IGNORED

Refinishing system cases with pickup bed liner.

8uLiebr

My 2002 system cases were showing their age with scratches(some severe) and with scuff pads either loose or already fallen off.

DSC05367.JPG

I decided to resurface the cases and, at least for now, I chose not to reattach the scuff pads for a cleaner look.

I disassembled them, drilling out the pop rivets to remove the hinges with a 9/64” drill bit. Through trial and error I learned the most efficient approach is to drill from the head end of the rivet. When the rivet head comes off the rest of the rivet pulls out from the other end.

After removing the remnants of the double-sided tape that held the scuff pads on, I wet sanded the lids and the bases. I used 400 grit sand paper but 180 grit would have been better as it leaves a texture that the bed liner can cling to. (After getting that smooth 400-grit sheen I went back and roughed them up a bit.)

I masked up the edges of the lids and bases making sure to protect the gasket in the base and the lip on the lid that mates to the gasket. I also masked the handles, the locking mechanisms, the frame mounts, the hinge mounting surfaces, reflectors, rondels and the heat shield on the bottom of the left-side bag.

I used Dupli-color Bed Armor without a primer coat which I hope was not a mistake. Rustoleum’s primer is also an etcher that could make for better adhesion. Time and miles will tell.

I replaced the pop rivets with M3 or M4 metric machine bolts with 27mm shafts, hex nuts with nylon inserts for better locking and washers.

IMG_0292.JPG

I was concerned about the exposed bolt shafts tearing or puncturing case contents, so I covered them with “Plasti Dip” rubber coating. This is the stuff typically used to coat tool handles.

IMG_0294.JPG

Here’s the finished product.

IMG_0288.JPG

Very clean look and a great savngs for sure. I used Krylon Fusion when mine needed a recoat. It really did the trick and looked like factory bag once again.

As for the length of the bolts, i recommend cutting them off flush with a dremel. They will get in the way and be a frustration.

I'm impressed! Nice look. I may try that when mine get a little more wear and tear. Thanks for sharing the process you used. If you get adhesion problems let us know.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Good on you Nelson!!! :clap:

Great job! I've been planing on doing that to mine but have'nt fround the courage nor ambition yet.

Looks like an excellent job. Where did you buy your bed liner product?

I REALLY LIKE IT!

Dave :)

You might consider using an acorn nut...

Acorn nuts would be great but the challenge is that the length of the bolt becomes an issue since the thickness of the case material differs from hole to hole.

You might consider using an acorn nut...

Acorn nuts would be great but the challenge is that the length of the bolt becomes an issue since the thickness of the case material differs from hole to hole.

That's where the Dremel comes in!

That looks really nice.

Even if soemone wanted to paint the outer cover to match the bikes paint, that is a GREAT option for the inner part of the box as well. Good job.

That looks really nice.

Thanks.

Another lesson learned: once spraying started, the spray nozzle got glommed up very quickly. This caused it to spit large droplets instead of the fine spray, requiring sanding and another coat to even things out. Remedy: I kept a water-wet cloth on hand and wiped the nozzle frequently to keep it clean and spraying evenly.

louisvillebob

My .02:

Use case liners. They are so convenient and save detaching and carrying the hard cases all around. I think a lot of cases get beat up by people carrying them around--and they can be heavy when loaded.

Having said that--good looking refurbish job. I like that look better than new.

Use case liners. They are so convenient and save detaching and carrying the hard cases all around.

Agreed. Case liners are great. I hvae them for the side cases but not the top case. Mine are by Kathy, available from Bob's BMW . I'm not sure they are waterproof/resistant, but like you said, it's much easier to pop them out of the case than it is to detach case from bike.

I checked out, Bob's BMW..Nice website, and I believe that I will order the Kathy's liners/luggage, for the K-as soon as I pay for the crash bars that are on their way, from Altrider.. Great job on transforming your bags-they look marvelous! Thanks for the informative article, and pictures!

• 2 years later...
Could you re-post the pictures, for some reason they did not load when I reviewed your thread

Did you notice the thread is over two years old?

Here is a more recent post on refinishing bags:

Link

Archived