IGNORED

Darien and Other Jackets

Deltamark

Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a cooler-weather motorcycle jacket. I would like the outer shell to be waterproof as much as possible and breathable (Gortex). I don't want to use a waterproof liner. And I will admit that it would be nice if it had a little bit of flair to it. I'm well familiar with the Aerostich Darien and am leaning to that, but am wondering if there are similar quality and featured jackets at that price point? There's currently a real good price on the 2010 model First Gear Teton Jacket, but I just dont know if the quality would compare with the Stich. So, are there any other jackets out there that I should take a look at, or is the Stich the way to go?

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one but I favor the Stich. You can layer under it as necessary or just wear it by itself. You'll be hard pressed to find any better customer service in the world.

Rider Mag did a review of jackets this month. Look for it at a news stand as it covers what you're looking for.

I bought a Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket last year for around $200 and I'm very happy with it so far. Pretty warm and dry, with a removable liner. Nice coat.

Rider Mag did a review of jackets this month. Look for it at a news stand as it covers what you're looking for.

I bought a Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket last year for around $200 and I'm very happy with it so far. Pretty warm and dry, with a removable liner. Nice coat. [/quote

I've been considering this as my next 3 season jacket how does it function during warmer (85+) Weather?

I've got a Darien, about 3 yrs / 75k miles old. Looks and works like brand new. I got the the fleece liner and use the jacket/liner combo down to about 50, then switch to a warm n safe heated liner from there. Stays dry in all day rain, very adjustable. Took about a month to get flexible, was pretty stiff out of the box. I wash it once a year in nik wax tx direct. Above 90 I switch to a mesh jacket if convenient, but the Darien is ok when you are under way due to all the ventilation.

+1 for the Darien. Great Product, super customer service. :clap:

I've had mine since 2000 and about 200k miles of use - it still works like a champ. I have a heated vest for it and riden in some gawd awful weather in the jacket, dry and toasty.

Recently sent it back to factory for a "freshening". It came back nice and clean with a bunch of little things fixed, a couple of zipper pulls and worn out velcro in a bunch of locations. Cost about 100.00$ for all the work they did. I have no doubt It will be good for another 10 years.

Dave

I've got a Darien, about 3 yrs / 75k miles old. Looks and works like brand new. I got the the fleece liner and use the jacket/liner combo down to about 50, then switch to a warm n safe heated liner from there. Stays dry in all day rain, very adjustable. Took about a month to get flexible, was pretty stiff out of the box. I wash it once a year in nik wax tx direct. Above 90 I switch to a mesh jacket if convenient, but the Darien is ok when you are under way due to all the ventilation.

Darien jacket and pants since 2002 and it still looks and works great!

When the temp drops I have the fleece liner or plug in the Kanetsu liner when the temp gets close to 50.

Very Good!

:thumbsup:

Hey Downs,

Sorry but I can't really say. By the time we get those kind of temps I'm into my Joe Rocket Kevlar Mesh Jacket.

It does get alot of air flow with all of the vents open, but I only use it as my Late Fall and Winter coat.

Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a cooler-weather motorcycle jacket. I would like the outer shell to be waterproof as much as possible and breathable (Gortex). I don't want to use a waterproof liner. And I will admit that it would be nice if it had a little bit of flair to it. I'm well familiar with the Aerostich Darien and am leaning to that, but am wondering if there are similar quality and featured jackets at that price point? There's currently a real good price on the 2010 model First Gear Teton Jacket, but I just dont know if the quality would compare with the Stich. So, are there any other jackets out there that I should take a look at, or is the Stich the way to go?

I recently purchased the Teton you mentioned since the deal was just too good to pass up. It seems like a good quality jacket that will be pretty versatile. I haven't had a lot of occasion to wear it yet as the temps have driven me to mesh recently but the times I did wear it I found it comfortable and functional. I did get caught in a heavy rain while commuting home one day and stayed dry without issue. The liner is very much like a windstopper type jacket all by itself and could be worn that way. I pretty much never use the liners that come with these jackets since I prefer to carry an electric vest in its place so that is a plus for me.

In my opinion the jacket weight, without the liner, is well matched for cool weather like we have in PA in spring and fall. The vents seem good, at least as good as any others I've tried. I have a Tourmaster Transition that I like for the colder temps and will probably continue to use that for that purpose. I also have a Tourmaster mesh jacket for the hot weather. As I said the Teton seems like it will fill in between those two nicely. I would say the quality is probably a bit above Tourmaster (as is the price).

So you know where I'm coming from I can't comment on comparisons with the more expensive (and presumably higher quality) gear like the Stitch. I'm not cheap :grin: but I do have a budget to worry about so it's just never been an option for me. If money were no object I might be tempted to go that route. Good luck with your search.

Look at the Olympia AST jacket. Revzilla is a good site to get all the info on this and other gear (not Aerostich). The AST is well vented but seals up tight in the rain and cold. My only complaint after 6 years is that the vents (zips and Velcro flaps) are a bit fiddly to get sealed or open. Otherwise it's great and sells at a fair price.

pete

Thanks everyone for the mini-reviews and recommendations!

I found a lightly used Darien and liner (size 42) for sale, but the size may be too big for me. I typically wear a 42R sportcoat but based on the measurements that I submitted to Aerostich, they recommended a 40. If I go this route, I'd probably be safer buying new so I could send it back if it didn't fit.

I appreciate the review on the Teton, Al. Since I'm planning to use the jacket for NW Ohio winter riding (when possible), sounds like it may not be the warmest option.

Pete, I looked at the Olympia AST and it looks like a strong contender. My only true motorcycle jacket for the past six years has been an Olympia mesh jacket and I've been very satisfied with it. I may have to go and check out the AST in person.

I saw the Rider Magazine review. Good article. I wasn't familiar with most of those jackets.

I'd seriously consider the 42 -- it's nice to have a bit of extra room for a heated liner in the winter and to help air circulate in the summer.

I'd seriously consider the 42 -- it's nice to have a bit of extra room for a heated liner in the winter and to help air circulate in the summer.

Yes,you want a bit of room for layering.

You can easily resell your used Aerostich for probably what you pay for it,if it does not fit.

Maybe the seller will offer money back refund(usually minus shipping costs)if it does not fit,would not hurt to ask.

JR356

Thanks for the Darien input. I heard though, that the Dariens already run a bit spacious. Is that the case?

Yes,you want a bit of room for layering.

You can easily resell your used Aerostich for probably what you pay for it,if it does not fit.

Maybe the seller will offer money back refund(usually minus shipping costs)if it does not fit,would not hurt to ask.

JR356

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older post but if you look down Rt 2 headed toward Wauseon from Swanton at around 6:00 am you should see me on my way to work. If no snow or ice down to around 9 degrees. For years on a red concoures now on a red 1150RT. I wear an older tourmaster with a heated liner or a tourmaster transition 2 if the temp is above 35.

Jack

The simple fact that many jackets compare themselves to the "Stich" should tell you a great deal. I have had mine for years. It is old and nasty and I still wear it if the weather is really bad. Buy a second mesh jacket for really hot summer days.

I had a Darien Falstaff for several years. The good: waterproof, comfy on my RT and RS with temps 45 to 75 (the vents work), stylin', quality. The not-so-good: insulation for riding when temp below 45, hot when temps above 75. I rode the 2008 SPANK rally wearing it, but on the southern leg of the trip I really wished for something lighter. The Falstaff has the nice soft collar, AFAIK the regular Darien doesn't. I lost a bit of weight and sold it a few years back.

Currently I'm riding most of the year in a FirstGear Kathmandu. I'm quite happy with it (it comes with a liner). It extends the ride range by about 10 degrees in each direction. It also has a fleece collar.

Still, got the new 'Stich catalog yesterday. The new Stealth suit is attractive in a Dark Side kind of way.

Thanks everyone for the mini-reviews and recommendations!

I found a lightly used Darien and liner (size 42) for sale, but the size may be too big for me. I typically wear a 42R sportcoat but based on the measurements that I submitted to Aerostich, they recommended a 40. If I go this route, I'd probably be safer buying new so I could send it back if it didn't fit.

I appreciate the review on the Teton, Al. Since I'm planning to use the jacket for NW Ohio winter riding (when possible), sounds like it may not be the warmest option.

Pete, I looked at the Olympia AST and it looks like a strong contender. My only true motorcycle jacket for the past six years has been an Olympia mesh jacket and I've been very satisfied with it. I may have to go and check out the AST in person.

I saw the Rider Magazine review. Good article. I wasn't familiar with most of those jackets.

If you normally wear a size 42 jacket, that's what I'd go with. At that size, you'll find it will accommodate a liner and not be too constricting.

There are a lot of nice options out here, but the thing I like about the Darien is that the Goretex layer is bonded to the shell fabric, rather than a second layer. Mine has been around a few years and still looks like new. If I had to offer a complaint, it would be that they start out pretty stiff and stay that way for a while. But, it's extremely durable and versatile.

Archived