre!) , then another guy wants to fit an ATV/tractor tire on his RT, and now scooter riders who have never seen a corner want to fit auto tires.

This must be an early April Fool's or something!

Guest Kakugo
What is going on here?

Just a few threads away there is guy with a rear tire so flattened off it would do quite good service on an automobile (I defy him to do the Stelvio pass on that tyre!) , then another guy wants to fit an ATV/tractor tire on his RT, and now scooter riders who have never seen a corner want to fit auto tires.

This must be an early April Fool's or something!

The Stelvio is a tourist trap like the Grossglockner. (Important note: it will become a toll road in 2013)

When you are in the area drop me a line and I will tell what roads real men ride. :grin:

And as for tyres. Don't really know what's going on here. I assume it must be sunstroke, water contamination or an outbreak of some dangerous disease.

... then another guy wants to fit an ATV/tractor tire on his RT

nothing in my initial post indicated that I want to fit an ATV/Tractor tire on my RT... I asked a legitmate question regarding the image of the tire, because it doesn't look right for the tire size.

I have since been able to contact the seller who has confirmed that it is the wrong image, and the ad was a goof on their part. They are sending me a photo of the actual tire and I will be glad to post it when it arrives...

Less than $50 for a new (and appropriate) tire is what peaked my curiosity... and wanting to know if anyone had experience with this brand was the reason for my questions.

Some serious mixup on that eBay ad.

Here is a portion of their ad which seems correct

PART# 368-1340

Description:

6 ply Aggressive, sweeping tread design provides superior traction on all types of terrain. Deep, widely spaced tread bars shed mud to provide traction. Comfortable ride on hard pack. Note: Wheels sold separately. Available in: 25 x 8 x 12, 26 x 9 x 14, 26 x 9 x 12, 27 x 9 x 12 and 28 x 9 x 14

All other references seem totally wrong.

Somebody probably used a pre-existing template when they created this ad and forgot to remove the original ad contents.

Seems like an honest "Oops"

I contacted them about the mixup. They agreed and said they would email me some good actual photos of the tire... that hasn't happened yet, and it has been almost a week. Not sure I want to do business with folks that don't keep their word... We'll see when and if I get the photos.

Archived