IGNORED

Help me choose my next sticker!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

You may have seen this bike before, either in a ride tale or at a BMWST.com gathering:

2011-05-166-L.jpg

It's got a few stickers on it, but I'm looking to add another. I have a basic idea for it, but you can help me decide specifically what it will be.

The sticker will be based on the "Keep Calm and Carry On" meme. that link gives you the background story, and shows you some of the clever and not-so-clever variations that have evolved over the past few years. And now it's time for me to jump onto this silly populist bandwagon with one of these two moto-specific suggestions:

poweron-L.jpg

addthrottle-L.jpg

Which should it be? "POWER ON" keeps closer to the original wording, but is slightly vague; "ADD THROTTLE" deviates more from the original wording, but is more specific about how to get through pucker-inducing turns.

What's your take? Which way ought I go? Should I tweak the logo, maybe make it a BMW roundel or a Motoman?

If asking for a choice--- I would go with "power on" as it flows with the original intent of the message of "carry on" but, how much power is enough power? What would the reader infer? Bike power, rider power? nothing inferred here about carving a turn. As I see it the original poster seemed to infer a steady way, a goal or intent on getting something accomplished in the course of doing business for the war effort,lending it's foundation to the "Carry on" phrase from the royal navy when a salute was presented to a higher ranked officer and so the phrase was voiced to inflect "OK, thanks, get your job done now". It seems "RIDE ON" would echo those sediments to me. As in the life of a sailor, a rider would ride on along and get to his destination or business just as a sailor would in performing his duty to God and Country.

My thoughts.

Speaking of stickers......check out this gem Roger and I managed to find in Salida.

a7120c48a60d1c129ca9c5f595f854df.jpg

I'm not much of a sticker guy, but this one made the cut :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
If asking for a choice--- I would go with "power on" as it flows with the original intent of the message of "carry on" but, how much power is enough power? What would the reader infer? Bike power, rider power? nothing inferred here about carving a turn. As I see it the original poster seemed to infer a steady way, a goal or intent on getting something accomplished in the course of doing business for the war effort,lending it's foundation to the "Carry on" phrase from the royal navy when a salute was presented to a higher ranked officer and so the phrase was voiced to inflect "OK, thanks, get your job done now". It seems "RIDE ON" would echo those sediments to me. As in the life of a sailor, a rider would ride on along and get to his destination or business just as a sailor would in performing his duty to God and Country.

My thoughts.

Deep thoughts, man.

I guess the only thing that might infer a turn is the "Keep Calm" part, since one is rarely exhorted to keep calm in situations where keeping calm comes naturally (e.g. cruising straight and flat); if one is being advised to keep calm, then things have just gotten a bit dicey. After that, though, "power on" is indeed a bit inscrutable. That's why I was leaning toward the "Add Throttle" version, which was more specific. Like "Carry On," it's an instruction on what to do in order to see this dicey situation through safely.

"throttle up" always brings me back to the ~70 second mark of the Challenger Space shuttle. Ever since that happened, I always looked at every shuttle launch differently.

"POWER ON" keeps closer to the original wording, but is slightly vague;
Ambiguity is our friend. Too much in life is known and controlled. Nice to have something with just a bit of mystery.

Ride on!

I had that "Stupid Hurts" sticker on the dent on my harley tank after I hit the coyote and 100+ mph.

I used to think the Stupid Hurts part just meant that you bought a honda and that was stupid and it was gonna hurt when their horrible steering geometry on their CRs twitched on you at high speed and bucked you.

Archived