IGNORED

Protecting Helmet Visors

RSlacker

I wear an Arai RX-Q while I'm riding. It's got about 14,000 miles on it and I just recently switched over to a new visor, but I never realized how scratched up my old one was! The scratches aren't substantial, but when I'm riding at night there's pretty good glare from streetlights. I was wondering if anyone had any secrets for protecting a visor? I was thinking maybe getting some tear-offs for longer trips, just to prevent any damage from when I get bugs off after a trip, but then I wouldn't want something like that for commuting back and forth to college. Any ideas?

Joe Frickin' Friday

For my Shoei, I have a clear visor and a mirrored/tinted visor. The tinted is for daytime with good weather, the clear is for anything else.

I don't worry too much about protecting it during use; I'm pretty sure anything I put on it (e.g. tear-offs) to protect it is likely to compromise visual clarity. If you're track-riding and need to get rid of bugs in your visual field right now without parking the bike, then tear-offs are great, I suppose.

My clear visor sees very limited use; I don't go for pleasure cruises in crappy weather, and I rarely ride after dark. When I do, the clear visor seems to be in pretty good shape because it's so rarely used.

The tinted visor gets replaced every couple of years. Ain't cheap, but I like having clear vision.

If you ride at night a lot, you might consider having a separate visor just for night riding that doesn't get used for anything else; that way it should stay relatively scratch-free for a long time.

After every ride I wipe down my visor with Plexus plastic spray cleaner. It is a very mild polish and takes out those tiny swirls you talk about. When I ditch a helmet after five or so years, the visor typically is like new.

Since modern paints are actually plastic-based, it works wonders on the bike's painted surfaces as well. I always give the tank a good cleaning with Plexus before using a tank bag.

A face shield in use will get scratched and dull, no way about it. Careful cleaning helps, Plexus is good, most motorcycle shops have it. Now if you have more then one shield storing is very delicate. For the size shield of any full face helmet, I don't think there is anything better than Fernando's Helmet Visor Protector. http://www.motoequip.com/

If you have a shield that is wide (like my Nolan N43) and does not fit in Fernando's protector, my way is to wrap it first in plastic cling wrap and then place in a towel or something. That way any rubbing movement is on the cling wrap and not on the shield.

For the size shield of any full face helmet, I don't think there is anything better than Fernando's Helmet Visor Protector. http://www.motoequip.com/

Our Face Shield Protector is nylon-backed neoprene so that it not only helps protect your spare shield against scratches, but impacts as well from other things that might be stashed along with it in your saddlebag or tankbag.

Our Face Shield Protector is designed to fit the shields from full-face helmets. The shields from open-face helmets are too tall and will not fit.

I've pretty much gone back to using a clear shield full time with sunglasses during the day. It seems I'm inevitably slogging home on some two-lane at night after a longer than planned day of DS riding, and I hate stopping. One handed, the glasses come off and go in a pocket in one quick motion. But...

I'm wondering if anyone has seen or tried one of these, besides being a little pricey, looks like it may have possibilities.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-star-vortex-transistions-photochromatic-face-shield

I've gotten so I don't even clean the dang thing anymore (unless it's really obtuse). My face shield is filthy, and I don't pay any attention to it.

I used to wash and wax my car and the bike, spread armor-all, rain-x and Camp-dry all over everything. Life's too short for that kind of neurosis.

I apply Plexus with Dupont Sontara wipes. Those micro swirls are almost always a cause of wiping. The bag of 100 wipes that I got from Cee Bailey has lasted for 5 years now and I use them on all my clear plastics. There may be better or cheaper wipes, but I've had good luck with these.

Welcome to the board RSlacker :wave:

Watch out what materials you are using to wipe your visor, as a paper towel is more abrasive that you know. Diapers or micro fiber * cloths are terrific and easy to wash, but I've been known to ignore own advice and bring a dozen shop towels with me on a long trip. I buy them in bulk. Since i replace my visor every Spring I figure I can abuse it ;)

* Mod Edit: Michael *SageRider* is right. :dopeslap:

i-T5sJtxt-M.jpg

I like Plexus and have used it for the past 12 years.

A smooth visor allows water to wick away quickly. If you have any scratches in the visor the water gets caught and hangs up. I don't mind riding in rain, but I don't like diminished vision.

Bill, I like that idea, but the cost might stop me. I'm with you on the clear visor and sunglasses, although I've become fond of the semi reflective look. I need to look through it at night and find out if it's a problem. Thanks for the reminder. I also am hooked on helmets that have the retractable tinted visor. This N104 is fabulous.

I too use Motoequip's Face Sheild Protector.

i-tHFj9Jh-M.jpg

As a long standing Arai customer I can say the quality of their visors has sharply declined in the past few years.

The early Corsair's had very good visors but starting with later production models (like mine) something went horribly wrong and now they do scratch really easily.

As a birthday gift for my brother I restored his RX7GP to "as factory mint" conditions. Apart from plenty of good quality polish, it desperately needed a new visor since the original one was so scratched as to be nigh on unusable. Only time will tell if this new visor is built to a better standard.

I have to helmets I regularly use: an Arai Corsair and an OGK Kabuto FF5V. I treat them the same way, clean them the same way etc. However while the OGK visor is still spotless, the Arai one is quite scratched. I have had Arai helmets for over 20 years. Never seen this: it means there's something wrong with their bloody visors.

I have an Arai RX-Q in addition to other Arai helmets.

What works best for me, especially on long trips where packing space is a consideration, is the combination of Dupont Sontara Aerospace Window Wipes, and a microfiber cloth.

A wipe is kept in a ziplock bag and soaked with water. Wipe is used to clean the shield, and on most days, there is enough cleaning surface on one wipe as to be able to last all day, and sometimes 2 days. (Typically 500 to 1000 mile days.) The microfiber cloth is used after the wipe to dry the shield and prevent streaking from the water.

On an extended trip, I pack 1 wipe for each travel day and either one or two microfiber cloths. Normally I come back with plenty of wipes remaining.

I have found that when microfiber cloths are used for cleaning, it is virtually impossible to get all the bug pieces out of the cloth even after multiple washings. These bug pieces can scratch the visor if the same cloth is used again, hence, for me, the Sontara wipes.

I also use Plexus, but usually don't pack for trips.

I also use the Motoequip visor protectors for my extra (tinted / clear) visors.

I haven't liked a piece of plastic in front of my eyeglasses for the last 40 yrs or so. But I am very conscientious about setting up my windscreen to throw the wind (and bugs) over my head but put nothing in my line of vision, as per standard bike practice.

My suspicion is that the plastic shield adds substantially to the challenge of vision and that burden also increases fatigue.

(Vision in bright sunlight deserves deeper tech examination.)

Meguire's Plastx is remarkable as a "Goldilocks" (middle course) solution to cleaning windscreens and car headlights.

Ben

I wear an Arai RX-Q while I'm riding. It's got about 14,000 miles on it and I just recently switched over to a new visor, but I never realized how scratched up my old one was! The scratches aren't substantial, but when I'm riding at night there's pretty good glare from streetlights. I was wondering if anyone had any secrets for protecting a visor? I was thinking maybe getting some tear-offs for longer trips, just to prevent any damage from when I get bugs off after a trip, but then I wouldn't want something like that for commuting back and forth to college. Any ideas?

Wash with Plexus...store it when not in use in an old "tube" athletic sock in your case when it isn't on the helmet...On my 3rd Arai...helmet lasts 5 years and I get a new clear visor with it and I buy a tinted one at the same time. I commute to work in the dark and ride home in the light, so I switch visors daily. Haven't had any problems.

Hello Roadscholar, our constant riding friend has had one since March and it has become his favorite visor.

Thanks Tommy, I hadn't heard of them until Peter Egan mentioned it in his latest column, he liked it too.

Like Kathy mentioned, some (I would say most) paper products can scratch. My favortite cleaning method is to use eyeglass cleaner spray. I apply it liberally and let it soak a bit if possible. Soaking is difficult in low humidity situations. To wipe clean I use a cotton flour sack style dish towel.

I'll even use this method without removing my helmet. I carry a small spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner in my tank bag. Give the shield a good spritzing, loosen larger bug residue with your hand, spritz again and wipe clean with the a small piece of the flour sack which is also kept in my tank bag.

Another similar method that is good when traveling is to buy a box of the individual eyeglass cleaning wipes. One wipe is generally enough to clean the shield, but carry enough extras because you know that shortly after you clean the shield you will get smacked by a big juicy one right in the line of sight.

Periodically I will clean and remove small scratches with these Meguiar's products.

Bill, I like that idea, but the cost might stop me. I'm with you on the clear visor and sunglasses, although I've become fond of the semi reflective look. I need to look through it at night and find out if it's a problem. Thanks for the reminder. I also am hooked on helmets that have the retractable tinted visor. This N104 is fabulous.

The price would come down if others produce it, I see Bell trademarked the name but wonder if the technology is proprietary, I think more than one eyeglass maker uses it. Time will tell.

I disliked the N103 and sold it, heavy, noisy, and not terribly comfortable, still like the 102 better. My next helmet will probably be a Shuberth or XD4, but will try the 104 first, reviews are decent. Arai comfort is hard to beat though, have several Quantum II's and love'em.

+1 on the Bell transitions shield.

Got mine about a month ago, partly so that I could ride without my prescription shades.

It works very well, day and night. One benefit I didn't expect is that it reduces heat from the sunlight compared to a clear shield. (I guess any tinted shield does the same).

One downside is that the instructions recommend that you don't leave it in the sun for extended time when you aren't wearing the helmet, as it will reduce the shield's photochromatic lifetime. I don't have a top box that can fit the helmet so I slide a helmet bag over it when I park in the sun now.

I like the idea of a piece of plastic wrap over the shield. I generally store a shield in an old sock. Also, for helmets with flip down sun, I found that a tinted visor plus the shield results in about 94% reduction in light, which can be very helpful in early morning/late afternoon riding into the sun.

Along with our Face Shield Protector, when my face shield gets dirty, I clean it at a gas stop.

No need to remove the helmet. Grab the automotive windshield wiper sponge/squeegee our of the bucket (you do have to make sure the water and soapy solution at the gas pump is reasonably clean. . .I've seen some real gunk in that bucket), and just use the sponge part to wet/soften the bugs and road grime. Face shield closed, I just wipe it on, let it soak for a minute while the tank fills, and then scrub lightly with that spongy end to get the loosened junk off. I keep a small, clean microfiber towel in the tankbag, and that dries the face shield in a wipe or two.

Between that and making sure I keep my spare shield protected, I've been using the same clear shield and the same tinted shield for 7 years and two different Shoei helmets. Probably saved myself a couple hundred bucks in replacement shields.

Arai is about to release Pinlock inserts that will be 'photochromatic' similiar to the Bell. These will be only available as inserts for the Pinlock system and not full visor replacements, at least for now. They take about one minute to transistion from full dark to clear and vice versa. The tint when full dark will be between the current 'light smoke' and full 'dark' tints.

I spoke with an Arai rep at MotoGP in Indy about these-

price will be $78.00, could be released any time now as they were in transit at that time.

I use a clear shield and sunglasses but the BEST modification to improve vision was to cut my Nolan drop down tinted visor so that it was straight across the bottom and then roughed it up with sandpaper and painted it black. Now in the full down position, it drops to just above my line of vision and cuts the glare of morning or afternoon sun.

I use a clear shield and sunglasses but the BEST modification to improve vision was to cut my Nolan drop down tinted visor so that it was straight across the bottom and then roughed it up with sandpaper and painted it black. Now in the full down position, it drops to just above my line of vision and cuts the glare of morning or afternoon sun.

That is the first that I've heard of that. Genius!

What did you use to cut it?

Plexus and a soft cloth diaper. Nothing softer or easier on shields than a cloth diaper. Same thing on airplane screens which cost a whole heck of a lot more than a shield..

Archived