IGNORED

Best bluetooth communication device to get? SCALA??

PHARO

Im new to the SCALA type devices and am not sure what is the best one to get. I want to be able to sync my GPS, IPOD and phone and also be able to communicate with my passenger. Who makes the best system?

Thanks

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The G4 set we had worked ok most of the time.

However, it will not work with a Zumo 665 and a passenger.

I went to the J&M system and am not sold on it yet. In and out bluetooth connection.

I'm not sure if you're specifically asking about the Scala or Bluetooth comms in general. I have not used the Scala but I did recently convert from my tried and true Autocom Active7 Smart (w/ a GMRS radio) to the Sena SPH10. So far I'm pleased with the Sena unit. I selected the Sena after plenty of online research and a coin flip.

I have been also looking at com gear. found this one Brand: Uclear model: HBC100 or HBC200 for full duplex upgrade. I really like the videos from what i seen of how it works. might want to check it out. Im still trying to dig up reviews on the 200. and find some real users experience with one.

I had two generations of the Scala products and went to the Sena after my G4 started acting up (couldn't maintain volume so I could wear ear plugs). Love the Sena & would buy another.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Can you explain the G4 not working with the Zumo?

Terry,

Had the G4 set for a year and a half. Never had the full gumption to get them to work with the wife on the back since our rides were day long max, about every month or so on average and we could easily use hand signals and she knew what I was yelling anyway when someone pissed me off :mad: . We then did a multi-day ride and realized that nothing I tried from the Cardo emails would work (memory wipes, reset, reset, etc). I finally escalated and asked to return them for re-acceptance testing. A couple days of emails later they identified that the 665 and G4 don't work when in 2-up mode. You can either listen to the 665 or talk to your pillion. Not both. No, they wouldn't accommodate me in any way....even when I pointed out in the original emails shortly after purchase what the configuration was.

CoarsegoldKid

Can't say much about the G4 and I haven't tested the Scala G9 with pillion and Zumo 665. But overall I like the G9. Before getting the 665 my wife and I could listen to independent audio sources that were plugged into the G9. All worked well. What is irritating is the vox command control at speed. To turn on/off the music source you say "music on",or "music off". Same for Radio. The G9 could not understand my commands and would keep turning on whatever, music or radio.

The G9 does work fine for 665 directions and music from the Zumo library.

The G9 does have a larger memory of Scala G9 buddies of which to communicate. If you are riding in a group of G9 users(highly unlikely) you vox command their username and it will connect with them. They will not connect with other brands of communicators. I think this is a mistake on their part.

+1 for the Sena. We have the SMH 10. I like using in-ear speakers and Georgi prefers the external speakers. She put hers inside the ear pads of her helmet. We have found that line-of-sight is absolutely necessary for clear communication and occasionally the communication hierarchy is frustrating (the Zumo is ALWAYS first in line and will interrupt your conversation ruthlessly). The sound is very good quality. We usually just leave the com system on as we didn't like the vox option and don't like reaching up to hit the jog dial every time we want to talk. Battery life is impressive.

I had a Scala (don't remember the model). I hated it. Picked up a SENA SHM10 (Gen 1 with the non USB connection on the unit) an have been using it for over a year on an almost daily basis and love the thing. When this one's battery stops holding a charge I'll get another.

I currently have the Gen 2 Sena's. I have it sync's with my GPS and Ipod (the phone is sync'd to the GPS). I like the Sena's, they give good sound, the distance between bikes is great and you can conference four people in. When my neighbor and I go for a ride, the wives are usually on the back and we all four are talking.

But, I have taken notice of the uclear HBC 200. I'm waiting on more reviews to come out. What I really like is the boomless microphone. If the reviews prove the product, I may just be trading in my Sena's for a set of uclear HBC 200's.

I also have the latest USB updateable SMH10 and love the unit. I also looked at the HBC200 but it seemed it did not support using stereo ear plug usage. so that was a show stopper for me.

I also have the latest USB updateable SMH10 and love the unit. I also looked at the HBC200 but it seemed it did not support using stereo ear plug usage. so that was a show stopper for me.

Mine too. I have the SENA earbud base for my unit and wouldn't have it any other way. Seems to extend batter life a good bit too since the unit isn't driving a set of helmet speakers.

I have the Sena SMH10 with earbud connection. It works well, although I will say I have not taxed the more advanced functions.

One thing to point out about the earbud connection: mine started to break off even with gentle treatment and little usage time. It now dangles by its wires, which are frayed and no longer make a connection. I have requested a RMA from Sena, and the response is still pending. I am hoping they will just replace this low-cost item, not to mention redesign the thing. High quality construction otherwise.

One thing to point out about the earbud connection: mine started to break off even with gentle treatment and little usage time. It now dangles by its wires, which are frayed and no longer make a connection.

That connection is one of the reasons we switched from Scala to Sena. We had Arizona Al hardwire a connection to the Scala when I got my ear plugs made. But after 2 years those wires started to break and we went with the Sena. Within 2 weeks we noticed the connection cracking on the Sena. Very poor design! Because I didn't want to wait for a replacement right before the UN, I covered the connection with an electrical shrink tube, added some silicone sealant and for good measure zip tied the whole thing to the com port hole on my Nolan helmet so it would be stable. I still haven't bothered with getting a new one since the wires did not break.

Mine too. I have the SENA earbud base for my unit and wouldn't have it any other way. Seems to extend batter life a good bit too since the unit isn't driving a set of helmet speakers.

How long do you need the battery to last, I've done 10 hour days and my volume is always set to max with no issues from the Sena. I've got both the ear bud mount and the standard mount, I use the standard mount more than the ear bud mount simply because of the boom mike being permanently attached and easier to manage on the C3.

interesting I will watch my "mount" I have had my smh10 for about 7 - 8 months. every day usage with molded ear plugs. however I probably unhook my ear buds once a month at most. so that maybe why mine is not show any issue.

How long do you need the battery to last, I've done 10 hour days and my volume is always set to max with no issues from the Sena. I've got both the ear bud mount and the standard mount, I use the standard mount more than the ear bud mount simply because of the boom mike being permanently attached and easier to manage on the C3.

My unit will usually run for 7 to 8 hours when on the helmet speakers. I can eek out 10 or 12 when on earbuds.

Archived