IGNORED

Michelin PR2 or PR3 ?

Mark Mayo

I need to buy tires and the trusted folks I have been riding with all use Michelin and not the Metzlers I have used for the last three changes.

I like highway at somewhat north of posted limit. I also ride the twisties and sweeps with really good, skilled riders and manage to keep up. I like a good 500-700 mile day on the bike. I ride in CA, but will tour monument valley in October.

Which Michelin model and why?

Thanks in advance

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Today I am getting a set of PR3s spooned on my GS. My mechanic tells me that nothing sticks as well as these. He described them as suction cups for the road.

I have heard great things about the PR3s. Newer dual compound that sticks well and lasts well. Longevity depends on so many factors i.e., road surace, road layout, temperature, your riding style, etc. I see the average here in the east, tearing up the twisties of north GA, NC, TN and WVA/VA somewhere around 5k for the very agressive rider, to 8-9k for riders like me just trying to keep up on the occasional weekend I get up there.

I put PR2s on my 1100RT last year, after two sets of Metzler Z6s (14k miles on the last set of those!).

I have been very happy with the PR2s. They seem to do fine in the wet, are quiet at speed, and I just spent a week on the very warm, twisty roads of eastern Oregon and they did well over there too.

I chose the 2s over the 3s as there was a pretty substantial, to me, price difference last fall. I don't know what the costs are now.

Of course, I like to use a tire up on the bike before I switch, so almost anything new always seems so much better than what's coming off (even when it's exactly the same tire).

josh

I'm on my 3rd set of PR2's. Most of my riding is commuting with the occasional weekend trip in the mountain twists. I've gotten 10k+ miles on the PR2's. The handle great in dry and wet conditions, wear very evenly, low road noise. I also chose not to get the PR3 because of the expense. I'm pretty much set on Michelin tires..just a good quality product.

markgoodrich

I've had many sets of PR2s. The best handling setup was a PR2 rear and a Pilot Power front. Last change I put PR3s on. I'm a almost 3000 miles so far. Usually by now the PR rear would be quite squared off. The PR3 is looking better. Subjectively, the rear is also wearing better. The front looks new. The miles included about 2200 high speed highway miles, solo, with full luggage, and the rest was twisty roads at my version of a spirited pace. Going to Torrey in September, two up, and I'm sure the rear will not make the whole trip before needing replacement with that load. Riding in the rain with the PR3 I gained enough confidence to ride close to my normal pace...on twisty roads. I think both are excellent tires; I seem to be getting more miles out of the PR3, and am more confident with it. Could just be a mind thing, the confidence.

I had PR2 on my 1200RT and got about6-7K miles out of them.

I have my first set of PR# and 6k miles and it looks like it will go quite a bit longer. I am going to guess 8-9k.

I like that mileage.

Cheers,

I just did the first tire change on my RT. Went to the PR2's. I had them on my ST1300 and usually would get 11-12K miles out of them. Hopefully will be the same on the RT. I commute on the bike and can put up to 2K miles a month on it, so right now the added expense for the PR3 is not worth it to me. I am not sure the PR3 will get much more if any mileage compared to the PR2. Maybe a little better grip and wet weather.

Guest Kakugo

I had them both. The PR3 is the better tyre: lasts longer (I got 3000km over the PR2 from the first set), more stable at highway speeds, better in the rain, more overall grip etc. However all things considered I think the PR2 dealt a tad better with poorer tarmac conditions, probably because of slightly softer construction.

If price is the same (like around here), go for the PR3. If the PR2 is considerably cheaper, go for it.

If you ride a lot two up or loaded with luggage consider getting the reinforced "B" rear. It was originally designed for the K1200/1300GT so it can handle the extra weight. However I found it to slightly affect handling, as the standard PR3 turns in a tad better.

I had them both. The PR3 is the better tyre: lasts longer (I got 3000km over the PR2 from the first set), more stable at highway speeds, better in the rain, more overall grip etc. However all things considered I think the PR2 dealt a tad better with poorer tarmac conditions, probably because of slightly softer construction.

Since you had them both, do you notice any difference in tread noise from the front tire? The PR3, perhaps because of the very fine crosstread sipes, seems to whine more than other tires I have used. This noise was noticeable from the time they went on, and has not changed with mileage. With earplugs, it's not annoying, just noticeable.

Since you had them both, do you notice any difference in tread noise from the front tire? The PR3, perhaps because of the very fine crosstread sipes, seems to whine more than other tires I have used. This noise was noticeable from the time they went on, and has not changed with mileage. With earplugs, it's not annoying, just noticeable.

+1

Great tire, just hums along on concrete but I don't notice it on asphalt!

:thumbsup:

Guest Kakugo

To be completely and utterly honest it's been a while since I have heard a tyre making any kind of noise.

I wear earplugs but I also have almost 0 db hearing (as the doctor said "you can hear the grass growing"). Could be the tarmac here in Europe is just different...

To be completely and utterly honest it's been a while since I have heard a tyre making any kind of noise.

I wear earplugs but I also have almost 0 db hearing (as the doctor said "you can hear the grass growing"). Could be the tarmac here in Europe is just different...

I'm with you there.

I can't say I've ever noticed any noise from any tire on any motorcycle I've ever ridden and that includes knobbies on my dual sport. I'm sure they make some sort of noise, but how you hear that to the point of it being an issue escapes me.

By the time I'm going fast enough for the tires to make any real noise wind and engine noise have taken over.

I just mounted PR3 on my RT and I could not believe how quiet and smooth they are. I am running 2# higher pressure than my old Angel ST pirellis because the STs sounded like you were hitting a curb when you ran over freeway reflectors lane splitting. I had to drop 2#s of pressure just to make it rideable on the road. The PR3s are dead silent even when you hiy bumps.

They seem to stick better that the STs so far but I only have a few miles on them so far. They seem to have a very slightly heavier feel on transitions from left to right than the STs, but it is negligible. The tri-compound looks like it will be a good thing on wear....time will tell on that.

I think both the PR2 and 3s are great tires and the new tread pattern and sipping is supposed to help traction. I would not hesitate to try the 3s....I did. Sorry I have no direct comparison between the 2s and 3s.

I had a set of PR3's installed last year in Newfoundland. I ride mainly two up and wanted to try another tire manufacturer. They are in my opinion a great tire,espicially on wet roads and in heavey rain, although they are a tad noisy.....the front one anyways. I didn't hear of the "B" rated rear tire until after they were installed, but, while riding two up and having a Bushtec trailer in tow, I got just over 15K on the rear. The front tire is still on and looks great with 18K. I had to replace the rear in Iowa while on a road trip, and the only make I could find was a Dunlop (roadmaster?)....we'll see how that one performs. A set of PR2's will be installed over the winter to be ready for next season's riding

I just put a PR2 rear on my R 1100 R. Had several sets on my R 1100 RT.

Go OK mileage but I'm a quick start/stop kind of guy so I don't expect exceptional mileage.

SW MotoTire ++++++++

I currently have PR 2's on my 1100R. Handling and wear seem to be excellent. I have about 4K on them now. I do notice a rumble from the rear during low speed turns, such as in a parking lot. It is not getting any worse and I don't notice it at all on the road.

My understanding that the PR 2's are discontinued?

I was skeptical on the PR3 becasue I had the PR2's and never really liked them. My biggest issue with the PR-2 was the un settled feeling into turns...the tires would occasionally slip a bit. Never felt really secure.....but with all the rave of the PR-3 I decided to give them a try. I had the PR-3 on my GT and now they are on my FJR. Great tires! They have an improved grip for certain ove the PR-2's, better wear as well. While I think the Bridgestone BT023 was a grippier tire, the added wear of the PR-3 makes it a smarter choice...mainly becasue the price has closed in a bit. Personally I hated the PR-2 so to me it a no brainer, PR-3 all the way! Otherwise I would recomend a Bridgestone (my regular preffered tire)

Archived