IGNORED

Mounting a Zumo 550 (BMW) on Migsel Mount - Ram Ball - 07RT

Dean Wirsing

Dean Wirsing

I wish to move my BMW Zumo 550 from the handlebars to a newly purchased Migsel mount (used), with a Ram ball. I bought my 07 RT this spring, it came with the GPS mounted on the handlebars. Have the box for the GPS, but don't seem to have any RAM ball mount for the carriage.

Can anybody tell me what part I need in order to mount my GPS on the RAM ball mount?

Also, will the cabling be long enough to move it up to the shelf, or do I need extensions?

I put the GPS on the bike last night, nice of it to tell me the fuel level was low, and I should look for a gas station!

Thanks,

Dean

Hi Dean,

I suspect you need a RAM Mounting Base to attach to the carriage for the gps. I have an 06 RT with the Migsel mount and a Zumo 660. My cables were long enough to make it back to an underseat fuse panel I installed without extensions (I assume the 550 and 660 use the same harness). I popped my right mirror off and found I could route the cable under the painted piece and down into the cavity behind the mirror. From there it was just a matter of cable tying the harness to the back. It worked nicely and made for a clean installation.

The RAM part that Al linked is the one Garmin furnishes with the Zumo unit, but you can also use one like this as I did a few months ago. It has hole pattern matching the Zumo 450/550 moto mounting cradle. I bought mine from the linked supplier. This square version matches profile of the cradle nicely, IMO.

403666774.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dean Wirsing

Hi All,

I got the parts for the RAM mount - a square plate and a double socket. Putting the GPS onto the Migsel mount up top.

Do I need to use loctite on the four bolts going through the cradel into the square plate, or would a lock washer suffice?

Looks like there may have been loctite on the bolts into the handlebar mount.

Thanks,

Dean

Archived