IGNORED

Looking for some education on bike tires

Andrew Falanga

Andrew Falanga

I have a 96 RT. The front tire is 120/70 ZR 17 and the rear 160/60 ZR18. I'm looking on some tire sales sites and there are 120/70, 120/70 17 and 120/70 ZR17 (for example). What are the difference between these three? Is it part of the size? Is it something different?

120/70 ZR 17

120 - tire width

/70 - aspect ratio; the tire height is 70% of the width

Z - Speed rating Z, over 149 mph

R - Radial construction

17 - wheel size

120/70 is meaningless without indicating the wheel that it fits on. 120/70 17 is most likely the same ZR spec but you'd have to look up the brand and model tire to verify that it is a radial tire and the speed rating.

You can also go to some of the motorcycle tire manufacturers sites and get more info. Dunlop with give you the specific sizes. I was looking at one line and then considering another. the difference between the 180/55 and 190/50 of those two tires was only 4 mm width and the 190 was a small fraction lower. Comparing the 180/55 to another 190/55 of another model showed about 12 mm difference width. Size is a general guide but the tire maker can give you better info as to the actually size of the tire, suggested rims, workable rims and such. They will also outline the spectrum of use the tire was designed for.

Good luck

NCS

Let me rephrase that; "170/60-17 not easy to find" especially with some of the new model tires available (Metzler Z8 as an example). What you said is what I thought as well, but I've now had two-2 separte shops (not BMW) make the suggestion so I can get into the new Z8's.

When looking on the Metzeler site, it does list the Z8 in your desired size. Another idea is do like they did on the KRS in 2002. They offered the 5 inch rim for the 170/60 and the 5.5 for the 180/55. So shop around for a used rim. For the wider rim and tire they added a small spacer between wheel and mounting point. You most likely could check with Max or A&S and get the part number for that.

For the 170/60

Check

http://discount-motorcycletires.com/inc/sdetail/2734

158 isn't a bad price. I know when I have ordered from them, they arrived in 3 days.

NCS

It was touched on earlier, but most of the time even though the website you are pricing at shows a 120/70 17 it will in fact end up being a 120/70 ZR17 when you get it. Unless it is specified a VR or other for different speed ratings are out there but not as common.

The other poster who said that the 170/60 17 is hard to find is NOT that hard in my opinion, try it in an 18" rim like I have on my oldie RT you have way less choices that ANY 17" rim tire size.

Andrew Falanga

Thanks everyone. Hopefully, using this information, I'll be able to find tires at a lesser cost than I usually get from my local BMW dealer.

Michelin PR3s and Pirelli Angels are both available in your size from pretty much any website selling motorcycle tires. Revzilla & Motorcycle Superstore both have them in your sizes. (About $130 for the rear, and $125 for the front on RevZ right now...)

Archived