IGNORED

After Market Tire Pressure Monitors

Runnor

Does anyone have a recommendation/experience with after market tire pressure monitors? I purchased my 2010RT used, and the previous owner had installed a TireGard monitor with a key fob display that he Velcro-ed to the handlebar. Last week it fell off while riding in town and before I could get back to the intersection where it fell off, another car had totally smashed it.

I've gotten accustomed to having the tire pressure info at my fingertips, and would like to have another one, but don't know which one to get.

Any suggestions?

John Rector

Why not replace the TireGard? They are approximately $160.

I've got one, and I keep the receiver (fob) attched to my jacket zipper. They seem to be accurate to about .5 psi.

Paul Mihalka

John, the only thing you were missing is a safety string that attaches the Tiregard display somewhere if it pops of the Velcro. I am very happy with mine. Just replaced the wheel unit batteries as preventive maintenance, may be 25 cents each.

Go for metal valve stems.

If you like the look do external sensors, otherwise go internal.

Consider battery life and the replacement.

How weather tight.

Happy hunting!

Pretty much a "metal valve stem" is all that can be mounted on the R1200RT front wheel.

Pretty much it will be an "external sensor," too. You'll have clearance problems in all liklihood.

I have the TireGuard on my 05 RT. I have it held to the bars with two heavy duty rubber bands (actually hair bands) and attached to the bike with a lanyard. I can't use Velcro because I have the little rain-suit on it and Velcro won't stick. I worked a freezer plastic bag onto it under the rain-suit so if I forget and leave it on the bike and it gets wet, it's less likely to go bad.

Why? Because I left the previous one on the bike while I left if for service. The shop left the bike outside and it got rained on. It sort of recovered but only part of the display was visible after that. Got a new one.

The stem cap on the front wheel clears the brakes just fine. I had a metal stem put on the rear wheel when I had the tire replaced. All is well. I just take the fob off the bike whenever I'm leaving it out. Just as I also remove the GPS.

Very happy with it.

I will post a picture tomorrow. :grin:

Roy

Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead with another TireGard. I had no luck talking to anyone at TireGard about just replacing the key fob monitor, so I guess I'll just have to buy another new unit. Looks like I just need a better way to mount the monitor / keyfob. Thanks for all the ideas.

John

Try emailing the folks at Big Bike Parts. They are the distributor. When one of my transmitters stopped working they issued an RMA and replaced the entire kit at no charge.

malcolmblalock

The wheel sensors are tied to a specific receiver (key fob thing) via different frequencies. Therefore, if any part goes bad, everything needs to be replaced. If a wheel sensor is taken off one bike and put onto another, it will not work.

I know they will replace defective or parts that go bad. I also know they will not replace those that have been damaged by force (dropping, crushing, etc or moisture.

As promised, here is a photo of the fob mounted on the left handlebar.

IMG_1054.JPG

Interesting that it shows 30 lbs in the front tire. I'll be adding air before my next ride. It calls for 32-36 lbs. :dopeslap:

IMG_1052.JPG

The lanyard goes to the wire attached to the back of my GPS which is mounted on the brake reservoir directly above it. :thumbsup:

Roy :grin:

Roy, thanks for the pics. I'll need a better way to keep the new one from falling off, your idea would be better than my velcro plan. Also like the way you noted the recommended tire pressures. As often as I check the unit, I'm always asking myself what the front and back should be.

John

Paul Mihalka

"Dual Lock is my friend"

Only reason against Dual Lock is that you want to take the display of when washing the bike or for heavy rain, and with Dual Lock some times the glue lets go before the lock releases.

I have found that to be true on pliable material, but quite solid on non-porous materials.

I first saw it used on my headlamp protector, and used it for my V1 on my BMR shelf - no problemo.

However, when I tried to mount small electronics on a perforated piece of sheet metal at work, it fell off in a week.

Archived