IGNORED

Tire Wear

rfetested

How do you check a tire for wear? Haven't seen a post on this so I am hoping to get some input....I have no idea how to do this for a motorcycle...Thanks!

CoarsegoldKid

There are small bumps located just off center and spaced around the circumference of the tire within the sipes. When the bump is level with the surface the tire is said to be at the end of it's service life. Might go longer but displacing water is certainly compromised.

Visually if the tire has a squared-off look handling is compromised. You can decide that for yourself.

When a new tire is installed you will feel the quick turn-in that made you fell in love with the bike. When you lose that feeling change the tires if you can afford them.

There is another visual reference however. Some tires exhibit sever tread block deformation. I've heard folks call this cupping. In my opinion cupping traditionally is different. Do a search for tire cupping on the interweb and I see for yourself. Anyway for me the deformed tread block increases road noise and vibration. Why it happens? I'm not sure anyone has empirical evidence. I'm in the low tire pressure camp. You can of course shave off the raised edge of the block level with the tire surface. I've been known to do this.

On my K-RS tire wear is about 6000 miles for sport tires, 10,000 miles for sport touring tires. When the tire wear indicators (TWI) reaches the surface of wear, I have learned I have from 300-500 miles until metal is showing. It goes away far faster than you think. You can leave out on a trip and notice that the TWI is almost to the surface at the beginning and be in a serious worn out situation from a spirited 400 mile day ride. So pay attention. Typically when I get so I can see the TWIs are nearing the surface, I go ahead an order a set.

You can easily find the TWI by looking at the very edge of the tread. There will be some arrow, triangle, TWI symbol etc marking the points where those raised bars are located.

Don't get caught with worn out tires.

See this image. The TWI locator is almost worn away on the side of the tread area. I think it was a little arrow or triangle. You can see the raised area in the grooves. You can also see the center one is almost to the surface. This tire is by manufacturers recommendation, worn out. Once the bar gets to the surface it is just beyond that. I think I replaced this tire in less than 500 miles and by then it was quite evident it was needed, all but slick in the middle, the groove where the wear bar is currently at was worn away.

imgp0808m.jpg

NCS

Archived