IGNORED

Low Cost Tires, advice?

Twinsig

Paul Mihalka

Going around all the smart remarks, I have not read anything bad and a lot of good about Shinko Raven tires. I have not tried them because they don't fit my R1200GS.

Motorcycle Superstore 170/60-17 rear $107.99

PS edit: R1150RT or 2012 R1200RT? 180/55-17 $113.99.

BarrieSalvanda

Hi There,

I ran the Shinko tires on my R1150RT,good grip wet/dry + lasted.Cost wise here you get two Shinko Tires against one from big name brands.

Barrie Salvanda.

Yeah i noticed the shinkos and may give em a try.

My budget is real tight.

And.......sometimes it's difficult to type correct with this Droid. It's my only internet source. Private school isn't cheap these days (my budget issues) but we all have different priorities huh...

I just wish i had the time and resources to check the forums for more typos

Another vote here for Shinko which bought the technology and moulds from Yokohama, a brand previously well known (in Australia, at least) for tyre longevity.

Shinko hands down.

I've ran the Ravens on a Bandit 1200, SV650, R1150R, and FJR and they simply work great. Good grip usually last 10,000 or more miles, and no funky handling issues.

I've tried the Shinko Verge on the last two bikes I've had the FJR and the FZ6 and they also work/worked really good. They seem to have better turn in and slightly better grip than the Ravens but I was getting the same mileage out of them.

I've stuck with the Michelins. On my 3rd set with 10k plus each set. This last go around I did look at the Shinkos because of the cost. Saw some reviews talking about tread separation etc. Anyway, I decided to shell the couple extra dollars for Michelins. As someone mentioned earlier, tires are the last place I want to skimp or experiment. Ultimately that made my decision.

Every tire is going to have issues. The PR3s had a few cases of failures early on but that cleared up quickly. I've never had a tread failure on my Shinkos but then again I've never had a tread separation on any tire in around 300k miles.

I'd imagine that they don't fail at any greater rate than any other mass produced tire out there.

Paul Mihalka

The Shinko 705 bias ply GS style tire had tread separation problems. Shinko switched to the 705 radial and no more problems. I've ridden them.

Shinko hands down.

I've ran the Ravens on a Bandit 1200, SV650, R1150R, and FJR and they simply work great. Good grip usually last 10,000 or more miles, and no funky handling issues.

I've tried the Shinko Verge on the last two bikes I've had the FJR and the FZ6 and they also work/worked really good. They seem to have better turn in and slightly better grip than the Ravens but I was getting the same mileage out of them.

I've been happy with 4 rears and two fronts using the Shinko Ravens

As I understand it someone went to Japan and bought the Yokohama motorcycle tire factory and tires and took it back to Korea. So the Shinkos are Yokohamas Maybe?? Anyway I was surprized and pleased with my first Ravens and I am on set number 3. They are as good as any tire I have tried for longevity and the cost for the first set was unbelievably low at $135. The low side? somewhat noisy at times and grooved roads make front tires feel funny at times.

i like my avon storms on my r1100rt. Just got to keep a close eye on air pressure. I neglected that on the first set. I had needless to say front started getting flat spots. Put on a 2nd set and so far i have had 0 issues been on storms sense. They came out with a storm 2 now. I have not tried but they say 17% more miles. Been getting 10-12k dont think i need any new tires until next year. have owned it for close to 7 years. Bought the bike changed over to avon the first year i had it and been avon sense. The tires dont really lose pressure. my bikes has always been kinda small compared to this rt. i had the bad habit of only checking air at the start of the season. i quickly learned... anyway Z rated tire they feel really good around turns and do a decent job during rain if you get stuck in one. safety first dont go cheap. get quality you only have 2 between you and the road get good ones.

A while back I put on a set of Continental Road Attacks. I don't remember which, but either the front or back was made in Korea, the other one in Germany.

I loved them. Nothing wrong with Korean manufacturing.

A lot of good stuff is made in Korea. Well except a real Martial Art. :/:grin:

terryofperry

Polo my friend:

"Though there are many paths At the foot of the mountain,

All those who reach the top

See the same moon."

All good natured ribbing.

Terry

Shinko ravens a good choice

A Chinese motorcycle to match a good choice? [/quote

:rofl:

They're not made in China but don't let that stop you from hating on them. Have you ever ridden on a set?

Yeeha! Stephen

I too have been one of the Shinko faithful, running through 5 or 6 sets of the Ravens' already.

But... I had one fail this summer and leave me stranded in Big Bend Texas.

I still had a brand new set at home, and I've been running them on local rides all summer.

Now that fall season is here and the rides will become longer, that creepy feeling in my gut has chased me to PR-3's for the time being.

May come back, but only time will tell.

Read about it in our club newsletter titled "Kindness of Strangers"

http://bmwdfw.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1204.pdf

Down the road boys!

• 1 month later...

After three sets of Shinko Ravens, I'm done. These dimples and several bubbles appeared on the front tire after about 6k miles. Made for a bit of a scary ride home. After sending these pics,and further evidence I had destroyed the tire, Motorcycle Superstore refunded 100% of the purchase price. Good on them, but ruining a weekend ride by discovering this 200+ miles from home made for a less than relaxing return trip.

2012-10-01%252010.48.59.jpg

Polo my friend:

"Though there are many paths At the foot of the mountain,

All those who reach the top

See the same moon."

All good natured ribbing.

Terry

I had not visited this thread since I posted, but yes Terry, all in good fun.

Just picked up a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2s for my 2007 R1200RT for $275.00 with free shipping from Competition Accessories.

Mike Kane

On my return from Denver after buying a bike to replace my totaled 03 R1150RT, I stopped in Goodland, KS. I was hoping to fnd some gloves to replace the ones I had.

I found and guy (Bobby) on a Honda Aspencade with a bald rear tire. He had no luck at the shop we were at so he decided to limp to Denver where he would have more options. He only had 1500 miles on his Shinko. I hope he made it to Denver then onto Utah. He was headed out for some National Guard training and was loaded down but he was riding solo. I can't believe his ruck and saddle bags would have weighted more than 250 lbs.

Archived