IGNORED

GPS Sticker Shock

Amac

So my bike was finally found by the authorities and it's currently being put back together and repainted. However, the thieves did take the Garmin Quest2 that I had been using as a navigator. It has been discontinued, and does not seem to be easily available as a used unit

I checked out the Garmin Zumos, but at $600-$700, that's too rich for my blood.

Any thoughts on what to do for a replacement GPS unit?

To be honest, the Zumos and the TomTom are pretty much the only game in town.

I tried using a Nuvi 760 in a sealed box. The box works fine, only problem is that now the only way to get power to the unit is via it's USB connector and then the GPS thinks it's hooked up to a PC, so never gets out of the PC connection mode. So you have to run it on battery which will last less then a hundred km in daylight due to having to turn the brightness to 100% to be able to see it, draining the battery in no time.

Next would be the "Strike Genius", an Australian made unit.

It's not bad as I had it on my R1150RT, but here are the drawbacks:

1) If mounting on traditional round handlebar..great, you are set.

Any other mounting and you are in for a bit of money in hardware to make it usable on RAM mounting systems, which are pretty much standard industry now.

2) Good map and good software but the map maker Navteq is absolutely hopeless.

A) Outdated maps

B) Their Server is useless as there is a huge amount of complains on their forums in regards of not getting their paid for map download with the Server not working. Funny enough, the Server that takes your money, works flawless and you money will be transferred instantly :/

They simply do not respond to User's request for help on their own forum and if they do respond it's short and .....useless.

The cost is high for map updates which are always miles behind time and already outdated.

TomTom

Heard good things and if you take the deal with the included wireless headset, it might be the way to go.

Not having used the unit myself, but having read up on it on their own side, it seems to be missing crucial hardware, which will up it's price right into the Zumo 660 range.

So your option would be the Zumo220 as the cheapest alternative or go the whole hog straight to the Zumo660/665.

Yes...motorbike GPS is expensive.

All units have issues with readability in bright sunlight. Some covers to shield the unit from sunlight can help, but not in all situations.

Afternoon Amac

Go to this web site then click on "Which GPS for me". Might get some ideas there. But might not be of much help you if you are not sure what your budget can handle vs functionality.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

One of my personal favorite GPS units for all around (on road/off road/exploring) is the Garmin 60csx (not made anymore but still around for sale). Only problem is not a cheap unit & the price isn't much lower than the Zumo 550. (a great off road & track handling unit). It also doesn't come with a NT U.S. map (only world map) so you have to buy the NT mapping.

For on road "MOTORCYCLE" traveling you can't beat the Zumo series & the Zumo 550 is a great all around road GPS (not so good off road or exploring though). 450 is just as good if you don't want the blue tooth & other minor functions like car cradle. You should able to find a re-furbished Z-550 or Z-450 for a decent price (still not cheap), just make sure it comes with mapping or you will need to add that to the base price of the unit.

The one thing I can suggest is to not skimp on a GPS (even if you have to wait & save up for a while). A cheap GPS that doesn't have the functions, robustness, & waterproofness for specific motorcycle use is a waste of your time & money.

Search www.thefind.com for what you think you want, including the Quest. Results can be ordered by price, etc. Good luck, there are plenty of decent serviceable units out there now. GPS City is another good source for new and refurb units.

----Good price on Garmin 76Cx,same insides as as 60 CSx.

Waterproof and it floats,unlike the 60!

Morning JR356

Does that 76Cx have a 12 volt power in wire so it can be powered from the bike's battery? I know it has a non water proof USB so that isn't a real option but I don't see a 12 volt power option.

My 60 Csx won't run on the internal batteries long at night with the back light illuminated (needed to see the screen at night).

I like the Zumo 220 although the little USB connector they provide if you hardwire it into your bike's electrical system appears to be a weak point. Try not to let that get wet and use contact cleaner on it.

Dont have a 76,but do have a 60Cx and there is 12v power option via connector in back,not USB.

76 being essentially the same should have this,but I'm not 100% sure.

Check Garmin website or other sources.

Addendum,just checked,12v input the same,here is power cable,several other cable options available:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=527

My used 60Cx came with one,not sure it's included with new units.

JR356

Check out the Garmin Montana. Lots of rave reviews on the ADVrider board. About half the price of the 550 and includes a camera! I know Marcopolo has one and loves it.

Check out the Garmin Montana. Lots of rave reviews on the ADVrider board. About half the price of the 550 and includes a camera! I know Marcopolo has one and loves it.

When my Street Pilot gives it up, I'll be getting the Montana or whatever is next in the lineup. Hopefully, my unit will go another 3 years or so, but I can tell the Recalculating is wearing that woman out :rofl: .

Nice n Easy Rider

When my Street Pilot gives it up, I'll be getting the Montana or whatever is next in the lineup. Hopefully, my unit will go another 3 years or so, but I can tell the Recalculating is wearing that woman out :rofl: .

Ken,

You should have gotten the upgraded unit that automatically responds to "recalculating" with "whatever you say hon". It cuts down the wear & tear immensely. :D

To be honest, the Zumos and the TomTom are pretty much the only game in town.

I tried using a Nuvi 760 in a sealed box. The box works fine, only problem is that now the only way to get power to the unit is via it's USB connector and then the GPS thinks it's hooked up to a PC, so never gets out of the PC connection mode. So you have to run it on battery which will last less then a hundred km in daylight due to having to turn the brightness to 100% to be able to see it, draining the battery in no time.

Almost any device powered/recharged through a USB cable (except Apple stuff) checks whether it is connected via an AC charger or a computer USB socket. If it concludes it's connected to a computer, it limits it's current draw to 0.500 amps., if it decides it has AC power available, it asks for whatever it really wants (and accepts whatever it gets).

The method almost everyone (except Apple) uses is to check whether the 'data pins' in the 4 wire Micro USB are shorted out to each other. If so it's an AC charger and the device will go for it. If not, it's a computer, and the device wil only ask for 0.500 amps.

Most cigarette lighter USB chargers DO NOT short the data pins.

This one does

Amazon USB Charger

Ken,

You should have gotten the upgraded unit that automatically responds to "recalculating" with "whatever you say hon". It cuts down the wear & tear immensely. :D

...but that model is very expensive :dopeslap:

I still like my old Zumo 550 purchased new in 2007. I always use the audio out jack for nav instructions (plus built-in mp3 player or GXM30 interface) so its smaller screen and clunkier form factor isn't an issue for me. I bought a 2nd 550 on ADV recently, so now have one on my S-bike and GS too. IMO, a fresh Garmin refurb with all original accessories, lifetime maps and a Touratech locking mount for $410 shipped wasn't a bad deal. :grin:

Camhead in STL

I ended up putting an HTC Flyer up there on the dash. It just fits and you get Google Maps for free. If it gets wet, I slip a waterproof bag over it. You could do the same with a Nexus 7 for $199 plus all the mounting gadgeting.

I really need to document the install, I'm VERY satisfied with this.

Ken,

...but that model is very expensive :dopeslap:

Still running my SP 2730.

Refurbished, bought for $200 when I need the Garmin puck.

Updated maps for old 2730 was $75, Garmin $125, so I got a "new" 2730 instead and have two GPS's

a functioning XM.

Waterproof.

Secured w/Touratech locking mount, but who wants an old GPS?

;)

Runs flawlessly thru the Autocom.

Only problem is when the Garmin gal and Beth both tell me where to go...

Still running my SP 2730.

Refurbished, bought for $200 when I need the Garmin puck.

Updated maps for old 2730 was $75, Garmin $125, so I got a "new" 2730 instead and have two GPS's

a functioning XM.

Waterproof.

Secured w/Touratech locking mount, but who wants an old GPS?

;)

Runs flawlessly thru the Autocom.

Only problem is when the Garmin gal and Beth both tell me where to go...

I'm somewhat of an Garmin junkie, having Zumo 550 units on both motos plus StreetPilot units in both cages (2720 in jeep and 2730 in truck). I only have one GXM30 receiver/antenna though. Cost to buy them used isn't the issue - its Sirius XM subscription pricing that's the deal-breaker for me. So I move the hockey puck from truck (2730 audio output wired to truck radio aux input) to either moto Zumo unit as needed. BTW, I do prepay for 12 mos XM service at the unadvertised "special rate" -- which reminds me I need to call them soon, otherwise they'll start charging my credit card for monthly service at the full rate! :eek:

Still using the Streetpilot 2720, which I bought off craiglist 3 years ago for $120.00. It's still pretty reliable and I think you can still get maps for it. Unfortunately, the thin-film screen protector finally peeled off, so I just slapped a generic smartphone screen protector over it. I have to replace it occasionally, but it's a minor expense.

Yeah, the cost of the Zumos are obscene.

Still using the Streetpilot 2720, which I bought off craiglist 3 years ago for $120.00. It's still pretty reliable and I think you can still get maps for it. ....

Yes, the 2720 uses the current Garmin maps so you can update it with a new map. I've got a 2610 and a 2720; the 2610 is still a great functioning GPS but no more map updates from Garmin.

FWIW, I've been using my Garmin 1490 for two years or so on the GT, in the car and in our RV for navigation. No problems at all with the 1490 on the bike, the large 5" screen is easy to read in all but the strongest daylight and the touch screen is responsive enough even with gloves on. Can't beat the price at ~$150 with lifetime maps.

A bonus - the speaker on this sucker is loud enough to be heard over ambient road noise while wearing -30db earplugs! If it died tomorrow, I'd do it again.

I use a Nuvi and keep a couple of zip-lock sandwich bags in the glove box. If it rains, I just slide a bag over the GPS and zip it mostly closed. Works great, costs about $200 less than the Zumo.

Archived