IGNORED

Experience with RaceTech?

Groanup

I'm in need of new suspenders for my RT. I can go the route of Ohlins, Wilbers, Works, etc, but I'm trying to find a less expensive solution if possible.

I heard about Race Tech in another thread here and checked out their site HERE. They say they will revalve the OEM shocks.

Does anyone have, or know somebody who's had experience with this company and their product?

If so , I'd like to hear about it. Is it effective? Can I keep the ESA? Price difference?

TIA

Race Tech is VERY well known. I used their Shock Clock device while testing RT suspension for MCN - http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnsuspension.pdf - I had "Gold Valve Emulators" on my Sportster and they made a world of difference.

Remember this about suspension - it's like your HVAC system. Whoever sets it up is FAR more important than what brand you choose. So get someone who knows what they're doing - spend time researching that more than the brand of hardware.

-MKL

My suggestion would be to ask around your local club racing scene, and find out who does the most work for the guys and gals who race. Whatever brand that person uses, go with that. And talk to them to see if they can price match or get close to whatever you could get on line.

I have a guy locally who does my shock work and refreshes the suspension on my track bike. Having someone local to me who I can ask question to, and take stuff back to have it tweaked is worth much more than any mail-order discounts I could get through the internet.

Thanks for the responses.

So far I guess the answer is, Nobody has any experience with Race Tech's revalving of stock shocks.

I'm seriously considering giving Ted Porter a call, but I want to see if there is anything I can do more local. Maybe even save a little money while I'm at it. RaceTech is only an hour away from me so I will give them a call as well.

Anyway, I have time since I've got a ways to go as far as saving my pennies...

I don't race, and have never done a track day, though if I could afford it, it sounds like a real learning experience. I wouldn't know where to go for my "local club racing scene", but thanks for that idea. I'll keep it in mind.

If RaceTech is only an hour away, it's kind of a no-brainer to give them a visit. If they are that close, you can probably work with them to tune the shocks to your weight and preferences, and as Moshe writes, proper setup is extremely important.

My only experience with them is with installing RT emulators in traditional telescopic forks. While this is not directly comparable with your question, the before/after difference was quite noticeable; specifically with the emulators, the front wheel tracked much better over bumpy turns.

I wouldn't know where to go for my "local club racing scene", but thanks for that idea. I'll keep it in mind.

From Pasadena, that would be Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA (north of Lancaster on the 14).

I don't have personal experience with RaceTech revalving (although I did put their Gold Valves in my V-Strom), but I can say from experience that Ohlins shocks on the RT are really, really nice.

I have used Race Tech on some MX bike stuff, but never on a BMW.

They do great work and are very reliable on what I have used them for, but for MX stuff my favorite is ENZO, but I doubt they do anything BMW.

I would not hestitate to talk to them and try the revalve route over the big money Ohlins route, but you know that big money Ohlins route is a GREAT route.

It would suck top spend $500 on revalving and not be happy then have to spend another $1500 to make it right.

It would suck top spend $500 on revalving and not be happy then have to spend another $1500 to make it right.

I sure can't argue with that...

This is exactly the reason for this thread. I was hoping somebody had done it and could give me some good news.

I'm not real big on being a guinea pig... If I had that much money sitting around doing nothing, I'd be more willing.

Sorry I can not be of more help there Don.

I have not used anyone for RT suspension....can't afford it but I need it.

Guinea pigs....calling all guinea pigs....

I guess I should have added that I did add the valve emulators to the forks of my DR-650, as well as changing the shim stack and rebuilding the rear shock using a Race Tech kit. I don't have any experience with Race Tech's actual suspension components.

I was able to do everything I needed to do with the instructions and parts needed, although I did mess up on the shock the first time when I didn't put the final snap ring in the bottom. The bike hit a bump leaving my neighborhood and all the fluid blew out the bottom. I figured it out pretty quickly, and was able to fix the problem.

If they're local to you, by all means give them a go. As far as finding club racers, try searching for an organization on-line, or see if there's a local sport bike internet list you can lurk on for information.

This is exactly the reason for this thread. I was hoping somebody had done it and could give me some good news.

I'm not real big on being a guinea pig... If I had that much money sitting around doing nothing, I'd be more willing.

With RaceTech only an hour away, I would have no reservations whatsoever about being a guinea pig, you might even get special attention.

Thanks again for all the responses!

After reading them and talking with some people about it, I've pretty much made up my mind to give RaceTech a go. Hopefully before DVD.

I'll be sure to follow up after I've had the upgrade and ridden around with it for a while.

Call me "Guinea Pig"... ;)

Archived