IGNORED

Aerostich vs. Motoport?

Hedgry

I'm ready to get into a more serious riding suit. My current getup is a Tourmaster Intake (mesh suite with zip in liners). I've been using it for 3 years and it has gotten the job done. I ride pretty much whenever it's above 35 deg F, rain or shine. The zip in liners work fine and it's nice and cool in the hot weather. My main thrust for getting a "better" suit is protection but I need something that I won't roast in on my RT. My neighbor down the street has used Aerostich for a long time and recently got a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket. He said it was "much cooler" than the Aerostich stuff. Before I talked with him my plan was to ride up to Duluth and buy an Aerostich suit but now I'm reconsidering. My key criterion are excellent crash protection, comfortable in very hot weather, but with 3 season versatility, and comfortable for long trips (I do a fair amount of touring).

Or maybe I should just stick with what I've got?

I'd appreciate some insight from the collective!

If you don't mind messing with liners, the Motoport mesh Kevlar is a good choice. It's MUCH cooler than a 'stich, especially behind a fairing. I'm nearly always too hot in my 'stich on the RT, but it's OK up to high 80s on the V-Strom with cut-down windshield.

That being said, if style matters to you, the Motoport suit is, if possible, even uglier than the 'stich. It's also pretty stiff, and much more hassle to get into and out of. And if you're dealing with temps over 98, it actually flows too much air without the liners, dehydrating you and making you hotter (at least in low humidity).

I have had my roadcrafter 1 piece and motoport air mesh each for about 8 years. I do not use the motoport liners. I use frog toggs. However I live in Atlanta, GA and get caught in rain about 8 days a year. So take that for what it is.

Motoport with frog togg and heated gear down to 30 degrees works great. motoport by it self works fine up to 85 degrees. After that if not moving I find anything sucks. Once moving motoport is ok.

I use the 1 piece when it is cold and I just want one layer.

out of 250 riding days a year, I use motoport 225.

I have both.

If the weather is anywhere near cool enough I like the one piece RC the best. I love the feeling of being fully protected in a one piece garment.

The Motoport seems to have the best protection of any mesh gear I have ever seen.

YMMV

I'm currently stuggling with this same choice. I have Motoport pants and they're great! But my primary purpose here is winter gear, and I like the comments about the Stich being hot. That's exactly what I'm looking for in winter gear! And US made, too!

-MKL

I have the motoport stretch Kevlar suit. Assuming the inconvenience of zip in liners is not an issue, I have yet to find a more versatile suit.

I have spent multiple thousand miles in below freezing temps in this suit with the insulated liners and no electrics. Suit does quite will as low as 12 degrees. Weak point has always been gloves and boots.

I have also spent a good number of miles at high temps, exceeding 110 degrees. Again, the suit is very comfortable in this range (with no liners) and is limited only by the ability of the wearer to stay hydrated.

If I lived in the southeast, I would probably opt for the mesh due to the higher humidity, otherwise the stretch Kevlar does just fine.

The most uncomfortable temperature in the suit is at the highest temperature before one begins to sweat. For me, that is the low 90s.

My current getup is a Tourmaster Intake (mesh suite with zip in liners). I've been using it for 3 years and it has gotten the job done. I ride pretty much whenever it's above 35 deg F, rain or shine. The zip in liners work fine and it's nice and cool in the hot weather. My main thrust for getting a "better" suit is protection but I need something that I won't roast in on my RT.

I think your words (above) give you your answer.

If you've been happy with a mesh suit with internal liners, you'd probably be pleased with Motoport.

I made my Motoport "buying decision" the same way.

Immediately prior to getting my Motoport gear, I wore an inexpensive mesh jacket with zip-in windblocker and blue jeans. When it got cool, I'd add a Klim Inferno mid-layer. When it got even cooler, I'd substitute a Gerbing jacket for the Klim. When it got even cooler, I'd add chaps (which work great with a heated seat!). Because that combo worked well -- except for protection -- I knew I'd be happy with a Motoport combo.

So I told Wayne, "Make this jacket and these pants." My Marathon jacket has the same pocket configuration as my inexpensive mesh jacket. My pants are like jeans.

I like them because I knew I would.

I'm currently stuggling with this same choice. I have Motoport pants and they're great! But my primary purpose here is winter gear, and I like the comments about the Stich being hot. That's exactly what I'm looking for in winter gear! And US made, too!

-MKL

I rode to Detroit wearing my RC in November twice in the last couple years on my GS. Gerbings jacket liner and regular(no electricity) heavy gloves and boots. I was good to low 20's and snow flurries. (Could prolly handle cooler temps.)

I put a long sleeve shirt under the Gerbing and light jacket over it. The only time I was cold was when I stopped for gas and had to unplugged.

Gerbing and RoadCrafter is hard to beat in the cold.

Again

YMMV

I enjoy riding more when I am in the RC.

I had a First Gear mesh outfit for many years and it worked great here in Central Texas. This spring, I replaced it with a Motoport Mesh Jacket and pants. I also ordered the liner and insulated liner. I expect this with a Frogtogs outfit will suit my needs for all weather conditions. The Motoport Mesh outfit has been great this summer although a bit warmer than the First gear because of the increased body armour. I feel much safer in the Motoport than I did in the First Gear.

As noted above, it depends on what you want from the protective gear.

FWIW: I have a Roadcrafter and a Darien jacket/pants, as well as a Joe Rocket (read: cheap) mesh jacket. My wife has a Motoport jacket -- her current 1st-choice wear. I'm usually on an R12RT or similar fully-faired bike.

As to the "what do you want it for" question, here's my reasons:

Unfortunately, 95% of my mileage is daily combat commuting in the Wash, DC area. I'm also "a suit" so I have to be "presentable" when I walk in the office door. For this application, the Aerostich is perfect -- never have to pack or don a rainsuit, and truly only a few seconds to zip off the gear and step out of the suit "office ready." Combined with max armor/protection for the idiot-dodging, it covers all my needs. It also doubles as excellent touring gear -- it's hard to run out of well-thought-out pockets. Availability of custom arm/leg length tailoring is also a plus -- I finally drove to Duluth to get measured to get a Roadcrafter which fit my weird shape.

Down sides of a 'stich?

They vent/breathe pretty well, but in the range between 85F-95F, they can be hot. Over 95F, I want to be totally isolated from the outside air, as the hot air makes heat rejection from the body nearly impossible (if you're not hyper-hydrating and carring off heat with sweat, you're really going to be in the hurts). For example, I rode from Virginia to the MOA Sedalia, MO rally a couple weeks ago. 6 days, not a single one under 100F; first day an SS1000 with a couple thunderstorms in WV. If I had not been wearing a closed-up Darien jacket/pants and hydrating constantly, I do not believe I would have made it. In fact, I was surprised at how overall comfortable I was, as long as I kept up the hydration. Also was nice to not have to stop to don a rainsuit -- the Darien was totally water-tight, in a couple good frog-stranglers.

Other down side of a 'stich: The Roadcrafter has a "deserved" reputation for allowing water entry in the crotch area during prolonged rain exposure, due to the commuter-friendly long zipper layout -- Andy Goldfine has stated that is a deliberate design choice to favor commuter function over rain-tightness ("If you want waterproof, get a Darien.") That said, I can count on one hand the number of times water penetrated my Roadcrafter, in part because the full fairing keeps most of the rain off, except when standing still. Also, I recently sent my Roadcrafter back for a refurb and installation of the new, more water-resistant zippers, and have yet to get any water intrusion since getting it back.

That brings me back to the other aspect of a 'stich -- the customer service. There aren't many vendors that build their own suits, do so in a US facility which is readily accessible to the public, and will do virtually any road-rash repair, refurbishment, cleaning, upgrades, etc.

Don't get me wrong about the Motoport -- very good kit. But for *my* needs (which I would not begin to suggest match yours) a 'stich is just about perfect. While pricy, I look at their suits as a long-term investment, in the long run costing less and providing superior protection. My 10-year old Roadcrafter after the refurb is as fresh as it ever was (but already nicely broken in!), and I expect at least another decade or two's use from it. Not many other products you can say that about.

malcolmblalock

I know everyone has their own experiences, tolerances, and viewpoints, but by far, the Roadcrafter is my favorite riding suit. One hard-to-explain facet is that I feel much more secure and safe when I'm wearing it. I really have no idea whether coats and pants separation is a real issue on a fall, but with the 'stich, it is not an issue. As others have said, ease of putting it on is very high; 15 seconds from start to finish. Can wear nice clothes underneath and look professional for the office with minimal effort. Essentially waterproof on an RT.

I don't have any Motoport riding gear, but I know they make high quality gear. So, I'm not trying in any way to put them down. When I bought my 'stich, I seriously considered Motoport, even ordering the cloth swatches to study.

In the end, I chose the 'stich, and I've been completely satisfied with it. My suit, a hi-viz yellow (originally hi-viz, now a ratty looking yellow) is 5 years old and has more than 100k miles on it. Had it refurbished this spring (waterproof zippers, new velcro, and re-stiching some loose seams, and functionally it's as good as new to me.

Again, everyone has their own experiences and tastes, so whatever works for me may easily be horrible to someone else.

I been using a 2pc AeroStich for 12 years and 200 K miles, yes the same one. I use from 24 to 116 degrees and rain or shine. When I slip into my Stich it is like putting on a armored suit that just works for me. Just completed a 2 week, 6100 mile ride to the MOA and UnRally, where I spend several days at 110+ on the bike and also mornings in the Rockies that had temps in the 50's. I think all this ventilation stuff is a little over rated and I believe to many folks give up decent protection for possible comfort.

Almost everyone that complained on this trip about the heat was riding in mesh gear, to much venting can hurt your body more then no venting.

My Stich may look like hell, but it is solid and does not leak and I believe it will be there, when I need it to protect me.

I got a pair of Motoport mesh pants a few weeks ago. I have been really happy with them and am planning to purchase/hoping to be able to afford a jacket to go with them next year. For now, though, I am wearing a them with your current jacket - Tour Master Intake - and it works quite well. I ordered the pants with the 29" zipper to attach to a jacket, and then went out and bought a matching zipper (nylon YKK #10) to sew into the jacket (I asked Motoport to sell me the jacket half as well, but they sort of ignored that request - they did not seem totally "on top" of customer service when I ordered, but I did get the jacket way ahead of promised date).

I've been riding the last three days in NE Oregon, Idaho and SE Washington - it's hot over here (currently at 845pm it is 90, highs have been 100-106) - on my R1100RT. I've been very happy with the fit of the pants, and they are WAY better than non mesh pants or even jeans, but without adding something like those Baker (sp?) Wings, there just isn't much air flowing around your legs on an RT.

I tried a RC briefly, and it wasn't for me. Putting on the Motoport pants is just as easy (or hard - your choice - it's the same setup, basically) as the RC, even when they are zipped to my jacket.

I haven't decided what to do for winter (I already have winter pants, but not with as much protection). Originally I was planning to go with either my current hiking rain pants or Frogg Toggs (sp?) over the top, but that would mean putting them on in two stages (maybe that's also true of the Motoport pants liner?) as the FTs wouldn't have the full leg zips...and wouldn't cost much less than just getting the Motoport liner.

Oh - almost got black pants as Motoport claims even their black mesh won't transfer heat from the sun, but I opted for grey instead. Maybe the black MESH really wouldn't have transferred heat, but I can tell you for sure the black velcro on the ankle/calf adjustment sure does! Not really noticeable when riding, but very noticeable stopped at a light with the sun to your back.

josh

My one-piece Roadcrafter was perfect for riding to my teaching job in NY during the colder months. I sold it to a Michigan motorcyclist when I moved to Florida. Way too hot for riding in a warm place. It's mesh all the way here.

I have two one piece suits, one mesh the other solid. One piece suits are hard to store on the bike when you go into a restaurant, etc.

I like the ability to take off the jacket when stopped, the two piece gives that.

The non-mesh suits are just too hot over 80 degrees for comfort.

I bought the Marathon mesh kevlar jacket and the mesh kevlar pants from Motoport. Outstanding quality and the armor really gives confidence. Supposedly this two piece gives as good of protection as a one piece.

It is still too hot to wear in extreme heat and humidity ( Houston ) if there is a chance you will be in stop and go traffic. The mesh does not breathe as well as some others I own.

I have the liners and I think this suit will handle low temps and wet weather. On a long trip I would be ok on it even at 100 degrees as long as I am moving. But around town in very hot weather I'll use other gear.

I really am impressed with the way the armor fits and how comfortable the Motoport gear is. I did not find it too stiff. I considered an Aerostich, the mesh factor and possibly better armor is why I bought the Motoport gear.

Thanks everyone for the input. Now I'm even more unsure because everyone has made convincing cases for both. I suppose getting both would solve that problem but that's a little extravagant for me. It's interesting that there are a fair amount of folks who maintain that the RC is comfortable in hot weather (including customer reviews on Aerostich's website-in fact many people commented that it was not warm enough in cold weather on its own and required some layers). Yet there are some who say it was decidedly too hot in hot weather. Most people who were in the Motoport corner stated that the Motoport was fine across the board with the right layers. I suppose it depends on the bike and maybe on your body type. I've got some figgerin to do.

Thanks everyone for the input. Now I'm even more unsure because everyone has made convincing cases for both. I suppose getting both would solve that problem but that's a little extravagant for me. It's interesting that there are a fair amount of folks who maintain that the RC is comfortable in hot weather (including customer reviews on Aerostich's website-in fact many people commented that it was not warm enough in cold weather on its own and required some layers). Yet there are some who say it was decidedly too hot in hot weather. Most people who were in the Motoport corner stated that the Motoport was fine across the board with the right layers. I suppose it depends on the bike and maybe on your body type. I've got some figgerin to do. [/quote

Madison to Duluth is a sweet ride! Get Er Done!

It's interesting that there are a fair amount of folks who maintain that the RC is comfortable in hot weather (including customer reviews on Aerostich's website-in fact many people commented that it was not warm enough in cold weather on its own and required some layers). Yet there are some who say it was decidedly too hot in hot weather.

Most people are convinced the product they paid for is the best. I am sure there is a psychology phrase for that. I am as guilty as anyone about that.....

I'll put this out for thought: The only way a non mesh suit can be comfortable in warmer temps is by funneling air into the suit with vents in the arms/armpits/chest/back and best of all to get air to run up the sleeves from the cuff. Still hot at higher temps and on a fully faired bike, even with just a good windscreen there is simply no way to get enough air into the upper part of the suit for TRUE comfort. You may survive, but don't use the word comfortable.

The PROBLEM no one mentions is the pants or lower area of the suit. There is just no way to get air into the leg area without compromising the suits integrity. Even if you can live with the upper part of the suit, the lower part or pants get so hot it is miserable! Feels like you put a garbage bag over each leg before the suit. This starts at no more than 80 degrees in my experience. If you live in more temperate climates, the suits like the Aerostitch and Olympia might be a good compromise. But in Houston thru the summer months it is typically 75-80 degrees at 6am and goes up from there. I just wouldn't ride if I had to use a solid fabric suit in those temps.

The only way a non mesh suit can be comfortable in warmer temps is by funneling air into the suit with vents in the arms/armpits/chest/back and best of all to get air to run up the sleeves from the cuff.

Depends on how one defines "mesh".

Motoport's stretch Kevlar is not considered "mesh" but allows a considerable amount of airflow through the uncoated unlined fabric.

The PROBLEM no one mentions is the pants or lower area of the suit. There is just no way to get air into the leg area without compromising the suits integrity. Even if you can live with the upper part of the suit, the lower part or pants get so hot it is miserable! Feels like you put a garbage bag over each leg before the suit. This starts at no more than 80 degrees in my experience.

I respectfully disagree. My 'stich legs are not noticably warmer than the upper -- in fact, because they keep engine heat off my legs, I'm more comfortable than if I only had jeans.

Most people are convinced the product they paid for is the best. I am sure there is a psychology phrase for that. I am as guilty as anyone about that.....

"Cognitive dissonance." It's also why people hold onto insane political opinions as well.

That aside, it's true, this is a relative subject. My Motoport mesh overpants certainly don't flow the air that a real flimsy "mesh" like Firstgear flows, because the material is much thicker and the armor covers basically everything in sight. That's the price you're paying for the integrity of the garment.

For me I'm looking for a fall / winter / early spring jacket, so if Aerostich is warm, so much the better. When it gets hot I don the BMW Airshell.

-MKL

Thanks everyone for the input. Now I'm even more unsure because everyone has made convincing cases for both. I suppose getting both would solve that problem but that's a little extravagant for me. It's interesting that there are a fair amount of folks who maintain that the RC is comfortable in hot weather (including customer reviews on Aerostich's website-in fact many people commented that it was not warm enough in cold weather on its own and required some layers). Yet there are some who say it was decidedly too hot in hot weather. Most people who were in the Motoport corner stated that the Motoport was fine across the board with the right layers. I suppose it depends on the bike and maybe on your body type. I've got some figgerin to do.

I have both. Bought motoport mesh one-peice new and roadcrafter one piece used. You can get a decent deal on a used roadcrafter, check advrider.com.

Both have pros and cons as already being mentioned by others. I like the finish and feel of roadcrafter better. Motoport has more armor and is built like a tank. Get both :)

I have the Motoport mesh kevlar pants with zip in liner that works fine year around with the RT here in the NW, I just wish I would have purchased them sooner.

I owned a Roadcrafter one-piece that I had fitted to me in Duluth. It was a great bit of gear for riding, but it had several drawbacks that made me start looking for a replacement.

1. 95% of my riding is commuting, which often involves stopping to pick up groceries, run errands or go to meetings during the day. The one-piece Roadcrafter is a big piece of gear, and its hard to compact down enough to store when you're off the bike. Wearing while off the bike is pretty hot, and will get you a lot of witty comments from non-riders as well. I know running a cable lock through the sleeve and let is an option, but I ascribe to the 'out of sight, out of mind' theory of property protection, and prefer to stash my stuff in a locked top case. The Roadcrafter takes up the bulk of a large Givi top case just by itself.

2. In hot weather when riding in stop and go traffic, the Roadcrafter is hot. Even with all the vents open, I would arrive at my destination soaked in sweat. That was OK for riding home, but not acceptable if going to a business meeting off-site somewhere.

Eventually, my Roadcrafter started to leak in the crotch, and then in the main zipper area down the front. I ordered the waterproofing kit from Aerostich, which solved the problem for a year until it came back. The Roadcrafter lasted about four years before it was shelved. At that point I decided to go another direction and ordered a Motoport Canyon 2 jacket. And I'm still wearing it ten years later.

I'm not in the position where I can afford a piece of gear for each season - I want something that I can wear all year that will work for both cold and hot weather. Bear in mind that I'm also warm-blooded, meaning I'm a bit stout and I get warm in hot weather. If someone's an ectomorph body type and not subject to sweat when its warm, the Roadcrafter would probably work.

Hell yeah! Regardless of what I end up getting I'm planning a ride through the UP in Sept and a stop at the Rider's Warehouse.

Hell yeah! Regardless of what I end up getting I'm planning a ride through the UP in Sept and a stop at the Rider's Warehouse.

Don't they have a new lighter weight setup?

I just finished a VERY HOT trip to complete the SCMA 21 California Missions Tour. We left Long Beach at 6 am and went straight to Sonoma to start our mission tour. The 5 was very hot all the way with 100 degrees plus. We traveled over 1050 miles by the time we returned home the next day. Ten northern California missions in 48 hours.

I wore the Motoport Mesh Kevlar jacket and mesh pants. I was plenty hot since it was hot. With plenty of hydration, an evaporative cooling towel you can ride all day if you are crazy as we must be. I liked this suit in heat much better than my Olympia and Tourmaster mesh products. They are made cheap, flimsy material that will not hold up in a crash. I have not owned a Aerostich suit, but I have read and heard repeatedly that it is hotter than a Motoport. It is, to some, a nicer looking garment, but not safer. There is lots of airflow with the Motoport, just stand up on the freeway to stretch. My bike (an 2004 RT) reduces the flow far more than the suit. I opted for all of the protective armor so that reduces airflow, but that was my choice. The versatility of the suit was shown the next day when we wound our way in the 60 degree foggy No Cal morning (with a liner) before more scorching heat on the 46 and 5 over the grapevine. My bud clocked 110+ degrees on his newer RT for a long time. The Motoport suit is the best (IMO) and it is the brand I will ride for comfort and safety. Hell, you already ride a motorcycle why would you not try to reduce your risk with a quality suit. If you live close or if you can ride there, go see Wayne at Motoport and see for yourself or ride to Minnesota to try the Aerostich.

IMG_1580.jpg

This ride made me even more convinced about global warming...

I also wonder about how people texting always seem to swerve toward motorcyclists

Urban Surfer

I bought a motoport kevlar air mesh suit 9 years ago. I can't see every buying a new suit, I'm sure this one will last until it goes through a wood chipper. It's the best gear for any weather.

The day I picked up my new suit a lady arrived with a very old and soft suit for a zipper repair. Wayne immediately had someone fix it for free and she was on her way. She must ride A LOT and it must be old to make a mesh kevlar suit soft. Nice

I've got the Motoport Mesh jacket, and stretch Kevlar pants. It's a good combo on my 12RT.

Lots of armor, good air-flow. I feel safer in this, than any other gear I have owned.

"Cognitive dissonance." It's also why people hold onto insane political opinions as well.

That aside, it's true, this is a relative subject. My Motoport mesh overpants certainly don't flow the air that a real flimsy "mesh" like Firstgear flows, because the material is much thicker and the armor covers basically everything in sight. That's the price you're paying for the integrity of the garment.

For me I'm looking for a fall / winter / early spring jacket, so if Aerostich is warm, so much the better. When it gets hot I don the BMW Airshell.

-MKL

+1 :thumbsup:

Archived