IGNORED

seats

dstrat1

Ok guys, next question...rode my first 1150 rt and as a 5 foot 10 rider found it great except for the seat...it kept sliding me into and toward the tank, and what i felt i wanted was to slide my ass about 2 to three inches back and settle there....would not have minded being a inch lower either.....what seat will fix this the best..wunderlich, sargent, modified stock, or russell......all input apreciated....had the same problem on my glide untill i got a c and c and it made a world of difference...thanks....dave

Evening Dave

Fist try some seat jacks under the front seat adjuster. That will raise the front of the seat & hopefully keep you from sliding forward.

If that puts the seat too high then you will either have to work with a seat company to make you a lower seat that will work for you (big money) or re-work your seat to be lower & a bit narrower.

SeatShim.jpg

If you get to the point of considering a custom seat - See what Rich can do for you. He did my seat for exactly that same sliding forward, sitting on my bits & pieces. The guy is a genius when it comes to seats.

If you are looking for lower, you might want to check out Sargent. I have a Sargent "low" seat, and I like it. Seat preferences are a personal thing, so if possible, try out a couple before you buy.

how does the wunderlich rate, i do not see any mention of them?
I had one of those on my 1150 but while it was better than stock it wasn't nearly as good as the (Bill) Mayer or Russell. It's more of an intermediate distance - 300 to 500 miles. More and you'll want something customized for your butt.
how does the wunderlich rate, i do not see any mention of them?

You'd be much better off with the Touratech (rebadged Kahedo): I am absolutely chuffed with mine and it was also the cheapest option available here (about 40% less than Sargent).

Evening Dave

Fist try some seat jacks under the front seat adjuster. That will raise the front of the seat & hopefully keep you from sliding forward.

If that puts the seat too high then you will either have to work with a seat company to make you a lower seat that will work for you (big money) or re-work your seat to be lower & a bit narrower.

SeatShim.jpg

What DR said. The Big Mak Seat Jacks are NLA, but I've made a set out of flat aluminum stock from Home Depot, and others here have even used hardwood. You will need longer bolts to mount the seat adjustment mechanism once you get it elevated.

The second step is to lower the rear of the seat. This can be done by cutting down the tapered part of the open end of the rear seat bumpers, then cutting the posts down by 1/8". Do not lower the rear of the seat more than that or you will have engagement problems when you try and reinstall the rear seat.

With the front raised and the rear lowered, the tendency of the original seat to slide you forward onto you privates will be eliminated.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Great information!

It seems to me that this modification applies to the 1150's.

Any good advise (please) on how to raise the frount of the riders seat on a R1200RT?

Dave

Great information!

It seems to me that this modification applies to the 1150's.

Any good advise (please) on how to raise the frount of the riders seat on a R1200RT?

Dave

Drop the back a bit by grinding down the bumpers & slicing an 1/8 or 1/4" off the seat posts. If you have problems locking the rear & front together you can raise it again by gluing a penny or dime under the bumper or by raising the two serrated seat mounts by putting a washer under each of the mounting screws.
Dave_zoom_zoom

Thanks Jim

I've already tried that. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Nor did the Russell Day Long Saddle. I'm a bit lost as to what to try next.

Dave

Dave_zoom_zoom

Oh Yea----

I should mention, I have a 2006 R1200RT. Yes one of those with the whizze brakes (which I think are just great).

I bought the bike new and now have approx. 86,000km on it. This is without question the best of the many bikes I've owned. (7 in total) I love everything about it except for the saddle. It has always pushed me forward. After a long days ride the boys are just not very happy. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

I had a Wunderlich and the Sargent is way ahead of it in comfort and fit. Bought it initially as my low seat, a Corbin was lower and more comfortable! The Wunderlich has a reputation of being a good seat which it doesn't deserve.

Myrl

Archived