IGNORED

Is there a GPS that isn't *#@%$%#?

Bill_Walker

The last map update available for my Navigator II (aka Garmin 2610) was 2008, and the touchscreen is getting a little erratic. I'm beginning to think about getting a new GPS. I went to the TomTom web site, and the TomTom Rider is no longer listed, so that's out. I went to Garmin and looked at their options. And then I went to zumoforums.com and looked at what they had to say about the zumo 660, which is basically that they feel like unpaid involuntary beta testers for Garmin's crappy firmware. I found a couple of reviews of the new zumo 350LM, and users reported software crashes (i.e., system lockups that require turning the power off and on again to recover) right from the start. One would think that a company that makes GPS systems for aviation would know how to produce software that doesn't crash. I can't recall my Nav II EVER crashing.

The only other motorcycle GPS I've seen is from Teletype, of all people.

Further, I sort of wonder if getting a new GPS is going to require me to get a new Autocom. I've got a Pro-7-Sport connecting my GPS, radar detector, bike-to-bike radio and iPod. Since the newer GPSs connect with a stereo lead instead of mono (and a two-way lead for those that will connect to a cell phone), I might have spring for a whole new setup. This is looking expensive!

I've been pleased with a Garmin Nüvi that I picked up on Amazon last year for $75. No, it's not waterproof, but if it's threatening rain, I just put the thing away, or put a baggie over it. The screen could be brighter (and I suspect that newer models are), but it works well even with gloves.

P1030581.JPG

Bill

I just purchased the Zumo660.

Reason being that it has been around for a long time and is probably the most matured device for that reason.

I am fairly convinced that the crashes some of the guys are seeing is due to the unit getting a bad connection with the holder.

Despite that the fingers are gold plated and under spring tension, these would have a limited lifespan. Spring tension will get weaker after a while, slight corrosion or muck build up (even on gold plated fingers) and possible connection breakage internally to the fingers due to constant vibration and movement, would cause intermittent connections and confusing the unit to the point of a system crash.

If cleaning the contacts doesn't fix it then replacing the mounting base would be the way to go.

I run mine via Bluetooth to my SRC integrated Comms.

It gives me stereo music, phone calls and Caller ID plus my phone book of my iPhone 3GS and comms to my wifes Scala Rider Q2.

Honestly, despite some of the glitches, there is just nothing out there on the market that can compete with the Zumo660/665 at this stage.

The LM350 is an overpriced dummed down back-step.

I've got the 550 and the only thing I'd replace it with the NUVI 14xx that I have in my Mustang. It's a car unit but I could get it to work just as well other than waterproofing.

I've been through 1 550 that got a glitchy screen (I think dirt got between the case and screen causing it to think something was pushing on the screen constantly) and sent it back to Garmin and they shipped me a Re-furb unit for 150 dollars.

I've been pleased with a Garmin Nüvi that I picked up on Amazon last year for $75. No, it's not waterproof, but if it's threatening rain, I just put the thing away, or put a baggie over it. The screen could be brighter (and I suspect that newer models are), but it works well even with gloves.

P1030581.JPG

What mount did you use? I've got this in my truck and have thought about using it but the suction cup mount definitely not ideal.

Here you go for a mount and case............

371833724_o.jpg

I have a similar one for my Magellan and it works fine. My mount is a bit different. Keeps unit dry in heavy rain, touch screen works ok through window. Have to un zip and turn on to start, only gripe.

On Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-NUVI-4-3-GPS-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-/320564594178

They went up a buck since last year, Veryaffordable and it works.

malcolmblalock

I still think the Streetpilot 2720 is the best GPS out there. Runs the NT maps (speak street names), has much more customization than any Zumo, waterproof. If it had an internal battery, it would be perfect IMO.

Also happens to be cheap when you can find one.

I still think the Streetpilot 2720 is the best GPS out there. Runs the NT maps (speak street names), has much more customization than any Zumo, waterproof. If it had an internal battery, it would be perfect IMO.

+1

I had a 2610 that was great until the maps got to the point that they were outdated enough to give me problems. The 2720 is was the last version in that lineage of GPS. I also wish it had an internal battery, but overall they were great units.

I ended up getting a 276c that was included when I bought my GS. It is also a great GPS that has almost a cult following with the adventure touring crowd. Its downfall being that it relies on Garmin's proprietory ($$$) memory cards, and that it doesn't have a touch screen. That being said, I will never replace it with any of the newer Zumo's.....especailly one of the lower end ones. It seems that Garmin keeps stripping out more and more customization options with each newer version. When it comes time to replace it I will either hunt down a 2720 or start looking at marine GPS's.

The 2720 is was the last version in that lineage of GPS.

I'll take that back.......Garmin also made a 2730 and a 2820, with the the 2820 being the creme of the crop that included XM, traffic, MP3, and bluetooth capabilities. I believe all 3 units can be updated to the newer maps.

This might help

Comparison

This is looking expensive!

It IS!!

I'm on my 4th Garmin unit (Zumo 660) and other than the sticker shock I've not had any problems. I had 2 goals when I started looking for a new unit (former was a 2820). I wanted to go all Bluetooth and I wanted to minimize the amount of "stuff" I was using. My previous setup was gps, radar detector, cell phone, ipod and Autocom, all wired of course. With the 660 I've removed the the ipod and I decided to try to behave, so I also removed the radar unit :grin:. The Zumo is stereo BT and has an SD card slot and will take a 32Gb chip which holds all my music and more. I went with Sena BT for com and couldn't be happier so the Autocom is gone now too. The Zumo acts as a bridge for my phone so music, phone and gps direction all come from Zumo. I haven't encountered any reliability issues with the Zumo to date (knocking on wood).

The biggest downside to all things Garmin (if you don't count the price), is the arcane, kludgy, moronic, pedantic, paranoid, DOS inspired, registration process. Yes it's that bad. For that reason alone I hope someone comes along to provide some competition to Garmin. When the time comes to replace the Zumo I'll be looking hard and long at alternatives.

I suppose I've been lucky, 'cus no issues whatsoever with my Zumo 550 purchased new 2007 nor SP2720 purchased new long before that nor SP2730 purchased used here (hi Bud :wave:). All are currently in service. I bought a 2nd Zumo 550 recently on ADV at a great price which has lifetime maps and a 2nd SP2720 on the 'Bay a few days ago for very cheap as a back up (yeah, I like the older units). Hey Bill, there's an SP2720 advertised for very cheap on LA area C-L.

Keith,

I have 2 of the 2730's.

Waterproof.

Connects to XM and w/all other stuff thru Autocom pretty ez.

Can add digital music/books.

Less vibration prone than the 2820.

Would love to find another refurbished sale like I did a few years ago but not likely.

I don't know, maybe I'm cheap. My Iphone with the free Mapquest app gives me a moving map GPS with progressive instructions, and even the built in Google map app gives you a moving map with a magenta line. It's not quite as user friendly or easy to see as a dedicated Garmin unit but it works well enough. I use that as my bike GPS, using an Iphone mount.

There is an issue with several Garmin models that have user replaceable batteries that is often overlooked- weak spring contacts for the battery. Several times I have "fixed" friends Garmin's that kept crashing simply by opening the battery compartment and bending the battery connection springs for firmer contact. If you have a Garmin with an accessible battery and it crashes this is the FIRST thing you ought to suspect.

I also would like to see some competition for them- they're built cheaply with too little memory on many models and a pita to update, register, etc.

And only recently have the figured out how build passable satellite receivers- many issues with early models on days with a lot of cloud cover or humidity. Certainly would not trust my life to one- its not military or commercial grade gear - a backup nav means is required. If you use gps offshore on a boat you've got no business being out there unless you can also get around with only a compass or in pinch, your knowledge of local sea states. Same applies to extreme remote offroad gps use...

Re the stereo/mono thing- most such stuff is easily handled by an adapter that puts both stereo channels back to a mono plug so its not likely to be an issue for a hard wire connection.

Here you go for a mount and case............

371833724_o.jpg

I have something like it, and didn't like it. Also, instead of going directly from the battery - my "friends" spliced the usb charger in the wiring - but, it didn't have enough juice and wouldn't charge the unit :mad:

Bought a 2720??? on ebay - No bluetooth, no XM, No MP3 player - but it works well and I have been able to update the maps on it!!!

IF anyone wants the case - I will give them a good deal.

" my "friends" spliced the usb charger in the wiring - but, it didn't have enough juice and wouldn't charge the unit"

You can pick up a 12vdc usb connector on Amazon that could be spliced in. But I think I'd just use the Garmin car charger instead.

-----

My 2730 units have been bulletproof! I have had the zumo 550 a few times and both had issues. I now have a zumo 665 and no issues but its still very very new...if the 665 doesnt hold up then I am going to hunt down another 2730!

Garmin also made a 2730 and a 2820, with the the 2820 being the creme of the crop that included XM, traffic, MP3, and bluetooth capabilities. I believe all 3 units can be updated to the newer maps.

Yes, but for how long?

+1

I had a 2610 that was great until the maps got to the point that they were outdated enough to give me problems. The 2720 is was the last version in that lineage of GPS. I also wish it had an internal battery, but overall they were great units.

I ended up getting a 276c that was included when I bought my GS. It is also a great GPS that has almost a cult following with the adventure touring crowd. Its downfall being that it relies on Garmin's proprietory ($$$) memory cards, and that it doesn't have a touch screen. That being said, I will never replace it with any of the newer Zumo's.....especailly one of the lower end ones. It seems that Garmin keeps stripping out more and more customization options with each newer version. When it comes time to replace it I will either hunt down a 2720 or start looking at marine GPS's.

Just FYI - 2 gig cards are available. I got mine from a guy on the advrider board. I use it on my adventure/dirt bike (easier to see with these oldish eyes). I use the 2820 on the RT.

I have an "old" Garmin 2720 that a friend gifted to me and I use it on the bike and in the cage.

It is an older unit and bulletproof. Both he and I ever had any type of issue with it. I recently updated the maps in it and have a "lifetime" maps subscription. No software updates for it, just lifetime maps. Already updated them 4 times :thumbsup:

Keith,

I have 2 of the 2730's.

Waterproof.

Connects to XM and w/all other stuff thru Autocom pretty ez.

Can add digital music/books.

Less vibration prone than the 2820.

Would love to find another refurbished sale like I did a few years ago but not likely.

Some early 2620's with spinning drives were vibration-prone. The 2820 was entirely solid-state like the the 2720 and 2730 and NavIII.

John

Bill,

You are not trying to use a cellphone on the bike at the current time

There should not be any fundamental problem in plugging a Zumo 660 into a Pro-M7.

You can either use the standard 4-pole plug on the end of the mount harness into the music input or the Phone input (although the sound might be into one ear only with the latter). There is a also a standard 3-pole stereo socket on the side of the unit hidden under a rubber cover.

There are so many people switching to bluetooth nowadays that you might well find a Super Pro Avi or newer Super-Pro Remote on Fleabay.

There is still nothing to beat radio's for Bike-to-Bike communication in a group unless ALL USERS have precisely the same BT system.

In my club so many are using BT that bike-to-bike radio comms seem to have died a death.

The Zumo 660 & 665 are ridiculously expensive, but once you’ve had one it’s hard to give up all the nice features and nifty integration, for example with an intercom system and/or Bluetooth phone and other devices.

I too follow the Zumo forums and I think a lot of the issues are brought on by the user. Not following update instructions, using 45¢ memory cards, rouge map files, etc. And feature gripes. Just like most any gadget these days, you’ve got to keep up a bit on the news, tips and tricks; then you will be fine. And just like any product, the forums are rarely full of people posting about having no problems.

I update the software on our 660 when new comes out, and the life-time maps feature is the bargain of the century.

Sure it has it’s glitches from time to time, but what doesn’t these days? So does my phone, PC, laptop, Blue Ray player, LCD TV, printer, etc, etc.

Archived