IGNORED

Reparing BMW Multi Varo tank bag - new foam base

SAAB93driver

SAAB93driver

I have the BMW tank bag for my R1150RS. I don't use it much anymore and discovered the foam base has started to disintegrate. I looked online for advice and found I should use 1" thick closed cell neoprene foam to replace it. Cool, I bought a 1/4 sheet of that, enough to make about 3 bases. But cutting this stuff and having it look "good" seems to be beyond my ability or at least my cutting tool collection (including a hot knife). Any tips on how to cut this foam to size? Or maybe take it somewhere like upholstery shop?

Our tankbags must be about the same age. Purchased new for my 2001 R1100RS and the foam bottom pad is coming apart. Where did you find the replacement foam? Thanks!

SAAB93driver
Our tankbags must be about the same age. Purchased new for my 2001 R1100RS and the foam bottom pad is coming apart. Where did you find the replacement foam? Thanks!

I got it here, closed cell neoprene foam, quarter sheet.

http://www.foamexpress1.com/Closed_Cell_Foam.php

I think I figured out how to cut it but it's difficult to keep it uniform. Sharp knife and single motion, don't saw it otherwise it gives a jagged edge, but it is hard to go back and correct the cut and have it look ok and hard to keep knife at 90 deg to material. So basically I made a sacrificial pad the first go around. I have enough material for 3 more so I have 3 more chances.

Archived