IGNORED

rim replacement?

kmac

On another thread I started about my tire choices someone mentioned that I should swap to a latter 17" rear wheel.

I have a 1996 R1100RT with the 18" rear wheel.

I thought the latter bikes with the 17" rear wheel had the brake rotor assembly attached to the rim where my 18" has all of the brake assembly attached to the final drive hub.

Is it possible to use a latter wheel on my early bike?

If so, what years will work and do they have a different amount of spokes that look different?

Will the front wheel interchange as well?

Why does BMW make their wheels out of butter?

I have bent my front rim twice now at the lip, flatspotted, and now while I was spin balancing the front wheel we noticed it was bent side to side as well.

I have alot of miles on street and dirt bikes and have only bent 2 dirt bike rims in my life and both of those were crazy hard rock hits on BIG rocks. This is a street bike, I am not jumping it over triples.....

Paul Mihalka

For the R1100RT the 17" wheel that you can mount is not from the R1150 but from '99-on K1200LT or K1200RS. They are a straight bolt-on. It will look different from the front wheel. You will need the wheel bolts from K bike, they are shorter. It is a blessing to have the choice of 17" tires. Tire size used is 170/60-17.

Thanks guys. I will keep my eyes open for a deal on one.

How about the front? Will only the 1996 3 spoke style wheel fit my bike, or are there other yr/mk/mdl that will interchange?

I care less about matching the front and rear wheels that just having options, my front is bent pretty badly, still usable, but bent.

Are there any years that are stronger?

Archived