IGNORED

McCuff Gas Fill

GoldenK9

Anyone out there in Beemer land ever use or know about the "As seen on TV" item endorsed by Mr. Orange County Chopper? I bought 2, one for our hard to fill car and one for our '05 R1200RT. I'd like to hear if anyone has had difficulties with this thing on their bike.

I've used it 3 or 4 times and each time gas blows out all over the tank cover. On our car, it doesn't stay in position. I know these Calif. gas nozzles are a pain in the backside in the first place, but

I don't think that is the problem, because on their ad it seems to work. The other thing is I can't seem to locate this company or business from any of its 2 addresses or phone numbers. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've got one that I've used for about a year (motorcycle, only) and don't have any problems with spillage.

I orient the side with the "flat" to allow an air gap / vent (with it pointing to me, so that I can see any issues with excess fuel).

I don't use the "full" flow - I typically have the lever depressed about 1/2 way to modulate the fuel delivery flow, ending up with just minimal flow at the end of the fill. I let the auto cutoff actuate, wait ~ 10 seconds, then squeeze a bit more in.

Fuel level in the tank at that point is typically ~ 1/2 inch above the bottom of the fill pipe - I don't try to "really top it off".

Taking advice from someone who does weird overpriced bikes that make better yard art than actual riding devices and has a body apparently derived from steroid use was your first error........

Taking advice from someone who does weird overpriced bikes that make better yard art than actual riding devices and has a body apparently derived from steroid use was your first error........

:rofl::rofl:

Tried one for my 2011 R1200RT. Doesn't work becasue the RT's filler cap has a long nose that fits down into the filler neck when the cap is closed, but sticks out over the filler when open. The cap only opens a little past 90 degrees so you can't get it out of the way. The McCuff won't fit in. I considered trying to modify it, or send it back, but my dog got a hold of it and chewed some chunks off it. Clearly she is smarter than me and knows a good toy when she sees one.

On the bright side, the EPA has ruled that gas nozzles will no longer be required to have those wonderful vapor recovery devices. Don't know when they will go away, of if states (like California) can overrule that, but we can hope for the best.

pete

JW,

Thanks for your input. Not sure where you live but here in California with all of our restrictions on fuel filling, it is almost impossible to find a station with a nozzle that allows for

"slow" filling, even on the 1st notch. Some pumps, when you squeeze the handle it takes quite a bit of pull to start the flow, and then

it still comes out quite fast. You have intrigued me with your "air

gap"/flat side usage. According to the video and the instructions,

the McCuff should sit flush on the filler neck, and the hole at the end of the nozzle should be exposed below the McCuff. I'll try your way next time and see what happens. Bottom line, I still can't find any way to reach the company for help???

Ken

I thought of giving them to my Golden Retriever, Halle, because they

do resemble her Kong toys. I'm not familiar with this hose you speak of. I have a '05 model and it is not there and the McCuff fits just fine. Only downside is you have to hold the nozzle while

you fill and with some of our pumps it's a very awkward and uncomfortable position. It would sure be nice to see those recovery systems go away here, but knowing California (native) and Gov. Moonbeam, we'll probably get some other system that is not designed for use in motorcycles.

Ken

In your first reply you said you orient the flat side towards you, etc. That's the way I have always filled my bike, only without the McCuff. I thought that's what the McCuff was supposed to eliminate?

Ken

In your first reply you said you orient the flat side towards you, etc. That's the way I have always filled my bike, only without the McCuff.
The McCuff has a flat side - it's not completely round. That's the side toward you. Not the flat side of the hose handle (which it sounds like you mean).

That's true, nbooth, but I was told it won't take effect here until 2014 or 2015. Also, in California, pumps are supposed to pump so many gallons a minute (can't remember number, but it's high) to prevent prolonged chance of fumes escaping into the atmosphere. For a motorcycle, boat, and even some cars, it's way too fast even on the slowest position. It's all politics!

:S The two I bought are both round, no flat spots. I won't mention the dealer that sold them to me, but those are the only ones he got from McCuff and were told the only reason for the flat spot is the filler lid on some motorcycles gets in the way. Not so on my R1200RT. No wonder he gave me a substantial discount! :dopeslap:
:S The two I bought are both round, no flat spots. I won't mention the dealer that sold them to me, but those are the only ones he got from McCuff and were told the only reason for the flat spot is the filler lid on some motorcycles gets in the way. Not so on my R1200RT. No wonder he gave me a substantial discount! :dopeslap:
I bought mine recently and it had the flat side. It's part # WPS 57-9992 if that helps. It's their "Sport" version which is made for bikes that have a flip up filler cap (like the R2100RT). Their other model is the full round one where there's no cap to get in the way.

Hey There Digger,

I bought mine at a very reputable BMW independent repair facility.

They only had, and only had received, the round ones. I asked

about the flat sided "Sport" version and was told they ordered

them, but only had received the round ones. There is no

interference with the flip up cap on my bike, just makes it a

little awkward sometimes.

Do YOU know how to get hold of these folks? I keep running into

dead ends. Thanks,

KennyJ

• 1 month later...

As a follow-up I found out my problem was operator malfunction. You have to make sure the nozzle end goes down through the small flange area at the bottom of the filler neck (I wasn't!). When I

discovered that, it worked just fine. Also being the round model

didn't interfere with the filler lid or vice versa. Case Closed.

I found the McCuff "Sport" (the one with the flat side) to be almost worthless. In fact my golden retriever found it to be an excellent chew toy. With nothing to lose, I used a hacksaw to cut a slab off the flat side for more clearance for the filler cap, and that seems like it may work better. Next fill-up I'll try it.

pete

'11 R1200RT, "Bea", Thunder Gray

'01 Golden Retriever, "Tracey", Golden/Gray

Archived