IGNORED

BMW GPS base plate - which GPS fits?

Luma46

Just purchased a VERY low mileage 2009 RT and it has mounted/connected the original BMW GPS baseplate. While I am not a big fan of extra wires hanging around my handlebars, I am thinking why not use this base when it is already neatly mounted in there. I know that Garmin Zumo 660 does fit this base, but I have researched this GPS and apart from high price, I am not impressed with what I read.

So I am wondering if there are other Garmin GPSs, even NOT water proof ones that would fit this base, have the connector on the back, as compared to usual USB one. Any ideas, or should I stick with my Oregon 300 that lasts 12 hours on two rechargeable batteries?

The mount & contacts are unique to the Zumo 660 and BMW Navigator IV.

Don't forget that the forums are full of people with problems.

The 660 is a tricky piece of equipment to understand. I have been using Garmin gear for 10 years and have found it difficult to get to grips with initially. I found the forums and You-tube helpful.

However it performed faultlessly on a 10 day trip across 4 European countries.

Although the Zumo fits, the Nuvi 550 is a great waterproof GPS. Much less expensive and as good as the Zumo IMHO. Bracket can likely be adapted, or something new designed.

Archived